Sign in to follow this  

How do i know what size fuse to get? 20 amp or 300 amp? Is it a preference thing or what? Anybody care yo elighten me...

How do i know what size fuse to get? 20 amp or 300 amp? Is it a preference thing or what? Anybody care yo elighten me...

What size wire?

0 guage of course :P

But either way, does the size wire make a difference? and why? I know its a lot of questions lol but it just hit me, ive never seen two people have the same amp fuse.

You fuse according to wire size, for 0 use 300-350

ok cool. I kinda figured there would be more variables involved lol. Altenator size, amplifier size yada yada.

Thank you again man!

The fuse is there to protect the wire itself. It keeps the wire from passing too much current, heating up and potentially causing a fire. Which means it's not just the stated wire gauge but the actual current carrying capabilities of the wire. For example, some CCA wire or undersized cheap wire may have lower current carrying capabilities than a true 0 gauge copper wire and would need to be fused accordingly.

The one caveat I will add is that some amplifiers are not internally fused. If this is the case then you need to fuse to whichever has the lowest fusing requirement, either the amplifier or the wire. But as long as the amplifier(s) have their own internal fusing, you select fuse size based on the current carrying capabilities of the wire.

If you compete in a Sanction such as MECA, you will fuse accordiingly to the class you want to compete in. My example is that I use to run in Street 1. So even though i have 0 gauge, I could only use I think a 30a fuse, even though my amp was a aq1200 and used 0 gauge. So of course the fuse blew, but thats whats suppose to happen, it held long enough to get my score though of course.

So if my amp is fused for 150A and my Alt puts out 150, a 150 amp fuse is too small with 1/0 gauge.....?

Ahh, just read Impious' post. So I'm fine, then... right?

Edited by wannabang

So if my amp is fused for 150A and my Alt puts out 150, a 150 amp fuse is too small with 1/0 gauge.....?

Ahh, just read Impious' post. So I'm fine, then... right?

Having a lower than recommended fuse won't hurt it'll just blow sooner.

I usually fuse to my amplifiers total current draw. It's simple to figure out what size fuse to use. Total wattage divided by total voltage. Ohm's Law has never failed me, at least I do not blow fuses. smile.png

I usually fuse to my amplifiers total current draw. It's simple to figure out what size fuse to use. Total wattage divided by total voltage. Ohm's Law has never failed me, at least I do not blow fuses. smile.png

This.