thanosdbfan

Xterminator series popping when shut down at 2Ω

I recently installed a 1600.2 in a PUG 206 1.6 .Τhe amp was running 8 8" Celestion truvox 8Ω mids. (4 per channel) so the nominal impedance per channel was 2Ω .The amp is a true beast despite the small size.It rocked the mids like hell,but when i turned it off it popped with a quite annoying noise...I checked the wiring,reset the source unit (Alpine CDA 9835) replaced the RCAs, the power/ground cable the speaker cable and retested.Νο improvement .Still the amp kept popping when i turned it off.I raised the impedance to 4Ω/channel and the popping disappeared!Retested again at 2Ω and it came back :Doh::Doh:

At one last attempt i swapped the amp with another 1600.2 and it did the same popping at that setup while at 4Ω load everything was ΟΚ...

Finnaly i tried a 800.4 in bridged mode and everything was ΟΚ...

Is there a problem in the 2 channel Xterminator series, or is there a hint that i should know ?... :stupid::stupid:

did the amp make a popping noise, or the speaker?

how much power were you running the amp? that could also be the problem.

Groundloop.

Keep the ground cable as short and thick as posible.

If this is not working, than try to connect a timedelay between the amp-remote and your headunit.

Edited by 4-live

Τhe speakers pop when i switch off the amp , not the amp itself...

ΟK i guess it must be groundloop but why is this happenning only with the 2 channel 1600.2 at 2 Ω and not with the 800.4?

Α time relay would proppably solve the problem but i wonder if there is factory missview... on the PCB

Τhe speakers pop when i switch off the amp , not the amp itself...

ΟK i guess it must be groundloop but why is this happenning only with the 2 channel 1600.2 at 2 Ω and not with the 800.4?

Α time relay would proppably solve the problem but i wonder if there is factory missview... on the PCB

False. The speakers do nothing unless the amp tells them too. No 2 ways about it.

Dunno.

Dunno. I just know the simple fix.

Are you sure all your mids are still okay?

Well, yes the mids are all ΟΚ and the 2 super tweeters too, luckily...The front stage system relies on a ΧΤ 800.4 now without any popping problem...

But i really wanted a 1600.2 to drive them

well other than the popping problem, what do you think about the Xterminators? hows the clarity, how do they push the speakrs compared to other amps? we need more comparison reviews around here

Appart from the popping the amp is furious!!! :slayer::slayer::slayer: We set the gains to less than half and the 8 mids were stompimg like crazy!!!!Loud and clear sound...all the way up to Vol 35!!!

The setup used an INTERFIRE IFB 2900 to run the mids and when we switched to the XT 1600.2 the difference was way more than obvious... :fing34:

The XT have no muting circuits, in order to reduce cost with out limiting output. With that many coils, there will be some inductive kick back. Less so on 4 channel because it is designed to drive more speakers.

Glad it worked out for you. US AMPS are set to run a two ohm stagnent load. Most the time, a speakers 1 ohm load will not be a challage for the amp.