So my question is, how many have tried a 12v battery with a 2v battery in series to get 14v and charge at 16.3-16.8 volts... And this would be a daily / spl setup. so let me hear all the pro's @ con's, I think it would rockbunny.gifbunny.gif

there was a company i forget who, but they made essentially the same thing, it was a dual voltage battery one post for 12 and one post for 14, you charged it via the 14v terminal but ran your cars electronics off the 12v one

Why?

I have little room to work with and xs 14 volt batteries are only 50 ah and cost to much.. I could get more power with 12v 100ah and 2v 100ah in series ..So say i have 4 -12 volt and 4-2 volt this would = 8- 50 ah xs 14 volt batteries.

The issue will be in charging. The battery that ak11667 mentioned may have a 12v tap for the electronics on the car that can't handle the 16+ volts of charge, but all cells inside the battery are the same and the battery as a whole is designed to charge as such. Having a seperate 2v cell that has it's own internal resistance differences and charging properties would probably not charge correctly when paired up with a 12v battery like that.

Why do you need a 14v battery for in the first place? If you're not competing the two extra volts aren't going to make any usable difference for you anyway.

The issue will be in charging. The battery that ak11667 mentioned may have a 12v tap for the electronics on the car that can't handle the 16+ volts of charge, but all cells inside the battery are the same and the battery as a whole is designed to charge as such. Having a seperate 2v cell that has it's own internal resistance differences and charging properties would probably not charge correctly when paired up with a 12v battery like that.

Why do you need a 14v battery for in the first place? If you're not competing the two extra volts aren't going to make any usable difference for you anyway.

I do compete SS 3-4 14v would make my amps happy... more is better peepwall.gif I will give it a try ....

if you compete then oin most classes you can not be over 15.3 volts or so... so there would be a problem with your 144 volt system.. because it charges at 16 volts.