Sign in to follow this  
Dennej0605

Help with small ported DCON

I am going to make my first attempt at a fiberglass enclosure for a single DCON 10. It will be right near the ideal 1.25 cu. ft. But it is a stealth install in a side well in the hatch area of my wagon. I actually use my cargo space. The question comes in terms of ports. I would like to go with aero ports for ease of use. My box won't be very deep so port length will be difficult to attain and keep tuning in the low 30's. What are some thoughts or recommendations? Could I go with Two 2" aeros? Final length would need to be about 12 total inches so two 6" long ports? A single 3" would need to be about 15" long and is not possible. Would two 3" ports be better?

Cutting port length in half because you have two ports is NOT the proper way to figure port length for multiple ports. When you do a calculation for port length for multiple ports the length the calculation provides is the length required for all the ports to be at that tuning frequency. If your calculations said that two 2" ports need to be 12 inches long that means both of them need to be 12", not 12" total for both (i.e. 6" each like you figured).

Such is the dilemma behind calculating ported enclosures for small spaces. You also have to add the air the ports will displace to the total internal volume of the enclosure. How small of an area are you trying to stuff this into? I think you're going to have to be willing to lose a little cargo space to the enclosure if you want to use it in a ported enclosure.

I've seen people use standard PVC elbow connections to make turns to enable the desired length.

Thanks for the info on length, I wasn't sure how that is accomplished. In that case, is a single 2" port too undersized for the 10" DCON? Or should I go with a 3"? This is going to hang into the cargo area a bit, a custom direct fit box of .75 cu. ft. Is available for the space and looks like a factory panel so squeezing another .5 cu. ft. Will jut the one im making out some.

Have you used a port/box calculator yet? Search for "another bloody calculator" on this site, one of our members made it. Also check out torres and I think BCAE has one. It is ubber important that you design this box right if you want it to sound good.

A 13.5" long 3" diameter port should do it according to the calculator.