HawkEye

Do I Need Longer Aero Ports?

Hey all.I was just wondering if I should get longer aero ports.Right now I have 2 4" PSP aero ports and they are kinda short in my opinion.I wasnt real sure on which way to measure them so I measured them from flare to flare.I was aiming for 35hz for my tuning.The flares right now are 11" long from flare to flare.The tube part is only 5" long and the rest of the length is the flares.Here is my setup info.

I have 4 10" DC Audio Level 3 m2's with level 4 upgrades and a dc 5k

My box deminsions are 16" Tall x 30" Wide x 23" Deep.

So should I lengthen my ports to get more port area or not?

Let me know if anymore info is needed please.Thanks

Edited by HawkEye

By making them longer it will only tune it lower.. you will need larger size diameter for more port area.

You need ALOT more port area.

You definitely need more port area. But lengthening the ports won't give you more port area. You need bigger ports. Like 6"

I agree, port area is an issue there.

As others have stated, you need more port area. Port area = width * length of square/rectangular port, or 3.14r^2 where r = radius for a circular port (in your case).

Since you have two 4" aeros, r=2, 3.14(2^2)=12.56in^2, and since you have two, multiply by two, so 25.1in^2 is your current port area.

Increasing the port length would lower the tuning frequency, and increase the port speed / vent mach (which you really do not want).

I'll just reiterate, you need WAY more port area. You have enough for one ten.

Ok i didn't know that I was that short on port area.So what would you guys recommend?Would 2 6" aero ports work?

Edited by HawkEye

Ok i didn't know that I was that short on port area.So what would you guys recommend?Would 2 6" aero ports work?

That would be much better, but I would use even more if possible.

do like 4, 6" ports...

do like 4, 6" ports...

Ok but how would I put them in my box?Could I do like 2 in the front and 1 on each side or how would I do that?

do like 4, 6" ports...
Ok but how would I put them in my box?Could I do like 2 in the front and 1 on each side or how would I do that?

pics of the box ??

do like 4, 6" ports...

pics of the box ??

I dont have any pics but here is a vid that shows the box in it.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.

Do three 6" aeros rear firing. You will need a new box or external port, as the volume taken up by the port is going to increase by a lot.

Do three 6" aeros rear firing. You will need a new box or external port, as the volume taken up by the port is going to increase by a lot.

Ok.If i do a box that is 16 tall x 35 wide x 23 deep and 3 6" aero's it looks like i would have to have each port be 42" long.So how could i do this???

Ok.If i do a box that is 16 tall x 35 wide x 23 deep and 3 6" aero's it looks like i would have to have each port be 42" long.So how could i do this???

External port, or use a slot port.

slot port ftw... :)

Lol i guess slot port it is then.Thanks all for your help.I guess i should study more b4 building a box lol

Lol i guess slot port it is then.Thanks all for your help.I guess i should study more b4 building a box lol

You live and you learn man.

Yup! You've reached the reason why so many people use slot ports :)

more port area needed

i usually use 1 4" for a 10" sub

Ok ive been thinking this.I really want to keep aero ports so what if i did 4 4" aero ports?

Also I would kinda like to keep the box I have at the moment so would I be able to put 1 on the left and 1 on the right side of my box?I dont have enough room with the way I put the ports in on the front.Would it sound funyy or anything?

all 4 4" ports wont fit on one side ??

all 4 4" ports wont fit on one side ??

No.I could fit a 3rd one on the same side but not a 4th

hmm not sure if that would make it sound funky or not... i would let some other ppl chime in...