ctmaudi

Efficient 6.5 Component Set For Stock HU, No Amp

Any recomendations on a highly efficient 6.5" comp set, in the sub $150 range? My car has a factory Pioneer touch screen nav that I dont want to mess with, so just running off stock power. The factory tweeters suck, the door speakers are ok with decent mid bass, but cant hold up to highway speeds with the windows down.

Was going to do LOC to amp and what not, but after 5k miles the factory system died. So I dont want to have a bunch of spliced wires back there during warranty period incase it happens again.

I have a couple sets of CCX65s, but they really seem to want to be amped. Want something that will be half way decent on the stock ~20w or so.

I could also just keep using my CTS-1 tweeters, and just upgrade the mids in the doors as well.

Hmmm, have you completely ruled out installing just a small amplifier? Those are great speakers in your pocession, since you have already mentioned running a LOC, you can use that for signal to your amplifier.

Why not run a small amp with speaker level inputs? Often you can find one that has auto sense so you don't even need a remote turn on.

I had gotten an Audiocontrol LC6I and Hifonics GLX100.4 a few months ago and just never installed the stuff yet.

Figured with the car being new, and the HU being under warranty and failing after only 5k miles, I didnt want to give them an excuse if the new one would fail too (since there is no track record yet for this unit to know if its a common issue or not).

If there is a way to wire it without splicing in to the back of the HU at all, then I could probably do that.

Though, I do plan to get another vehicle shortly that I can do whatever to and put all my good stuff in there anyway.

JBL p660c are a 2 ohm speaker that should play louder than a 4 ohm one would but it i can't say your H/U would like running that low of a load.

Best bet is a line converter and mini amp you can stuff under a front seat like the arc audio mini amp line.

Impedance has nothing to do with loudness. Being 2ohm only means it will draw more current than a 4 ohm driver.

I agree with the idea of buying a small amplifier with hi-level inputs. What is your overall budget?

I would definitely recommend NOT using the JBL p660c. I have them paired with 80 watts rms from a Boston amp and they love more power, not less.

The LC6I and GLX100.4 fit under my seats (its the reason I picked that amp). Was going to run both sets of CCX65s at 2ohm channels 1+2, and bridge 3+4 for my sub.

Will it work without anything directly from the back of HU?

you will have tap speaker wires for signal at some locations. thats it