Sencheezy

Thoughts on going 100% digital media in car

So I've been pondering the idea for a while, but now I've started to putting it in real sense. I would like to take all my audio/video source into one media source. Now, I'm aware of people placing "Carputer"s into their vehicle, I guess in a sense, this is what I would like to do, but not 100%. I would still like to keep a 7" DVD unit as the headunit and the brains of my vehicle. Currently, I have the Pioneer 4300DVD, but I also have my eye on the Clarion NX702. Either system supports many ways to go about extending its media source.

So currently, I've been using my ipod for the most of my music, and music videos. Then I would use the the cd/dvd slot for watching movies, etc. With making plans on continue attending car shows, I am now trying to incorperate more display screens inside the vehicle, such as the headrests, visors, and the review mirror. I know this add a whole lot of "jazz" and "come steal me", but I think it would make a great addition and add a whole lot of "wow" factor in competitions.

So far, I have stumble across this device in my new adventure.

The Vizualogic vmod.

VMOD_Clipped%20copy-500x500.jpg

"VMOD™ is the world’s FIRST in-car computer and mobile media server. Internally, VMOD™ works from an automotive grade 40GB Toshiba™ hard drive loaded with WindowsXP™ to store media you use everyday. Loading VMOD™ with your personal media happens via Wi-Fi from a home wireless network or direct through one of five 2.0 USB ports located on the back. Now music, pictures, videos and internet browsing are a click of the Bluetooth remote away from entertainment on the road. VMOD™ also features additional options such as satellite radio and navigation."

I was thinking that I could use a device like this, to connect to all my media from my home, and transfer it all here. Were I could store tons of media, that way, at the headunit, I could simply browse, and look/listen to any of my media all from one source.

Basically what I am looking for, is feedback. As anybody else done something similiar? As anybody seen this done in person before? What are the results? Good results, bad results? How is the quality of the media? Good idea? Bad idea?

Budget is really not an issue, I make decent money now, and this will be a ongoing process. I'm somewhat techy, so installation and troubleshooting won't stop me from purchasing.

Technical Details

• Hardware:
  • Processor: 1GHz Intel Celeron
  • Memory: 512MB of RAM
  • Chipset: Intel 855 Chipset
  • Bluetooth version: 2.0
  • Wi-Fi standard: 802.11b/g
  • Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Ports: 5
  • Video Output: Composite
  • Audio: 48KHz 16-bit Stereo Sound
  • Hard drive: Shock-Mounted Automotive-Grade Toshiba 40GB Hard Drive
  • Ethernet: Wired Ethernet Port for installation in vehicles with a wired network such as RVs amp; Busses
  • Audio input: Line Input connection for external audio sources
  • Power: Custom 12V Automotive Power Supply with remote-mounted power switch for convenience
  • Capacity: 10,000 Songs; 50 Hours of Video; 40,000 Photographs (Medium Resolution); 20,000 Photographs (High Resolution)
  • Software: Powered by StreetDeck; Runs Genuine Microsoft Windows XP--compatible with most applications; Windows Media Player 11; 3ivx Codec
  • Height: 44mm (38mm excluding feet)
  • Width: 206mm
  • Depth: 134mm (Excluding connectors and antennas)
  • Weight: 1.00kg
  • Material: Die-Cast Aluminum
  • Power Consumption: 1.5amps

Whe I had the 4300 I contemplated using a Raspberrry Pi. The Raspberry Pi has a Rca Video out and costs only around 30 bucks if you can find one and is basically a mini linux machine... it's the size of a deck of cards.. or if you go to mp3car.com you can get a Liliput touch screen that will basically fit into your doubledin hole.. but they are PRICEY!

Whe I had the 4300 I contemplated using a Raspberrry Pi. The Raspberry Pi has a Rca Video out and costs only around 30 bucks if you can find one and is basically a mini linux machine... it's the size of a deck of cards..

I REALLY want to play with one of them, thanks for reminding me!

Also there is an android based one that's more expensive but a lot better.. But I cannot recall what it is called. Ahhh... here it is...

http://www.asiapads.com/product_info.php?cPath=190&products_id=2246

+

http://store.mp3car.com/Preassembled_Black_Double_Din_LCD_Frame_with_7_Li_p/mon-125.htm

But I'm not sure if the touch screen woudld be capatable with the android one.

Edited by Julian

Whe I had the 4300 I contemplated using a Raspberrry Pi. The Raspberry Pi has a Rca Video out and costs only around 30 bucks if you can find one and is basically a mini linux machine... it's the size of a deck of cards.. or if you go to mp3car.com you can get a Liliput touch screen that will basically fit into your doubledin hole.. but they are PRICEY!

Ok thanks Julian! I would look into these for sure. Thanks for the recommendation. I mean, I could simply buy like, a 64gb Ipod, but that would be pricey, and still remain a headict doing the whole reformating formats and such.

Again, thank you!

Also there is an android based one that's more expensive but a lot better.. But I cannot recall what it is called.

If you could remember or find out what it is, please inform me! Also, again, I'm not looking for a stand alone "Carputer", I would still like to keep one of the two Double Dins mentioned above.

If you could remember or find out what it is, please inform me!

Same here!

This one seem pretty nice..

MON-116-2.jpg?1350558613

I guess I'm not TOTALLY against a carputer. I would just find it difficult to intergrate it with amplifiers and such. I'm all up for listening to advice. I just never have done any research in this field before. Like, how will the signal go to the amplifiers? How is the quality? Do I simply match the gain levels as a standard car headunit? How does it keep power? What about the signal cord for the amps and accessories? Etc...

Also there is an android based one that's more expensive but a lot better.. But I cannot recall what it is called. Ahhh... here it is...

http://www.asiapads....roducts_id=2246

+

http://store.mp3car....i_p/mon-125.htm

But I'm not sure if the touch screen woudld be capatable with the android one.

here it is...

I need to learn how these devices will interact with each other, aka How the fuck do I use this.

Why not just do a Apple product so it can transfer your music automatically trough ICloud. Oh wait, you don't have a iPhone. Never mind

Edited by swift

i'm planning to run a nexus 7 as my "headunit" and gps. then headphone out to a pair of minidsp's for processing.

other tablets have larger storage options. or use a mini usb to thumbdrive for larger storage.

maybe you could do an ipad or ipad mini install with an apple tv displaying to monitors controlled via air play.

Why not just do a Apple product so it can transfer your music automatically trough ICloud. Oh wait, you don't have a iPhone. Never mind

I'm trying to get away from the proprietary apple realm. Such a hassle for me to always having to convert and making sure that full length songs are in tack and such.

maybe you could do an ipad or ipad mini install with an apple tv displaying to monitors controlled via air play.

I suppose I "could". I would need to relocate the heater vents up front which would be a big PITA if there is a way.

I have just came across this software called Centrafuse 4. It seems I very well may just simply go fully Carputer.

a 7" tablet is only slightly larger than a factory double din opening, i dont think you would have to relocate vents.

when i looked into car pc's i was turned off by the price and complexity of the install. a tablet with a few apps get you 95% of functionality of a car pc.

perhaps you could keep the double din as well as use a tablet like the vid below... i dont see why you would want to keep the double din though.

I'd try and pick up a raspberry Pi if you can find one.. it would take some time setting up but it would be a quick venture into a car pc while keeping your current head unit. I would do the Composite to the rear inputs then audio from the 3.5mm of the Pi to the headunit composite. you'd need a mini mouse/keyboard.. but it'd be pretty cool little setup. music, movies, youtube, internet via wifi, etc. Something like this, http://www.asiapads.com/product_info.php?products_id=2286&osCsid=b49d1065871ac30831aa7e569418a79b

Edited by Julian

I like the idea of keeping a head unit, sometimes I want local sports, news, and/or traffic.

i'm planning to run a nexus 7 as my "headunit" and gps. then headphone out to a pair of minidsp's for processing.

In my boat I have a Gal Tab 2 for a H/U with a pair of miniDSP's.

other tablets have larger storage options. or use a mini usb to thumbdrive for larger storage.

My boat has just under a TB of music on it. ALL controlled by the tab. Any other media I want streamed I do by tethering.

I absolutely see no reason to put a h/u in a car anymore. I'll never own one again. Of course, my tab would be limited to 72gb of data if I wanted to stream to monitors as well. For most people that might cover their music collection, but it is a far cry from what I need.

I absolutely see no reason to put a h/u in a car anymore. I'll never own one again. Of course, my tab would be limited to 72gb of data if I wanted to stream to monitors as well. For most people that might cover their music collection, but it is a far cry from what I need.

You seriously have me thinking about ditching my head unit. That might be the next step for me.

In my boat I have a Gal Tab 2 for a H/U with a pair of miniDSP's.

My boat has just under a TB of music on it. ALL controlled by the tab. Any other media I want streamed I do by tethering.

You mentioned miniDSPs, which one do you use exactly?

Installing a tablet as the central unit in my vehicle sounds great. Only thing would be to find a way to mount it, how well I extend the video playback for the screens to be installed in the headrest. Is there any lost in sound quality, going through so many adapters from source to amplifier. I really want to pursue this avenue now, just need a place to start.

i toyed with the carputer idea for a bit but it gets PRETTY involved if you want good sound output. or i just didnt read the right stuff. i settled on my ipod for now as well as maybe upgrading to a larger one.

does the unit you listed first have the ability to use a ssd at all times to play audio/video? so you could just get a 120 or 240 gb ssd and hook it up through usb?

i toyed with the carputer idea for a bit but it gets PRETTY involved if you want good sound output. or i just didnt read the right stuff. i settled on my ipod for now as well as maybe upgrading to a larger one.

does the unit you listed first have the ability to use a ssd at all times to play audio/video? so you could just get a 120 or 240 gb ssd and hook it up through usb?

Yea it does, I just haven't tried it out yet. I've always just used the ipod lol, I shall try though. When I glanced at pricing on those at walmart, there was so many to chose from.

i like the websites tigerdirect or newegg, this past weekend would have been great to get them at those sites, may still have some deals there though