Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Reviews show the 24-70 Tamron to kill the Nikkor.  Not even close.

Interesting. DXo mark score on the Tamron is 21, while the Nikkor is 30. The Nikkon dominates in sharpness 21mp vs 15mp, and really measures better in every category besides chr abber.

FWIW, you really need to get over the Nikon hate. I can look at DXO and it constantly shows that you clearly have an unsubstantiated bias.

Just now, sandt38 said:

Interesting. DXo mark score on the Tamron is 21, while the Nikkor is 30. The Nikkon dominates in sharpness 21mp vs 15mp, and really measures better in every category besides chr abber.

Err, what?

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Tamron-SP-24-70mm-F28-Di-VC-USD-Nikon-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-24-70mm-F28E-ED-VR-on-Nikon-D800E__885_814_1583_814

I realize the Tammy performed worse on the Nikon than the Canon, but not sure how you are reading DXO

Just now, sandt38 said:

The MKi is actually 190.

I found 134 with a search now  Perhaps I didn't google well, but that is rather important for how I'd use the lens and after your preference I searched to find out

I am really in a good spot to switch things up if I were ever going to.  My dislike is only my current shopping showing me what I want to own.  95% of the time I am limited in my shots it is a glass problem so that is of course where I am researching the most.

I am also seriously bugged by lenses with a lot of chromatic aberration.  Destroys all sharpeness and in the worst spot because when you lose the edge detail the rest of the detail really doesn't matter and gets lost in the wash.

Amusingly even though the Canon is an 8 blade versus the Tamron/Nikon 9 blade the bokeh is subjectively better to me on the Canon.

Watching defocused light circles I choose the Tamron however...but that isn't how I'd use it.

24 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Err, what?

http://www.dxom

22 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I found 134 with a search now  Perhaps I didn't google well, but that is rather important for how I'd use the lens and after your preference I searched to find out

I am really in a good spot to switch things up if I were ever going to.  My dislike is only my current shopping showing me what I want to own.  95% of the time I am limited in my shots it is a glass problem so that is of course where I am researching the most.

ark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Tamron-SP-24-70mm-F28-Di-VC-USD-Nikon-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-24-70mm-F28E-ED-VR-on-Nikon-D800E__885_814_1583_814

I realize the Tammy performed worse on the Nikon than the Canon, but not sure how you are reading DXO

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Tamron-SP-24-70mm-f-2.8-Di-USD-Sony-mount-lens-review-high-image-quality-but-does-it-justify-the-price/Tamron-SP-24-70mm-f-2.8-Di-USD-image-quality-evaluation

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/AF-S-Nikkor-24-70mm-f-2.8G-ED-mounted-on-Nikon-D800E__814

22 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

According to the guy in the video that Matt posted before, he talks on and on about the MKii, but briefly states the MKi is actually right about 190, then never mentions it again. I thought that odd. Why not compare the MKi and the Canon?

30 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I'm not trying to convince you to change. You want the 70-200 and the Canon is likely the best lens within a reasonable budget. You may find a boutique lens to beat it, but overall the Canon makes sense.

But Nikon isn't as bad as you lead on. In many cases the Nikkor glass beats the Canon lens.

26 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

I'm not trying to convince you to change. You want the 70-200 and the Canon is likely the best lens within a reasonable budget. You may find a boutique lens to beat it, but overall the Canon makes sense.

But Nikon isn't as bad as you lead on. In many cases the Nikkor glass beats the Canon lens.

Never said they were bad.  Just not as good where I need them to be.  At least that is what I keep finding over and over.

I have been creating the spreadsheet from hell regarding lenses for the past few months stewing over the decision on what long term makes sense for me to do.  Realizing you research like I do I figured there was some credibility in the Nikon push so I looked some more...only to find that the ranges I want to be able to shoot it isn't beneficial.

The simple lenses may be better on the Nikon, but I have no interest in any of them.  After that it is bang for the buck I am looking for and here either Sigma, Canon, Tokina or Tamron almost always win and when you have a Canon you can pick from all 3.

My needs however are simple:

Prime wide

Prime medium-wide for group photos

Prime 50

Either 70-200 or a 200 prime & a 85 or 135 prime.

The first couple could be replaced by a zoom if I had a full frame, don't see that happening on the crop.  Zoom range of 18-35 doesn't buy you enough bokeh on the long end to bother in particular when you can grab 2 primes.  Pain to change the lens, but it is a bigger pain to take photos that don't work.

48 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I see 4 different lenses

Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Nikon (Sean)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR (Sean)

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (Seth)

Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di USD Sony (Seth)

46 minutes ago, sandt38 said:

I don't understand your link.  The one I showed directly compares the 24-70 on the same Nikon 800e.  Tamron beats the Nikkor in every category except giving up .1 stop of light.  The Tammy 24-70 tests even better on a less advanced Canon.

1 hour ago, sandt38 said:

So, a large part of what the miscomunication is in photgraphy is that people think that sharpness is a thing.  Your kit lenses can be sharper than L glass. The 50mm 1.8 is *sharper* than the 1.2.  Yet if you handed someone a 1.2 and a 1.8, they would use the 1.2.

VRII Focal Length on Nikon

Dist.; Focal length 
1.27m (closest); 128mm 
1.4m; 132mm 
2m; 147mm 
3m; 164mm 
5m; 176mm 
10m; 186mm

Untitled_zps8p6cw2cx.jpg

To avoid issues with links here is a screenshot, I threw out the Sony Tamron and compared the other 3 on Nikon D800E's

Could be false, but again multiple searches show the same result.

Canon

7ft - 229mm

12ft - 208mm

29ft - 201mm

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I am also seriously bugged by lenses with a lot of chromatic aberration.  Destroys all sharpeness and in the worst spot because when you lose the edge detail the rest of the detail really doesn't matter and gets lost in the wash.

So a 70-200 With less chromatic issues than some primes might be a good plan.

If only someone made a lens that could AF like a boss, had the focal lengths you needed, and worked with a popular mount......

:D

I know it falls off at the 4' range to around 180mm but I can't find that spec real fast

9 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I see 4 different lenses

Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Nikon (Sean)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR (Sean)

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED (Seth)

Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di USD Sony (Seth)

I compared the two new ones on the same body...

Have to be careful with camera test and reviews.  

2 minutes ago, dem beats said:

So a 70-200 With less chromatic issues than some primes might be a good plan.

If only someone made a lens that could AF like a boss, had the focal lengths you needed, and worked with a popular mount......

:D

I am stupidly thinking about buying a 200 2.8 the day you come out so we can flop back and forth.  Just checking Nat Camera's return policy on used lenses as they have 2 in town for $520.  Figured it would be a fun side by side.  Shoot the 200 and the 70-200 on my 70d and your 6d changing back and forth.  My only concern is that it will have me shopping for a 5D after.

If the big whitey were 2/3 the weight I would have bought one already...I am stubbornly trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Lift weights and get get 50% stronger. Then the lens will feel 2/3 weight.

You're welcome.

3 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Lift weights and get get 50% stronger. Then the lens will feel 2/3 weight.

You're welcome.

sean, I'll bring some dumbbells and big whitey.

Edited by dem beats

Happy Memorial Day!

8 hours ago, dem beats said:

sean, I'll bring some dumbbells and big whitey.

Well then...