tysonm

Help building box for 2 12" Icons

My dad is going to help me build the enclosure with his CNC machine so things should go smoothly when cutting the boards to their correct lengths. Right now I have a 2.3cu. box tuned @ 33hz (which I built it myself) and it gets decently loud, but I want to get louder which is why I decided to make an enclosure which will hold two Icons.

I listen to a variety of music such as heavy metal, alternative, rock, R&B, rap, techno, and some dub step. I will get back to you with my trunk dimensions when I get home from work. I want to use this box as a daily use, but I still want it to get loud. What type of box will be the best to build to achieve this?

On a side note, I also wanted to do a flared port. I'm not sure if this will affect the type of box to build or not.

For an enclosure to fill up my trunk completely (2011 Mazda 3 Sedan) it would have to be 30" Deep x 37.5" Wide x 15.5" Tall.

Edited by Crash

Hopefully a skilled designer will check out this topic soon. :)

For an enclosure to fill up my trunk completely (2011 Mazda 3 Sedan) it would have to be 30" Deep x 37.5" Wide x 15.5" Tall.

I highly doubt that you would be able to fit that through the trunk opening. Does your back seat fold down? Measure either your trunk opening, or whatever you can fit through the back seat if it does fold.

My back seats do fold down but I would only have 29" wide (there is a plastic piece that makes a 1/2 circle shape behind my seats). When I open the trunk and measure the smallest width across, it's 33" wide.

What about the other directions smallest point?

On a side note, I also wanted to do a flared port. I'm not sure if this will affect the type of box to build or not.

Do you mean a flared aero port, or a kerfed slot port?

Anyone know which enclosure would be the best for me to build in order to get what I'm trying to achieve?

I used their optimal ported enclosure specs for my ICON 10 and am very pleased.

Yeah, I did look at SSA's pre-designed optimal ported enclosure for two 12" Icons. Do you think that is going to be the best route for me to go?

If it is, then I will need help with a couple of the dimensions because there requirements say 36" wide and my trunk is only 33" wide (smallest point in the trunk)

The best I can suggest is if you are in some what of a hurry, is to contact a designer on here like dc creation to do a design for you, it wont cost much.

If you can wait, let say for a week, I can do a design for you as I am all booked up on time with work right now, if you decide,I would need:

maximum dimensions.

height?

Width?

Depth?

15H X 32W X 25D Double baffled with a 13.5H X 4W X 24L port is ~4 cubic feet tuned to 34hz after you add a little bracing.

15H X 32W X 25D Double baffled with a 13.5H X 4W X 24L port is ~4 cubic feet tuned to 34hz after you add a little bracing.

There ya go, ricks have you covered.

You're the best! Thank you :)

Now that I have the dimensions for the box. I have a few other questions.

1. I want my box to look good and unique so I was thinking about doing carpet and stopping maybe 2" from the face of the box and painting the box glossy white or black and doing a red ring (which will outline the mounting position of the sub). What type of paint is going to work the best and not crack/peel?

2. How do I do a Kerfed Slot Port?

3. I want to put "SSA Icon" or just "Icon" on the box somehow. With an enclosure that will hold two subs, how would you put SSA Icon or Icon on the enclosure to make the box look unique?

I can't figure out how to attach an image that's saved on my computer, but I put those dimensions in the "RE Calculator" (online enclosure calculator) which it says with those dimensions it will be tuned to 25hz and then I drew those dimensions up in "Sketchup Pro 8" (I put a 6" radius for each sub, which I'm not sure if that would be correct or not) and the subs barely fit onto the face of the box and I wouldn't be able to kerf it. Am I doing something wrong, or is one of the dimensions wrong?

The box is 15 inches tall by 32 inches wide by 25 inches deep. This gives you a mounting surface of 27.25, with your max dimensions I doubt that you will be able to kerf the port. The RE calculator is inaccurate and does not account for displacement correctly.

What car do you have ? A sedan ?

If the box is in the trunk facing forward, they won't see it. So, you don't need too make the box unique, just hide it with some black carpet !!!

Paint will require more work : sanding, mastic (don't know the english word, maybe bondo ?), and more sanding,...

Do it simple and efficient.

Good luck and show us some pics when it's done. Those subs are wonderful ! You'll love them.