civiljim

Are super tweeters right for me?

Hi there, my name is Jim, and I'm new here. I can install but conceed I know very little about the science of what I'm doing, therefore I'm looking for a little help in optimizing my current project as it is different, and of course budget restricted.

The project; I am currently refurbishing a boat, it's a '93, 21' Reinell Sunliner bowrider with Chev.305/Mercruiser I/o.

I have a Rockford 15, and a sony xm-405eqx, a Alpine 9886 head unit I would like to use, also a pair of energy 4" coaxials. I am wondering about the Crescendo Super tweeter and 6.5's. Knowing I need more amp as well, at least another two channel.

My goal is to fill this boat area with as full spectrum as possible sound, especially the high's as they tend to get lost quickly in the open air boat enviroment. My music taste is diverse, bluegrass/rock/hiphop.

I wonder about the lack of enclosure provided to the 6.5's existing location, and if there is a best choice for this? I will probably use baskets for the 4" anyway, could on 6.5's or 8's as well.

I am not looking to compete with anyone, just looking to to optimize, and incorperate what I've got already. The Crescendo set seems less in price to a JL marine component set that I was considering. I am a fair weather boater and am not afraid to use non-marine rated components for my application.

I am on a strict budget on this project so I would definately entertain used equipment also if anyone is aware of a great deal out there please let me know. I can be flexable on installation sizing in this boat project, most of it will go in the plywood gunnel panels, tweeters can be cut into the fibreglass area of the gunnels. I hope to attach some pic's to this thread, but bear with me if they don't instantly appear,..........................and thanks in advance.

Edited by civiljim

Jim, I wouldn't use supertweeters for in a boat unless you have some serious processing.

That being said, we should start with your mounting locations as those will determine what can work. This is particularly important in a boat.

That being said, we should start with your mounting locations as those will determine what can work. This is particularly important in a boat.

I do have some pictures that will make my mounting intention clear, I just can't seem to post the pictures at this forum. Maybe I'll end up making a youtube video of the pictures and linking to them.For a component type tweeter, I want to drill them into the upper part of the fibreglass gunnel (side panel) near the rear of the cabin. They are slightly angled forward.This is above a vinyl covered plywood panel that had a 6.5 coaxial in it that I basically can modify to any practical speaker.

upload them to Imgur.com (very simple) and attach the BB/Forum code into here.

Success............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

9vNp7.jpg

Now I'm just havin' fun...........................

SuXxT.jpg

So now you can see the existing location hole of a coaxial6.5, but above that you can see the triangle of fibreglass that has a black scratch on it. That is where I would like to drill in a tweeter, as it is the highest point in which to do so.

If the speaker hol dis reachable through the storage bin you will need some way of blocking it off.We need a budget as well.....

M5, the hole is indeed reachable through the storage compartment, I thought I could use speaker baskets to isolate? I could probably use some kind of foam also, to cut into the storage bin end.

I would like to complete the boats sound-system for $300-350, atleast to get something that works until more can be added, you know, when more fun-tickets have accrued.

The problem with foam is that it won't isolate the front acoustic wave from the back one making rather nasty inteference. It will kill your midbass.

Sound travels terribly on water in particular while on plane. I am normally hugely against multiple drivers, but I've found on boats scattering pairs of drivers all over the boat ends up in a more appealing environment for cruising. Kiss staging and such out the window.

With your budget you have to buy drivers, an amplifier and a crossover. That will make the bullet's not fit in the category. In particular when you really need at least a three way front to use them. So that being said, are there more mounting installation locations? On my boat there are 4 pairs of 6.5's. It puts out pretty good although it isn't ridiculous.

Oh, sell the 4's you have they won't do anything.

The problem with foam is that it won't isolate the front acoustic wave from the back one making rather nasty inteference. It will kill your midbass.

Yep, I guess I knew that but was hoping an expert would advise me of some magical solution that would prevent me from having to box the speakers out with mdf. I have the tools to do this if required, and its not the end of the world for me.

With your budget you have to buy drivers, an amplifier and a crossover. That will make the bullet's not fit in the category.

So are you thinking 2-way coaxial drivers? Is an amp with internal crossover appropriate or are you thinking seperate?

So that being said, are there more mounting installation locations? On my boat there are 4 pairs of 6.5's. It puts out pretty good although it isn't ridiculous.

Yes, its a big boat and there are more locations that speakers could be cut in. In the bow, I would probably have to build enclosures. Might I ask what size/type of boat you have, ie; cabin cruiser, bow rider, cat hull racer?

Oh, sell the 4's you have they won't do anything.

Ya, ok, but like the super-tweeters, they sure look cool though. ...............

I'll list them today.

M5, thank-you for your time spent on this by the way, I'll definately keep you posted on progress, and usage reports as it comes together.

Edited by civiljim