Sign in to follow this  
trpkkd

how much?

I have a 03 ford explorer that I'm planning on doing a full build on soon hopefully over the winter. I have a seasonal job so I'm free all winter. I want to do this the right way so I figured I would start with sound deadening. I think I'm going to go with second skin damplifier but I'm unsure about how much I will need to order. I think I will do the roof and the doors rear hatch included. Does anyone know approximately how many sq. feet I would need?

Simple solution.

Contact Don @ Sounddeadenershowdown.com

Tell him exactly what you are looking to do, your vehicle, what the goals are for the deadening. He'll email you back requesting a list of measurements from the vehicle if he doesn't already have them on record. Once he has the vehicle measurements he will email you with an extremely detailed plan for deadening the vehicle based on your goals. That includes a break-down of exactly how much of what products he recommends for you vehicle and how or what method to apply them based on your goals and proper sound deadening techniques and performance along with a break down of cost. From there you can decide if you wish to proceed with his recommendations (which I'd recommend), or if not which products you do and don't want to use if there are budgetary or time constraints.

He's sometimes bombarded with emails, and his responses are time consuming as they are very detailed, so do allow him a little bit of time. If you don't hear back in a couple days, shoot him another email or PM him on one of the forums and just ask him to check your first email.

Not only is he one of the most knowledgeable in the industry when it comes to sound deadening, but he also has the most detailed and thorough method of laying out a deadening plan for the vehicle as well as some of the highest quality products on the market. There really isn't a better option. You won't have to guess at how much deadener or take suggestions on how much of your money to spend on deadening from some random person on an internet forum who may or may not know what they're doing. You'll get a detailed analysis from the most knowledgeable guy in the industry smile.png

Awesome response!

Here is something to get you started, direct from Don

" I'd need

> > some more detailed measurements from which to create an estimate and

> > describe how I would treat your Explorer:

> >

> > 1) Height and width of front door exterior sheet metal.

> > 2) Height and width of front door interior trim panels.

> > 3) Height and width of rear door exterior sheet metal.

> > 4) Height and width of rear door interior trim panels.

> >

> > 5) Height and width of the kick panel/front foot well outer sides.

> > 6) Width of the floor (include the sides and top of the center tunnel if

> > there is one and the height of each outer sill).

> > 7) Distance from as far up the firewall as you can reach to the front

> > edge of the front seats.

> > 8) Distance from the front edge of the front seats to the front of the

> > base of the platform for back seat.

> > 9) Height and width of the vertical riser running from the floor to

> > platform the back seat sits on.

> > 10) Length and width of the back seat platform.

> >

> > 11) Height and width of the wall behind the back seat if there is one.

> >

> > 12) Length and width of the roof.

> > 13) Length and width of the sun roof (if any).

> >

> > 14) Length and width of the cargo area floor.

> > 15) Depth and diameter (depth, length and width, if not circular) of

> > spare tire well.

> > 16) Height and width of the rear quarter panels.

> >

> > 17) Height and width of cargo door exterior sheet metal.

> > 18) Height and width of cargo door interior trim panel.

> >

> > Thank you.

"

I believe Don saves all of the measurements he receives from people, so if he's already had some customers with the same or similar vehicle it will save OP some time of having to do the measurements himself.

From what I understand, he does keep as much data as possible. The future goal might be a well built form field site page where customers just input the measurements in and it will calculate out needed material based on goals, vehicle, budget etc. But that is a major undertaking and Don has the software development and website design ability to do it.

Very thorough and great guy, but like others have said, good luck getting in touch with him.