Sign in to follow this  
On3Hundr3dProof

adjusting voltage?

since i put in my DC 270XP the charging voltage likes to sit high at 15.0-15.3. how can i adjust the voltage or lower it to around 14.5-14.8?

if it doesnt have an external regulator u could wire something up.

if ur pcm controls it then u cant.

so if its pcm controlled i cant do anything?

but theres nothing wrong wt that voltage honestly. why do u want it lower?

nope

Edited by djjdnap

seems kinda high thought xs batts were only supposed to be charged at 14.9 max?

just off the top of my head, the charging rate should vary depending on how charged the batt is and what u have running.

A pcm based system is alot smarter than the old excite type alternators.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly,

http://blog.dcpoweri...ternators-work/

and

Edited by djjdnap

what kinda ride?

and the 14.9 thing sounds like a shizzon post!

lol yeah i saw a few posts like that by him searching. and 2010 nissan frontier 2.5L

Thanks for the links. They helped a lot.

it's not an opinion, it's Battery fact.

IF you choose to ignore it, then it's only hurting yourself.

Knowing how equipment works will far excel your install and knowledge on doing custom integration with things.

I have explained how it works in an automotive environment how there can be a window of leniency with charging recommendations but it's still not wise to assume such case to be fine.

Suggestions given from the manufacturer's themselves.. East-Penn, Enersys, etc.. are all derived for one main purpose- getting the life out of your AGM batteries based on the rating they are given. Failure to abide by these recommendations will reduce the life expectancy of such equipment.

Same thing goes for anything..

Play at the edge of disaster and life expectancy is greatly reduced.

Well if xs made a a vcm for my truck I'd get that but i dont know any other way to drop it. I haven't had this alt in during warm weather yet either because it doesn't get above 20s too often during the winter here so it might come down some.

The VCM Revision is coming man.. Not tomorrow but it is coming and will be ready for MANY vehicles.

Hooray! If i can pick one up it would be nice just have to keep an eye out.

it's not an opinion, it's Battery fact.

IF you choose to ignore it, then it's only hurting yourself.

Knowing how equipment works will far excel your install and knowledge on doing custom integration with things.

I have explained how it works in an automotive environment how there can be a window of leniency with charging recommendations but it's still not wise to assume such case to be fine.

Suggestions given from the manufacturer's themselves.. East-Penn, Enersys, etc.. are all derived for one main purpose- getting the life out of your AGM batteries based on the rating they are given. Failure to abide by these recommendations will reduce the life expectancy of such equipment.

Same thing goes for anything..

Play at the edge of disaster and life expectancy is greatly reduced.

no doubt i agree. mine state the fact right on the lable....

but its also told by a handfull of people that its the current not voltage that will cause the damage,... either way. what your preaching is published over and over no doubt.

yea.. but i cant say exactly what the current should be.. but current is in correlation with voltage too..

You can have 30v on a 12v batt but the current would need to be extremely minute.

But in reality, the higher in voltage you exceed past the marginal range of operation, the more and more that current needs to be greatly reduced and i mean greatly.

But current alone isn't the killer.. it's in conjunction with the voltage level that determines how much current is too much.

That means, if 20A of current is perfectly fine at this voltage level.. but at this level it's disastrous.

ok well this has escalated somewhat. voltage likes to come up and sit around 15.5ish now a lot and tonight on my way home it was at 15.8 for a few moments. think its starting to get hard on my HU cause its getting pretty warm of course my truck was on for about 2hrs. dunno if theres anything you guys know to do to fix this or if it may be the alt in which case i need to talk to DC but any help would be appreciated.

Edited by On3Hundr3dProof

I'd take that off man, that's getting dangerous to the ECU. It isn't designed for that high of a voltage.

yea 15.8v? wtf

Idd turn on the window defrost, blower on high, bright lights, inside lights, hold the power window buttons lol that should get you down to 13v lmao

yea 15.8v? wtf Idd turn on the window defrost, blower on high, bright lights, inside lights, hold the power window buttons lol that should get you down to 13v lmao

idk man!! lol With a 270 amp alt, he better crank that stere too!! haha

yeah at the current time with my saz-1000d when it was sitting at 15.5 i was playing decaf shit at full tilt and dropping to 14.8-15. i sent a message to dc and will call them when theyre open but looking at my alt test page on their site it has an internal regualtor and the tested voltage setpoint was 15.33 so im guessing when its sitting at 15.3 thats supposedly normal. its normally hitting 15.5 or so when im actively driving and not idling. im gonna put some 9a31s in later in feb and dunno if that would help anything. hopefully dc will tell me something but sometimes they take a while so still down for suggestions lol.

Ok so today i drove and my amp started cutting out and cpming back on now im getting a whining noise from my subs with or without the HU on. Also getting a faint whine from my alt. Disconnected the amp for now and gonna try to take the alt out later and put in oem. Could it be my batt? Cause i checked its sitting at 12.5ish and reading charged.

well my voltage is down to around 14.9 @ idle and 15.2-15.3 on the highway at 3k rpm. i cleaned up my ground and moved it and cleaned my big three ground up. still getting a whine coming out

of both subs and my amp goes into protect when i get it to a certain volume

well whine is usually power wires to close to rca's or bad ground near amp.

Amp going into protect could be low voltage, check ur voltage at ur amp and see if it matches what ur reading up front.

Whine FROM the alternator is usually Diodes going/gone out.

Im reading the voltage from the amp. Also im not getting any whine at all from my mids and highs. Im currently assuming its not from the alt but is related to the amp going into protect. Ill be getting a new 3500 v2 soon as the preorder ships and ill wire it down to 4 and see if it gives me any whine in which case its coming right out til i fix that.