Sign in to follow this  
bokeson

What electrical upgrades are needed for 3500 watts?

Ok, so this is my firts time actually building a legit system. I had 2 sundown sa 12's before but it wasn't enough so I'm going with Zv2 12's. I plan on running them off of a Crescendo BC3500D @ 1ohm. I have the Big 3 done in RF 1/0. The 1/0 going to the back will be replaced with something OFC. But other than that what will I need to sufficiently power this amplifier?

I'd suggest another battery or two and if that isn't enough a new alternator would be best.

to get the most out of that amp, your going to need a HO alt ( atleast 200 amp id say if not more) 2 runs of OFC 0 gauge from front to back, 2 drycell deep cycle batteries (xs power is a GREAT choice but if ur limited on $$ like most of us, id recommend the deka 9a31 or c&d electric batteries... great batteries for the cheap. these are the upgrades i did on my truck to run a audioque3500.1 @ .5ohm. there is a LOT more to car audio than meets the eye hahahah

hope this helps :)

do you think a DC power 180 amp alt, 2 kinetik Hc2000's in the back, and a xs d3400 up front would be enough? along with 2 runs of some ofc welding cable?

do you think a DC power 180 amp alt, 2 kinetik Hc2000's in the back, and a xs d3400 up front would be enough? along with 2 runs of some ofc welding cable?

as long as ur runnig that amp at one ohm and not half, you should be good. that amp will give those subs a run for there money lol should sound good

Nice. That sounds like my plan then. They are dual 1s so they will be run at 1ohm. Thank you for your help!

Batteries are going to be a must. The alt will depend on your listening habits.

One really big or two smaller batteries in the back near the amp in addition to the one under the hood. A single run of 1/0 from the alt will really be plenty since the run from the rear batteries to the amp will handle the majority of the current and the alt run will mostly be recharging the batteries.

When you say the alt depends on my listening habits what do you mean? I do like to wang out on my subs. And one rune of 1/0 to the back batteries should be good?

What kind of music? Long droning bass notes, or kick drum and bass guitar? If the former, the alt will probably have to be upgraded. If the latter, it actually might not. It comes down to average current draw, not peak.

Likewise, even with a 200A alt, the batteries are going to be handling the peak current transients and the alternator is only going to replace the energy that was pulled from the batteries during the lulls. I wouldn't expect more than 100A or so over the run to the back, even if the amp draws over 300A on a musical peak. That peak current is coming from the rear batteries. The alt certainly can't provide it. As such, all you care about is the voltage drop caused by that amount of current. For 100A, 1/0 is more than enough to make sure that volatge drop is minimal.

Great advise from all the above.

Another route you could take, is to simple install one piece at a time, and go from there. Like, add one g31 batt, if that doesn't work, then install another, if that doesn't work, etc etc etc. Also, buy a volt meter, and see where your going. If you are droping to below 12.8 or so constantly, then I would suggest investing into an H/O alt, I suggest going with Singer Alternators.

My current install consist of 1 Factory 130a alt, one batt from wal mart under the hood, and one D3100 in the rear. Using a BC5500 and my voltage has been great.

I'm doing the same kind of build. I got the BC3500 it's going to be running 2 12" ssa zcons for the win. I'm putting a 180 amp DC alternator and i put a xs power 5100 and a 3100 in. I've not tried it out yet still waiting for one of the biggest pieces of the build but i did my big 3 in o gauge. Haters will hate do you research on everything before you start.

I'm doing the same kind of build. I got the BC3500 it's going to be running 2 12" ssa zcons for the win. I'm putting a 180 amp DC alternator and i put a xs power 5100 and a 3100 in. I've not tried it out yet still waiting for one of the biggest pieces of the build but i did my big 3 in o gauge. Haters will hate do you research on everything before you start.

Nendo + SSA = WIN

Edited by Sencheezy

thank you for all of the advice. right now i'm tight on money so iv been thinking i'm going to get a xs d3400 and try to put it under the hood and if that is not enought put a second one in the back. i have one xtx5000.1 for 2 ssa icons and i'm thinking about getting another amp. hopefully 2 3400s would be enough for roughly 4000 rms at 2 ohm? (sorry if i steal your thread)

Unless it's for competition I wouldn't even waste the time/money adding a 2nd amp.

its a dd but i'm one of few in my other team thats actually working for numbers. other than just ground pounding.