Sign in to follow this  
On3Hundr3dProof

3500 watt electrical

So in my next build I'm going to be running around 3500 watts probably a bc3500. For my current electrical setup i have a dc 270xp alt the big 3 and a d5100r in the front. Voltage @ idle is 15.2v. If i run 2 runs of ofc 0ga to a deka 9a31 in the back then one 2ft run of 0ga from the batt to amp is it going to be enough to to keep me above 13v for the most part or will i need a second 9a31 in the back. I plan on getting a second one later on anyway but would it be necessary? Thanks.

Why is your idle voltage so high?

Voltage at idle is usually between 15-15.4 Its the alt.

Edited by On3Hundr3dProof

Voltage at idle is usually between 15-15.3. Its the alt.

Do you have a regulator? I'm not an expert at high power electrical systems but I am pretty sure that the XS power batteries (and other 12v batteries) don't like being charged that high. I could be wrong and hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

At idle

Is that cold? Or after you've been running for a while???

Thats cold. Ive had the alt in about 2 weeks. Itll go to 15.0 if its warm and its sitting idle for a few min.It takes a while to get my truck warm up here though this time of year. I havent had any problems so far though.

Thats cold. Ive had the alt in about 2 weeks. Itll go to 15.0 if its warm and its sitting idle for a few min.It takes a while to get my truck warm up here though this time of year. I havent had any problems so far though.

After driving around for say 15min and then idling... where does the voltage go?

Those gauges must be adjusted. However newer gm and dodges idle that high. Higher voltage, more spark, less fuel needed, better fuel economy.

To answer your question, that should be fine for 3500 watts given you dont plan on demoing full tilt for long intervals at idle. A second down the road will not be a bad idea though.

after idling it usually is around 15.0-15.2