loudmp5

ssa gcon

i have 2 gcon 12s and my box is 4.6 @32hz net after all dis. i have 70sq in of port i have this thread going at ca.com but i cant really get anyone that has xp with these subs someone was saying it will be peaky? but it is built to specs... im just wanting some input... and hi all 1st post

What do you mean by peaky? Every application will be different. Something as simply as moving your enclosure several inches in any direction can totally change response, order cancellation, etc. . .

drop off at certain frequencies i guess and its going in a protege 5 hatch/wagon i am just wanting opinons on my setup and how it will sound in general does anyone have experience with the gcon 12 and what size box they sound best in... th_2012121095180123.jpgth_2012121095234349.jpg

They probably said it would be peaky based off how much port area you have.

I think you are right he is low on port area. Hard to fix now that the box is built. Edited by pmureika

drop off at certain frequencies i guess and its going in a protege 5 hatch/wagon i am just wanting opinons on my setup and how it will sound in general does anyone have experience with the gcon 12 and what size box they sound best in... th_2012121095180123.jpgth_2012121095234349.jpg

You are low on port area. All you can do now is try it, you may like it. Nice box build. Edited by pmureika

I think you are right he is low on port area. Hard to fix now that the box is built.

I was talking about because he has around 15 sq inches of port per cube so a lot of people assume that will be real peaky.

the box models out to have a peak, but nothing noticeable by ear, it does have the steep drop off on the low end, but with the subsonic filter, it should boost those frequencies. so it if he notices any difference in frequencies, i would say its because of the acoustics of the vehicle.

I was just saying that I used more port area per sub. Not much but I also used 2.5 cubic feet for one sub at 36 hz.

The other issue is that these graphs will not depict how an enclosure will perform once installed in the application. Thus rendering them just about useless unless you know the peaks/nulls of your car anyway.

The other issue is that these graphs will not depict how an enclosure will perform once installed in the application. Thus rendering them just about useless unless you know the peaks/nulls of your car anyway.

I tuned higher because I know my jeep likes around 40hz. Plus my hearing at 58 years old isn't as good as a youngster.

It's really pointless to use Small signal parameters to model the higher output subs that are being manufactured today as they don't acuratly represent the driver in its normal operating range.

Due to the characteristics of the materials being used and the stiffness of the suspension t/s parameters will change greatly from 1watt (small signal) which will only move most subs less than 1mm compared to 40 or 50 watts (large signal) which is needed to get most subs in their normal operating range.

For example you will typically see manufactures recommend 1.5-3 cubic feet for a 12 but when you model the t/s parameters you come up with a figure around 1/2 cubic feet. The reason being is the creep factor of the suspension and surround on the sub. Most suspensions aren't too bad and doesn't affect parameters a whole lot but the surround does. The typical wide suround's Fo is in the mid 40's at 1mm but in normal operating range can be in the high 20's.

The cone's Fo is directly related to the sub's vas which is directly related to box volume. So this sub which will measure say at 45 hertz Fs at 1mm will have Fs of 30 hertz in its working range which in return can increase vas from say 15L up to 25L which is why the sub works well in 1.5 cubic feet but when modeled the program tells you that you need .5 cubic feet.

As I already told you, I'm sure that you will be happy with it. The person in your other thread doesn't seem to know what they are talking about. It's already built, so instead of trying to figure out what it will sound like just put it in your car.

well im going too i still need batts and an alt. lol i really wanted good lows thosad.png

well im going too i still need batts and an alt. lol i really wanted good lows thosad.png

You will it's a sq sub but sounds great.

haha sq=sounds great

haha sq=sounds great

By sound great he means keeping the bass reproduction and clearity high while maintaining great output.

i understood just how he worded it i thought was funny

Why do you think it won't play lows?

I think you are right he is low on port area. Hard to fix now that the box is built.

I was talking about because he has around 15 sq inches of port per cube so a lot of people assume that will be real peaky.

the box models out to have a peak, but nothing noticeable by ear, it does have the steep drop off on the low end, but with the subsonic filter, it should boost those frequencies. so it if he notices any difference in frequencies, i would say its because of the acoustics of the vehicle.

This

This

That post makes NO freaking sense.

but im not really worried im sure ill like it and if not its just a box lol, in about a yr or so i think im going to wall my protege with 2 18s or 15s idk excatly what i can fit yet

idk man lol just cause that guy said it drops off on the lows maybe ge graphed it idk lol

idk man lol just cause that guy said it drops off on the lows maybe ge graphed it idk lol

"That guy" also said that the SSF will boost low frequencies.

ok ok i see what your getting at man.. idc anymore lol im done thinking it wont work lol i have convinced my self it will just as i knew it would when i made the box lol whats his face over at ca had me trippin right now im trying to figure out an amprack in sketchup lol