Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

Black Friday Subs

I picked up a pair of Xplode 10" subs on Friday for $15

Anyone have any specs for a box that will make these tolerable?

I have 100wrms to go to each, it's in a college dorm. I have them isobaric on a bazooka tube for now, and it's okay, but drops real quiet below 40hz. I don't need it loud, just low.

Note: I know, they're sonys.

Do you have the s/n for them? Or model #? There is a wide variety for sony xplode speakers man.

for the Sony XS-GTR100L,

• 10" 4-ohm subwoofer
  • polymer cone features dimpled, five-sided design
  • rubber surround
  • grille not included
  • power range: 75-330 watts RMS (1200 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 35-1000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 84.5 dB
  • mounting depth: 5-7/8"
  • sealed box volume: 0.62 cubic feet
  • ported box volume: 0.84 cu. ft.

So far I have 1cuft @ 28hz/ea that i'll try, would I get a better result indoors, with slightly larger boxes, and more port?

I found the owner's manual on Sony's support site and plugged the T/S into WinISD. It suggested almost 3cuft at 27hz tuning as default, which seems a bit out of sorts. The manual suggests .62cuft sealed and .84cuft ported tuned to about 41hz, which is also not ideal.

In my honest opinon, something in the neighborhood of 1.75 to 2cuft or so tuned in the mid-lower 30's would do fairly well. That sub, like many others I've modeled in WinISD tend to only look good with uber large enclosures. I've definitely found that those subs do work better in larger enclosures, but sometimes the WinISD suggestions get outright stupid. I think this one is pretty close though which is why I suggest around 2cuft tuned to 32hz for each sub or 4cuft for both.

Also, for $15 each, who the hell cares they're Sony's. For that price, and intentions on using them for just messing around, that's pretty hard to beat and sure as hell not arguable. Nice grab.

I found the owner's manual on Sony's support site and plugged the T/S into WinISD. It suggested almost 3cuft at 27hz tuning as default, which seems a bit out of sorts. The manual suggests .62cuft sealed and .84cuft ported tuned to about 41hz, which is also not ideal.

In my honest opinon, something in the neighborhood of 1.75 to 2cuft or so tuned in the mid-lower 30's would do fairly well. That sub, like many others I've modeled in WinISD tend to only look good with uber large enclosures. I've definitely found that those subs do work better in larger enclosures, but sometimes the WinISD suggestions get outright stupid. I think this one is pretty close though which is why I suggest around 2cuft tuned to 32hz for each sub or 4cuft for both.

Also, for $15 each, who the hell cares they're Sony's. For that price, and intentions on using them for just messing around, that's pretty hard to beat and sure as hell not arguable. Nice grab.

That was $15 for the pair :lol:

also, any preference for port orientation, it's going to sit in a corner

I was thinking sub one way, and port on the next face