Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I'll retype it later.

Biggest problem with the mirrorless was the control interface.  Why someone doesn't design a camera with a quick way to change the ISO, Shutter, Aperature, and EV in that format I don't get.

And MK, new body vs new body the bang for the buck goes to mirrorless hands down.

I also tried to have them sell me Nikon FF...they wouldn't, kept pushing the Canon.

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

I'll retype it later.

Biggest problem with the mirrorless was the control interface.  Why someone doesn't design a camera with a quick way to change the ISO, Shutter, Aperature, and EV in that format I don't get.

They don't want to piss off everyone with SLR glass.

What they need to do is make the New mirrorless system with the same amount as the SLR bodies.  Make some smaller lens options, for those who want to upgrade.

1 hour ago, dem beats said:

They don't want to piss off everyone with SLR glass.

What they need to do is make the New mirrorless system with the same amount as the SLR bodies.  Make some smaller lens options, for those who want to upgrade.

Fuji doesnt care aboutslr

Sonys flat out ahare lenses

Seen the Sigma 50-150 1.8?  Wish it would mount to my body and have stabilization :(

Contemplating a manual focus portrait lens for in the house.  My wife may really hate me.

You'd think his wife would be happy with another 35mm when it was only 50mm to begin with.

Every mm counts.

Thankfully I have a 2x extender for my 70-200mm.

4 hours ago, dem beats said:

You find that you want more than the 50mm?

No, but there is some wicked fast glass that works on a mirrorless. 

I didn't see what I needed to make me switch yesterday, but am trying to figure out if it is coming.

I am afraid that Sony may be the way of the future in cameras as well.  With Samsung getting lazy they are the only fully integrated company and are seemingly taking advantage.

The problem I have atm is that I have an APS camera.  When I bought it I was sure that FF was on the way out, but now realize that I am wrong.  APS DSLR is on the way out.  Look how many "new" APS DSLR lenses there are?  No one is making things besides Sigma.

Sigma has their "Art" lenses

20/24/30/35/50 in 1.4

18-35/50-100 in 1.8

24-35 in F2

If Canon/Nikon were making similar ones I'd be totally interested in keeping my camera.

The 17-55 2.8 is a great lens, but at 25-83 F4.2 it isn't great for low light or bokeh.

18-35 F1.8 correlates to 25-38 F2.7 FF which is obviously WAY better.

Sigma doesn't offer image stabilization on their lenses which means Sony. :(

Then Sony is dumb and uses a different mount on their FF and APS mirrorless cameras.  FF use the same mount as the SLR, the little ones use an Emount which means to run the Sigma above you buy the Canon version and the Sigma adapter.  WTF.

Can't find any tests on the Sony 70-200 G Master 2.8 either.  It is $3k and I wouldn't buy one, but I have a suspicion that it may be stellar which also previews the future.

On 4:3 there are a ton of fast lenses as well:

Lens Focal Length F stop
Voigtlander 17.5 0.95
Voigtlander 25 0.95
Voigtlander 42.5 0.95
Panasonic 42.5 1.2
Panasonic  12-35 2.8
Olympus Zuiko 75 1.8
Metabones Speedster .71 multiplier adds
Fuji 56 1.2
Sony 55 1.8
Panasonic 25 1.7
Olympus Zuiko 25 1.8
Rokinon 12 2
Olympus Zuiko 12 2
Olympus Zuiko 45 1.8
Panasonic  20 1.7
Panasonic  14 2.5
Olympus 50 1.2

The 40-150mm on 4:3 is a great focal length, but nearly as pucking big as a 70-200 F4.  In fact it saves no size if they built the same damn FL for an APS sensor.  For that reason I don't see a future in 4:3, but do with APS.

FF in mirrorless is also dumb.  It saves you no size to wipe your battery life and be imbalanced by huge lenses.  APS on the other hand if there were lenses being developed for it could be the winner.  They are small enough to fit on a mirrorless and get you 2.8 glass in the size of F4 without losing reach.  Wider normal lenses can be downright small.

If those were available I would deal with the herky viewfinder for action shots.

At the same time if the Canon on Sony adapter from Sigma works as promised, it may be interesting.

Sigma MC-11.  Supposedly just works with their lenses, but allows the above Sigma's to be put on a Sony 6300.

Sony 6300/Sigma 18-35/50-100 1.8 a 2x teleconverter and sony body adapter come to about the same investment as me buying a 70-200.

50-100 1.8 goes to 100-200 3.6

Of course NC did not have the Sigma 50-100 in stock to play with. :(

And I didn't know about it before I went there.  Had no real fast mirrorless lens options.

What are your thoughts on AF?

I don't think APS is gone. I think it's on the way out for low to medium priced products. 

Bodies like the 7Dmkii kind of show a commitment to the format in the professional world. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture but I feel like they are just trying to get rid of "entry level" SLRs and let mirrorless take the place for that entry level equipment.

My thing is that android powered devices have already popped up that can have a whole camera bag in one brick.  10 lenses and 10 sensors all at different focal lengths all with high megapixels and they will take amazing photos.  The tiny lens and sensor are dirt cheep to replace if damaged etc.  If that tech doesn't take off its because the industry doesn't want it not because it's not the right choice for entry level products.

I think you are having a dilemma of what paradigm you want to be in.

Pro products with manual control and fast setting adjustments or the consumer level products where you just point and shoot but get a better experience and better image.

That middle ground where you can really control the body but don't have to fork over a huge chunk of cash is going away I think.  Maybe that's why the APS has the feeling going away.  No more middle ground.

Things go away without glass.  Choices will lead that way.  When I said go away, I mean from a DSLR not the format itself as an APS is perfect in a mirrorless configuration.

As for controls.  Easy access to aperature, shutter, iso & exposure are what I need.  Exposure could be a bit harder actually and I would be ok.