snowy8171

Thoughts on Image Dynamics (ID-max) Subs???

Hey guys i was just wondering what you guys thought of the I.D.MAX-D4 or the I.D.MAX-CRD4? they seem like they are pretty good subs but im not really sure how they would be. I really like I.D., i have some 6.5 components up front and they are amazing. i have them running off of a sax 125.2. But i dont really know anything about their subs. Im in the market to upgrade my Sub. I have a dual 4 12" Alpine type-r running off a Saz 1000d. I really like the Sundown subs, and SSA subs, but want to get some opinions on the I.D. subs if anyone has any experience with them.

Very good subs.

Great subs, but it really depends what you want out of your sub stage.

Maybe you should move this topic to the suwoofers forum ?!!!

There are some news about ID. Not the same guys anymore.

Great subs, but it really depends what you want out of your sub stage.

ya true. i like it to be more geared towards SQ but can get loud also. the alpine type R i had isnt the best but Argent Audio built my box and really made it shine for what it was. i listen to all types of music, but the most is rap/hip-hop and club dance type music. i wish argent was still making boxes

good point i guess i missed that forum when scrolling. how do i move it

ya mainly its between I.D., sundown, and SSA for a new sub. i was leaning towards the sundown or ssa but the I.D. really caught my attention recently

I've owned products from all three companies including the IdMax. With the recent changes I'd check out products from SSA or Sundown who have a great product with awesome customer service.

Eric is gone. That's about the only change. It is significant, but the products haven't changed since he left. Customer service may have gone downhill, but they didn't exactly have a great reputation for CS to begin with.

The ID Max line is awesome, but they have a VERY tight gap and the slightest shift in alignment and you are left with an expensive paper weight and a long wait for repair if it ever gets repaired.

^damn, yea that would be all bad. my front runner right now was a sundown 12" z v.3. i think it could do the job much better then my alpine 12". i was really intrigued by the I.D. but the id max was as bout as much as the Sundown Z, and i prob would feel better about the Z.

It depends on what you want. None of those subs are in the same league or even remotely close to each other, so we cant compare them to each other. Well, we could, but it would be pointless. Not that you were comparing them anyways, but you get my point.

Main goal is sound quality, but still be able to get loud. Nice clean bass. Prob Go ported. Really anything for an upgrade from my type r. And how would you describe all 3 since you said they are not in the same league as each other. I dont know much about any of em

My 12" R was in a 2.0 tuned to 33 hz. It sounded pretty good

Edited by Ethan

it really depends on your definition of sound quality. My brains likes odd things. I like my music very mid-bass heavy, while I will EQ out a lot of the midrange and boost higher frequencies. Most people who listen to my setups don't like them. Bass is quite a bit easier though. General consensus would place the IDMax in the top category for "SQ" drivers. We're talking optimal applications here. It's a very accurate driver. The Type R would be more relegated to a mid-level driver. It's versatile and can do many things well without really excelling in any one area. It's a good all purpose driver. The Sundown Z is a serious driver and is more geared towards high power competition. I would think of it as that Type R on steroids. Very versatile, but shines at getting stinking loud and putting up numbers.

So the IDMax is like a Mercedes S Class. IT's a high dollar, high performance luxury machine. It's not a race car, but it can move and get serious if it needs to. It caters to a different crowd.

The Type R would be a Camaro or Mustang. Readily available, stable platform. Does a lot of things well with good performance in all areas, but nothing spectacular.

The Sundown would be a Lamborghini. You could drive it every day, but it won't always be ideal and sometimes get on your nerves, but when you want to put the hammer down, it's an animal.

I personally believe my ssa xcon 12" sounds better in a ported box then my old idmax in a sealed box. but I blew the Idmax and I didnt want to buy a recone for 180. and before the idmax I also had a alpine type r 12" the ssa xcon and idmax are in a whole nother league trust me.

also recones for a ssa xcon is only like $110 so its much cheaper to recone.

Edited by BavarianBeast

good looks on the info guys. ya i love bass but not a nut of it where im looking for just loudness. rather be clean loud bass than just plain loud. So ur saying the Z is more geared towards comp, so would prob not be ideal for daily driver? or could do both but better for comp. and ya im thinking of a SSA 12 also now.

which one of the SSA subs would be best for a good mix of SQ but can also get loud

Edited by Ethan

I personally believe my ssa xcon 12" sounds better in a ported box then my old idmax in a sealed box. but I blew the Idmax and I didnt want to buy a recone for 180. and before the idmax I also had a alpine type r 12" the ssa xcon and idmax are in a whole nother league trust me.

also recones for a ssa xcon is only like $110 so its much cheaper to recone.

and how easily did ur Idmax blow?

It really comes down to your definition of "loud", "clean", "sounds good", etc. For example, some people think some systems "sound great" that I find rather abhorrent.

It really comes down to your definition of "loud", "clean", "sounds good", etc. For example, some people think some systems "sound great" that I find rather abhorrent.

ya very true. my 12" type R was my first aftermarket sub. i felt it sounded pretty good for what it was. it really complimented by ID 6.5 components up front. so i guess im kinda new to "REALLY" knowing what sounds good. im kinda going by input of what others feel about the subs.

front components were ran on a sax 125.2, and sub was ran on a saz 1000d

Edited by Ethan

i have own both 12" alpine type R & 12" idmax in both sealed & ported boxes

type R is a "all-rounder" subs that can play both low & high bass well depending on the enclosure & how u set ur lpf & ssf

the idmax will murder the type R in every way meaning both sq & output

idmax : if u want it loud , it loves a large ported box (between 2.5-2.75cut) tuned high 20s to low 30z & a clean true 1000wrms is perfect for it

idmax also sounds great in a sealed box if u want it that way for a SQ applications but output is alot lower sealed

hope that helps

i have own both 12" alpine type R & 12" idmax in both sealed & ported boxes

type R is a "all-rounder" subs that can play both low & high bass well depending on the enclosure & how u set ur lpf & ssf

the idmax will murder the type R in every way meaning both sq & output

idmax : if u want it loud , it loves a large ported box (between 2.5-2.75cut) tuned high 20s to low 30z & a clean true 1000wrms is perfect for it

idmax also sounds great in a sealed box if u want it that way for a SQ applications but output is alot lower sealed

hope that helps

thanks alot that helps a good bit. Ya i love I.D. (my front comps) so i assumed they had a pretty good sub, but just never really heard anything about it. and also would going a lil lower than 2.5, prob round 2.2 ish give or take still be good? i have a 2011 toyota camry and the trunk is pretty big but id like to have at least some space left. my 2.0 box for my alpine was nice, cause i still had some space for luggage. i would prob just get it to be as wide as possible

and did you have the chrome series or the regular one?

Edited by Ethan

IDmax is a good sub, kind of expense for what it is though. IMO.

Do you have all the specs for your box? Have you thought about picking whatever sub that is on your list, that will perform the best in your current box? If you have enough port area, that would be a good way to save money and maybe be able to put that towards a more expensive sub.

good looks on the info guys. ya i love bass but not a nut of it where im looking for just loudness. rather be clean loud bass than just plain loud. So ur saying the Z is more geared towards comp, so would prob not be ideal for daily driver? or could do both but better for comp. and ya im thinking of a SSA 12 also now.

which one of the SSA subs would be best for a good mix of SQ but can also get loud

The sundown Z series subwoofers are geared towards SQ.

And like all sundown drivers they will take a beating and get loud if you want them to.

SSA icon is also a good sounding driver.

Do you have all the specs for your box? Have you thought about picking whatever sub that is on your list, that will perform the best in your current box? If you have enough port area, that would be a good way to save money and maybe be able to put that towards a more expensive sub.

ya Argent Audio from here built it.

2.0 cubes @ 33 Hz

16 deep

15.75 tall

27 wide

and i thought it wasnt the most ideal thing to do to reuse a box. and im not set on ID,sundown,ssa. im still trying to figure it out. and budget isnt a problem

The sundown Z series subwoofers are geared towards SQ.

And like all sundown drivers they will take a beating and get loud if you want them to.

SSA icon is also a good sounding driver.

The Z is another great option