Sign in to follow this  
arctictwist

downfire question

i have a 16x19 area for the bottom of my box. im downfiring my ICON 10. any reason to have the whole bottom elevated instead of just a 12 inch square around the sub? Im trying to gain some volume anywhere i can.

Edited by arctictwist

Box sealed or ported...

And the reason to elevate the entire box would be for better response, in essence if only the sub were raised, you would be trapping all of the pressure in your floor and loosing a substantial amount of output.

Also if your base is 16" x 9", you don't have enough room to mount an Icon 10, granted the cutout is only going to be ~9", but the sub surround and the mounting hardware will be much closer to 9.6".

oops typo. 16x19. i would leave the front open. so there would be a 2x12 slot at the bottom of the front face of the box. box will be ported. also im flush mounting it. so itll be about two inches from the surround

Edited by arctictwist

soooo, heres a crappy paint drawing of what i mean. the top is a top down view. so the square where the sub is mounted would be all the way at the front of the box. and the bottom part is a front view of the box. so you could see theres a slot the same width as the baffle for the sub. will this affect response vs having the whole bottom raised?

Untitled-1.png

Now that I have to correct info in here can someone give me some insight?

Not sure if people are understanding your box layout, maybe lable the drawing whith top bottom sub ect... It is a little hard to understand it. If I understand you correctly it would be a channel elevated all the way through and not the whole bottom.

So the box, is for under the seat in my 08 silverado. Im doing a seat lift of 3 inches to accommodate it. As some of you know, space is limited so im trying to get what every i can for air space. I would like to cut of the box at some point and utilize the rest of the underseat space for a storage box, However if i cant, well i cant. The sub is more important. So what Im asking is if basically like the last post said, its a channel under the box for the sub. The baffle where the sub is mounted would be raised roughly two inches off the floor. That would be to about the surround because it will be flush mounted. Im wondering if this will have any affect on performance as opposed to having the entire bottom of the box raised two inches off the floor.

Untitled-2.png

Thats how the factory sub in Lincoln trucks is firing,

I think it will affect it, but idk how noticeable it will be.