Sign in to follow this  
Briggiboy33

1awg firewall bushing, gromett? Where would i get one?

I am planning to upgrade my power wire to 1 awg sgx or sxg... Idk which it is... But i cant find anywhere to get the bushing through the firewall. And i dont think this size wire will fit under the trim pannel on the floor along the doors... How should i run this size wire? I have a 2006 tundra access cab. There is a center console in the middle that i may be able to use to help hide it. It is going just directly behind the drivers seat. I already have a hole in the firewall for the 8awg all the way to the left side so it is pretty straight from batt to the rear any help is better than nothig.Thanks

well here is a gromet to use

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=SB0

how do you get the gromet into the hole... use the correct drill for starters.

I don't know what to tell you other then drill out the 8awg and make it 1/0 awg.

what are you having an issue with? correct drill size? drill sharpening?

okay so you get a 1/0 gromet and you toss 1 awg though it lol bigger gromet never hurt

so are you able to drill out the 8awg hole with a bigger drill bit? or no>? have you considered running it under the truck?

I'd go to your local Menards and get the correct size waterproof strain relief,

Grommets give me nothing but problems.

http://www.menards.c...0760-c-9538.htm

lol I use those all the time at work lol! they are great little guys! although in this case I would definitely use grommets as he is just passing the wire through

Edited by CrazyKenKid

Run it under the cab of truck and come up through floor wire harness for seat and seat belt wiring had same vehicle u can cut rubber grommet on harness and fit it through

Ahhh iv never heard of menards... But where does the seatbelt wires go through the floor?

lol I use those all the time at work lol! they are great little guys! although in this case I would definitely use grommets as he is just passing the wire through

Passing it through the fire wall is the ideal time to use them.

The cable won't move once it's tight and grommets aren't waterproof.

If you get the correct size grommet, it's a pain to pull the cable through without the grommet pulling out of the hole at some point.

Now you have to get the damn thing back in or pull the cable out and start over.

These are less than $3.00 at Menards and I'd gladly pay more than that for the lack of problems when using them.

The hole still needs to be drilled anyway and it'll be alomst the same size either way.

Why not use the strain relief?

Ahhh iv never heard of menards... But where does the seatbelt wires go through the floor?

Any local builders supply store should carry them, Lowes, Home Depot or an electrical supply store could have a better selection.

Either way I'd use the plastic ones not the metel ones.

Sorry, You'd have to drive to Akron, Ohio to get to the closest Menards.

Edited by cobra93

Thank you. So when i get the wire bring in a small piece to homedepot and make sure it fits

If you get the correct size grommet, it's a pain to pull the cable through without the grommet pulling out of the hole at some point.

Now you have to get the damn thing back in or pull the cable out and start over.

These are less than $3.00 at Menards and I'd gladly pay more than that for the lack of problems when using them.

The hole still needs to be drilled anyway and it'll be alomst the same size either way.

Good point. I guess I have always been lucky and never had to go through my firewall!

Get what this guy suggests for a PAIN free life and install lol! Next time i have to go through my firewall I will most likely being using these also, mostly because Cobra brings up a good point and I have them readily available at my disposal!

Good point. I guess I have always been lucky and never had to go through my firewall!

Get what this guy suggests for a PAIN free life and install lol! Next time i have to go through my firewall I will most likely being using these also, mostly because Cobra brings up a good point and I have them readily available at my disposal!

I wouldn't say "pain free", but I don't feel the need to smash something with a hammer afterwards, like I do when using grommets.trink40.gif

So should i just try to run the power wire along the center console?