Sencheezy

Thoughts on going 100% digital media in car

i'm planning to run a nexus 7 as my "headunit" and gps. then headphone out to a pair of minidsp's for processing.

In my boat I have a Gal Tab 2 for a H/U with a pair of miniDSP's.

other tablets have larger storage options. or use a mini usb to thumbdrive for larger storage.

My boat has just under a TB of music on it. ALL controlled by the tab. Any other media I want streamed I do by tethering.

I absolutely see no reason to put a h/u in a car anymore. I'll never own one again. Of course, my tab would be limited to 72gb of data if I wanted to stream to monitors as well. For most people that might cover their music collection, but it is a far cry from what I need.

You mentioned miniDSPs, which one do you use exactly?

Installing a tablet as the central unit in my vehicle sounds great. Only thing would be to find a way to mount it, how well I extend the video playback for the screens to be installed in the headrest. Is there any lost in sound quality, going through so many adapters from source to amplifier. I really want to pursue this avenue now, just need a place to start.

http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/detail/7-minidsp-kits/flypage_new/40-minidsp-kit?sef=hcfp

depending you install you may need more channels (multiple units). if your running 2-way active +sub you could run tweeters and mids off the minidsp and run signal straight to the sub from the source (using subwoofer amplifier for processing). if your running a 3 way + sub you probably want to use 2 minidsp's. if you not running active then a just one minidsp is probably all you need. the choice of plugin would probably depend what kind of processing you need.

idk about the video output capabilities. probably depends on the tablet.

signal should be perfectly fine for car audio at least. the dac's in current hardware are pretty solid.

i'm planning to run a nexus 7 as my "headunit" and gps. then headphone out to a pair of minidsp's for processing.

i would love to do this, but i have 140gb worth of music

micro usb to thumb drive or portable usb hdd

I use the 2x4 miniDSP and even with "all" the connections there is no degradation. I am using a line driver though as there isn't enough input or output from the mini's to drive my amps without them being thermally a bit noisy.

i would love to do this, but i have 140gb worth of music

And it is what I do and I have nearly 700gb of music. Tablet handles it just fine and a normal HDD is fine. You just need an enclosure that has a USB input AND a power input as the tablet will not power a full HDD.

Damn, why didn't i ever think about a portable hdd with a dedicated power source.

I do wonder if the tablet would run smooth scrolling through a large library.

Mine does. Just a cheapo Gal Tab 2 as well. Indexing takes a little bit, but I can live with that as mine is in the boat. If you need something faster store that on a flash and just use the HDD for the rest of the collection.

For the 2 running minidsp's, are you controlling volume straight off the tablet?

Also, can you tune a minidsp from the tablet?

Ive been looking into the hyundai genesis coupe

The upper cubby is pretty much perfect for a 7" tablet

SAM_0137.jpg

SAM_0143.jpg

SAM_0142.jpg

double tablets

double_tablet1.jpg

Sorry for hijacking, OP.

Edited by eggyhustles

There is an analog overall volume control knob that is a <$5 to add to the miniDSP. It can link and control the master vol for both. I redline my tablet and use the knob...but I absolutely hate digital volume controls.

I actually have 3 other volume knobs next to mine, but that is for zone control.

You "can" use the volume control from the tablet, but personally anything that has the arbitrary chance of going full bore is something I'll design around.

As we get closer to CES, more things are popping up. I found this little guy, and thought it might be worth sharing, as I might go after this one.

Its a Ca-Fi Dash-Linq

Ca-Fi-Dashlinq-Universal-695.jpg

Ca-Fi-Main-PCB.jpg

Channeldelay.jpg

bluetooth2.jpg

FM.jpg

EQ-Setting.jpg

TECH SPECS Ca-Fi Dashlinq 2Din universal:

• 6.95” Digital Touch Screen, 16:9 aspect, 800*480pixel

• CPU: Freescale iMX51

• Bluetooth free hands telephony& music streeming

• Steering wheel control support

• Digital Sound Processor

• Dual Zone Support

• Radio Tuner

• 9 Band EQ setting

• Connect with Internet via 3G or Wi-Fi (optional)

• GPS navigation

• AM/FM Tuner: FM/AM/MPX/ Stereo Receiver

• Audio output amplifier: 4*45W Max

• Built in SD reader (up to 32GB)

• USB

• Button back-up light color: Green or Red

• Anti-shock mechanism (ESP)

As we get closer to CES, more things are popping up. I found this little guy, and thought it might be worth sharing, as I might go after this one.

Its a Ca-Fi Dash-Linq

Ca-Fi-Dashlinq-Universal-695.jpg

Ca-Fi-Main-PCB.jpg

Channeldelay.jpg

bluetooth2.jpg

FM.jpg

EQ-Setting.jpg

TECH SPECS Ca-Fi Dashlinq 2Din universal:

• 6.95” Digital Touch Screen, 16:9 aspect, 800*480pixel

• CPU: Freescale iMX51

• Bluetooth free hands telephony& music streeming

• Steering wheel control support

• Digital Sound Processor

• Dual Zone Support

• Radio Tuner

• 9 Band EQ setting

• Connect with Internet via 3G or Wi-Fi (optional)

• GPS navigation

• AM/FM Tuner: FM/AM/MPX/ Stereo Receiver

• Audio output amplifier: 4*45W Max

• Built in SD reader (up to 32GB)

• USB

• Button back-up light color: Green or Red

• Anti-shock mechanism (ESP)

now that is SEXY right there!

Android™ Ver.: 2.3.4

Gingerbread....no thanks.

I'd rather go the rooted tablet route.

Rumor is it will support 4.2 IIRC

They are expensive ~900. I'm doing a mac mini in my car while keeping the current head unit... will switch to 2 2x4 mini dsp's later down the road.

They are expensive ~900. I'm doing a mac mini in my car while keeping the current head unit... will switch to 2 2x4 mini dsp's later down the road.

This one will be 499 euros, universal.

"Ca-Fi expects the Dashlinq to arrive in January for €499 ($657)"

Not bad

That's usually the going price for a decent double din

...once u tack on a processor to that...price shoots up drastically, lol.

Im still on the fence of either going the double tablet route or tablet and mac mini + ssd.

Not bad

That's usually the going price for a decent double din

...once u tack on a processor to that...price shoots up drastically, lol.

Im still on the fence of either going the double tablet route or tablet and mac mini + ssd.

lol, did you look at the post I made? This unit DOES have a processor. And thats the final price they are aiming for. I myself wouldn't mind going tablet, I'm just not so sure about having to get somebody to glass it in to look flush. I wouldn't dare try to do it myself. SSD's can be very difficult to restore if music/media was to be lost, and can be very expensive just to even attempt. With current HDDs reaching upwards of 10krpm, I think it would be the most redundent way to go if that was your choice.

I seen it

Only 9 bands of eq, though.

I like to tinker, so i need way more processing than that.

With my car being lowered & the roads in NY being crappy, i wouldn't trust a mechanical drive.

Also not too worried about losing media since it's backed up. I'm leaning toward double tablet...but it seems like such a wiring nightmare.

Edited by eggyhustles

I seen it

With my car being lowered & the roads in NY being crappy, i wouldn't trust a mechanical drive.

Also not too worried about losing media since it's backed up. I'm leaning toward double tablet...but it seems like such a wiring nightmare.

Ohhh, ok, I see what you mean. Are you thinking, like, 32 bands of eq? lol, A bit over my head with that much tinkering. Not that I don't want to, its just intimidating to me for some reason lol.

The roads in NY, are extremely crappy lol. Kind of off topic, but I wonder if there will EVER be a solution to the madness of traffic up in that NY/NJ area. With traffic flowing constently, its impracticle and basically impossible to ever reschedule downtime for road work for expansion, and even if that was ever manageble, theres only so much to grow since most of those building are physically limiting the possibiliity of more road space.

There are some high end HDDs that are design for impact shock absorbant. Came across a few in this search of this carputer.

Going the double tablet route would definately turn some heads though. The idea that came across my mind, was placing some kind of personal table per seating. Some ppl have already done this, but like you said, would be a wiring nightmare. Not so much for independant use, but to have it simultaniously sync with the "brains" in case of wanting to show off all screens from one feed.

*sigh*

I am working on the carpc thing atm. I'm swinging to a windows based one myself seeing as I have quite a bit of music from my zune pass, so I should be able to have all that on a hard d drive and have it available in the car.

With a car pc there is no need for a processor if you don't need it.

Thanks to adrian he pointed me to some programs. Virtual Audio Cable and Audiomulch. VAC basically lets you decide where the audio goes and audiomulch will allow you to be active, dunno off the top of my head the size of the equalizer.

If you shop around you can build a carpc cheaper than that unit and even have it in a double din case.

I seen it

Ohhh, ok, I see what you mean. Are you thinking, like, 32 bands of eq? lol, A bit over my head with that much tinkering. Not that I don't want to, its just intimidating to me for some reason lol.

The roads in NY, are extremely crappy lol. Kind of off topic, but I wonder if there will EVER be a solution to the madness of traffic up in that NY/NJ area. With traffic flowing constently, its impracticle and basically impossible to ever reschedule downtime for road work for expansion, and even if that was ever manageble, theres only so much to grow since most of those building are physically limiting the possibiliity of more road space.

There are some high end HDDs that are design for impact shock absorbant. Came across a few in this search of this carputer.

Going the double tablet route would definately turn some heads though. The idea that came across my mind, was placing some kind of personal table per seating. Some ppl have already done this, but like you said, would be a wiring nightmare. Not so much for independant use, but to have it simultaniously sync with the "brains" in case of wanting to show off all screens from one feed.

*sigh*

Well, with a 3 way front stage, i want to be able to tune as much as i can.

It was intimidating at first, but you get the hang of it and it becomes fun.

Expansion is nearly impossible...and it sucks 'cus the roads are horrible.

I already went ahead and pulled the trigger on the dual tablet project

In the genesis coupe, there's a cubby on the dash that's perfect for a 7" tablet & a 7" can fit into the dash with minimal modification

Bought a nexus 7 for the upper cubby. & a galaxy tab 2 for media. Just need to figure out how im gonna charge both units, power up and sync a hdd, and get a signal to the processor.

Edited by eggyhustles

I was testing my nexus 7 on a generic car charger, tons of fucking noise. hopefully running power and ground from the rear will fix the noise.

Got my 2 tablets in the mail

Back to my OG question regarding storage.

If you have a solid mobile hotspot connection, you can stream your entire library(up to 20k songs) directly from google music.

You could tether off a phone, but a dedicated connection would probably be best

Edited by eggyhustles

Not going back pages, but my tab has no issues getting music off my hdd which has over a half TB of music on it. Exactly what is the whole basis for my boat stereo. I have a tab, hdd, some volume knobs and amps.