Robertjr79

Need help/advice on box

So my system was stolen out of our mini van but the left the 7" touch screen, it was all old stuff been saving this year to replace it next summer anyways. But I got sick of not having any bass so I got 2 Phoenix Gold QX 12" for $20 off a friend and I picked up a Phoenix Gold QX180.2 and Phoenix Gold ZX350 for $65. The 180.2 will run my kappa (witch are running off the deck right now) in the front door and the ZX350 will run the 2 12" @ 2 ohms.

Now my question is, if I would build a box for each 12" would it sound the same as one box for both 12"? The reason I want to build 2 boxes and not one, is I'm planing on putting one box on each side of the van and build a amp rack in between each box to hold the amps. That way it will leave me room for the stroller when we need it, so the stroller would be in front of the amp rack and between the two boxes. Not sure if you can picture what I mean? Does that make any sense?

Any help and/or input would be great.

Thanks

Edited by Robertjr79

As long as the boxes are perfect copies of each other, you shouldn't have an issue doing it that way.

One thing we have done at the shop is to build a box that takes up the whole back of the truck, left to right and front to back. But it's only 5"-6" tall, and do subs and port on down fire. You then wrap it in carpet and it looks like the factory floor is just raised up a few inches. Helps with thefts too. ;)

Edited by bassahaulic

So my system was stolen out of our mini van, it was all old stuff been saving this year to replace it next summer anyways. But I got sick of not having any bass so I got 2 Phoenix Gold QX 12" for $20 off a friend and I picked up a Phoenix Gold QX180.2 and Phoenix Gold ZX350 for $65. The 180.2 will run my kappa (witch are running off the deck right now) in the front door and the ZX350 will run the 2 12" @ 2 ohms.

Now my question is, if I would build a box for each 12" would it sound the same as one box for both 12"? The reason I want to build 2 boxes and not one, is I'm planing on putting one box on each side of the van and build a amp rack in between each box to hold the amps. That way it will leave me room for the stroller when we need it, so the stroller would be in front of the amp rack and between the two boxes. Not sure if you can picture what I mean? Does that make any sense?

Thanks

Yes that will work just fine. :WELCOME: to SSA!

As long as the boxes are perfect copies of each other, you shouldn't have an issue doing it that way.

One thing we have done at the shop is to build a box that takes up the whole back of the truck, left to right and front to back. But it's only 5"-6" tall, and do subs and port on down fire. You then wrap it in carpet and it looks like the factory floor is just raised up a few inches. Helps with thefts too. wink.png

So my system was stolen out of our mini van, it was all old stuff been saving this year to replace it next summer anyways. But I got sick of not having any bass so I got 2 Phoenix Gold QX 12" for $20 off a friend and I picked up a Phoenix Gold QX180.2 and Phoenix Gold ZX350 for $65. The 180.2 will run my kappa (witch are running off the deck right now) in the front door and the ZX350 will run the 2 12" @ 2 ohms.

Thanks

Yes that will work just fine. WELCOME.gif to SSA!

Great thanks a lot for your help. Does any one know the QX subs? I can't seem to find much about them online. I emailed PG but still haven't got a reply back. All I was able to find was they are 200 watts rms /300 watt peak. Not sure on what box size they need.

EDIT: would 2 cube per sub be good for the QX? OR do they need to be bigger?

Edited by Robertjr79

One thing we have done at the shop is to build a box that takes up the whole back of the truck, left to right and front to back. But it's only 5"-6" tall, and do subs and port on down fire. You then wrap it in carpet and it looks like the factory floor is just raised up a few inches. Helps with thefts too. wink.png

I thought of some thing like that but during winter the snow from the stroller would melt on everything. Also would probably damage the box with all the snow and water. There is also a alarm/starter combo now installed.

Edited by Robertjr79

I thought of some thing like that but during winter the snow from the stroller would melt on everything. Also would probably damage the box with all the snow and water. There is also a alarm/starter combo now installed.

Build the box out of birch and wrap it in vinyl. ;)

Build the box out of birch and wrap it in vinyl. wink.png

Could always do that, thanks.

Build the box out of birch and wrap it in vinyl. wink.png

Could always do that, thanks.

Just trying to help you get the most out your vehicle and system.

How do I go and figure how much displacement the port take?

Same a box width x height x depth / 1728

How do I go and figure how much displacement the port take?

Same a box width x height x depth / 1728

Thanks

Ok so I gave it a quick try and a box, does that look around right?

Boxes 13" wide X 26" high X 16" deep and .75" thick = 2.3622 cube

Port 2" high X 11.5" wide X 18.72" long around 34 hertz = .25 cube

2.3622 - .25 = 2.1122 cube with out sub displacement? I can't image the QX 12" taking that much air space.

If that sound and looks right, would that box be ok for the QX subs?

EDIT: is that too much/not enough port?

@ 13" wide X 2 thats 26" leaves me with 22" for the amp rack.

Edited by Robertjr79

If I could use the boxes above it would be great cause I just measured the stroller and its 21.5" wide.

How do I covert 224in3 in cube so I could find out the sub displacement?

EDIT: never mind found it 0.12963 so that the sub displacement?

Edited by Robertjr79

Yes, the sub displacement is 0.12963 cuft.

Thanks should be building the boxes and amps rack this weekend. I'll post pictures of the build as I get things done.

Thanks for all your help guys.