LETHL_SS

Sun Down SAZ-1500D V3 Feels Weak

I had been using an RE Audio XTX3000.1 but decided to move over to the new Sun Down. On paper they're very close in specs but in real life it seems like the RE has substantially more power output. I have the gain turned all the way up on the SAZ-1500D with no clipping and still isn't real strong until I turn the volume way up. The RE gets louder and a much lower volume levels. Any idea if this is normal? I'm sure both companies probably rate their amps different.

FWIW, I'm running a fully loaded Fi Q12 in a sealed 1.2 cu ft box (after sub displacement). I've got a Diehard Platinum battery with 1/0 AWG big 3 done.

Check the basics, make sure all power and ground connections are solid and also make sure your subwoofer is wired up in the proper way.

Its the same way with my SAZ-1500v2. it doesnt get loud till you get to high levels and its turned to the max with no clipping as well. and im using a Fi Q 15.

Its the same way with my SAZ-1500v2. it doesnt get loud till you get to high levels and its turned to the max with no clipping as well. and im using a Fi Q 15.

I figured as much but just thought I'd check to see. I do believe the RE puts out more power but this Sun Down is sounds much much better.

Till whats turned to the max? The gain on the amp or the knob in the vehicle. The gain on the amp should never be turned up all the way. Anything over half way would start clipping at a volume of 25-26 when that equipment was in my truck.

You both have strong amps, somethings not adding up here.

Edited by swift

My gain on the amp and knob are 100% and the clipping light never comes on the knob even at ~75% head unit volume. The output feels about 1/2 the RE amp I took out. The wiring and everything else stayed the same.

Edited by LETHL_SS

My gain on the amp and knob are 100% and the clipping light never comes on the knob even at ~75% head unit volume. The output feels about 1/2 the RE amp I took out. The wiring and everything else stayed the same.

what is the sub level at on the head unit?

do you have a DMM, check the resistance of the sub,

also check all your setting on your head unit, and your connections.

what is the sub level at on the head unit?

I'm using the factory head unit with a PAC adapter to add RCA's for the sub. I have the bass option turned all the way up though.

do you have a DMM, check the resistance of the sub,

also check all your setting on your head unit, and your connections.

Yes I have and did that already. It reads .8 ohms at the amp. Ground reads 1.8 ohms and the main power wire has good continuity from the battery to the amp.

thats alot of resistance on the ground... check your ground connentions.

were you rusing the LOC on your Re aswell?

if you have a test tone, play it, and check your Ac output on the loc,

I'm using the PAC AOEM-GM24 adapter instead of a LOC but yes everything is the exact same as the RE other than the amp itself. I'll look for a better ground (currently have it bolted onto the main frame of the trailblazer) and see if it changes anything.

all else fails then switch back to the RE.. change nothing else and see what happends.

I moved the ground and added another 1/0 AWG ground from the engine block to the frame but still the same. I did; however, put on the THX Ultimate Subwoofer test and wow! Huge difference! The lower volume difference between the RE and Sun Down is more noticeable with XM or radio on then with this test.

OK, quick question, does the Sundown get as loud as the RE?

OK, quick question, does the Sundown get as loud as the RE?

It does at mid volume and up but the RE is louder at the lower volume levels. That said, the Sun Down blows the RE away in sound quality.

Your problem is your rcas. I had this same problem i have the same car same setup. Go to a local audio shop and buy good rcas there.

Your problem is your rcas. I had this same problem i have the same car same setup. Go to a local audio shop and buy good rcas there.

I'll look into that but I have a pretty expensive monster cable RCA. Not saying they couldn't be bad but its not a cheap basic cable.

i run cheap walmart rca wires.....

OK, you need to attribute the differences to the overall voltage gain of each amplifier, not power output.

It is very misleading to other people who don't understand how this stuff works when you make erroneous comparisons like you did.

OK, you need to attribute the differences to the overall voltage gain of each amplifier, not power output.

I think I'm following what your saying. There's an obvious output difference at lower volume levels. Are you referring to how each amp handles the input gain differently causing the output to differ?

It is very misleading to other people who don't understand how this stuff works when you make erroneous comparisons like you did.

this guy is one smart dude, always look to him for technical info and advice...