Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

If my rig didn't come with the 6.2 I'd be running one.  Hard to say no to the extra displacement, but I am limited in HP right now by the block.  Any wee gains and I'll push water.

38 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

I am not a 5.3 man...but I did a poop ton amount of research on all the LS stuff.  Any conversion is spendy and should be avoided.  That being said at a certain power and weight threshold you have no choice.  How "built" of a motor are you planning?

I am going to say mild just a street toy..Honestly I was going to start with just a basic stock 5.3 and go from there..I realize there is not really a huge horse power difference in the 4.3 v6 and the 5.3 or 5.7..But they dont seem to be alot out there for the v6 without pouring a fortune in it..And from what I researched I can just add wires to the existing harness for the v8 spyder..And I can get a LS swap kit exactly for it for like $700 or so..So to make a long story short I would like to just do a drop in out of a Silverado,Suburban,ect..And mildly beef her up a bit on a budget..lol

49 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Btw.  I would buy a 4.8 before a 5.3 if it were me....but it would also get a big ole turbo

Whats the deal with the 4.8? Whats the price range and what can they be found in? And is there alot available for it for performance at a decent price?

21 minutes ago, Liro213 said:

I thought the LS4 5.3 was fwd? Or are you talking about 5.3 vortec?

Vortec

15 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

5.3 came in a ton of stuff.  Just an engine block.  Like the 350 of old.

Speaking of...I dont know if you seen the newer movie Chips but that 2016 Impala SS at the begining was bad ass! They have the 5.3 as well I do belive..And I assume it is a rear wheel drive also.

45 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

Speaking of...I dont know if you seen the newer movie Chips but that 2016 Impala SS at the begining was bad ass! They have the 5.3 as well I do belive..And I assume it is a rear wheel drive also.

The Impala SS is no more and hasn't been for several years now.  The car in the CHiPs movie was just a Chevy SS.  It is RWD and actually just recently ceased production.  It did not sell well.  Actually, it was nearly impossible to sell.  The Impalas are still FWD, and the V8 cars with the 5.3 used the LS4 and someone indicated on the previous page.  It is not like the 5.3 Vortec.  The block, intake, and several other things are bespoke to it for FWD use.  I think they use a weird starter or mount or something. 

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

4.8 makes more sense though as it spins a turbo better.  

Way too many variables to make this a valid statement. 

1 hour ago, ///M5 said:

Seen some buys for <$100 if you pull it yourself.  All for a motor that with a turbo can easily hit 600+ for nearly no dough.

I LOL when I see you type about budget builds.  $5K is not a budget build for me. 

11 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

Way too many variables to make this a valid statement. 

On a budget was the only variable worth referencing.  It will easily drive a really large T4.  Much cheaper to build in the GM domain unless you are targeting over 800hp.

12 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

I LOL when I see you type about budget builds.  $5K is not a budget build for me. 

Tons of guys running 10's with less than $500 into the complete motor and turbo.  Not sure how you can get any cheaper starting without a motor.

Bigger blocks from GM will wake up with the heartbeat easier, but if you brew your own the charger option is significantly more expensive than going with a turbo.

3 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Tons of guys running 10's with less than $500 into the complete motor and turbo.  Not sure how you can get any cheaper starting without a motor.

You're not running 10s  on $500. I'll provide you $500 and a car.   Let me know when you have it running 10s.

Granted, you can find an engine and a turbo for $500, but that's it. 

8 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

On a budget was the only variable worth referencing.  It will easily drive a really large T4.  Much cheaper to build in the GM domain unless you are targeting over 800hp.

An Ecotec can easily drive a T4.  Hell that little Chinese 3 cylinder they make could spin one given the proper turbine and header.  

You know there's no replacement for displacement.  Use as large as possible.  You make more power on less boost and break less stuff.

4 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

You're not running 10s  on $500. I'll provide you $500 and a car.   Let me know when you have it running 10s.

Granted, you can find an engine and a turbo for $500, but that's it. 

Exactly what I said.

1 minute ago, Tirefryr said:

An Ecotec can easily drive a T4.  Hell that little Chinese 3 cylinder they make could spin one given the proper turbine and header.  

You know there's no replacement for displacement.  Use as large as possible.  You make more power on less boost and break less stuff.

Not true on a single turbo.  Stock 4.8's outproduce 5.3's.  Change to a T6 and the expense and different story.

Obviously there is no 100% anything, but generally speaking.  

For myself since I can't fab shit, I just bought a damn kit.  $5k is about right...but hard to get much over 12lbs for less with a super charger and not using used parts.

3 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Exactly what I said.

Yes, my fault for misreading that.  I apologize.

36 minutes ago, Tirefryr said:

The Impala SS is no more and hasn't been for several years now.  The car in the CHiPs movie was just a Chevy SS.  It is RWD and actually just recently ceased production.  It did not sell well.  Actually, it was nearly impossible to sell.  The Impalas are still FWD, and the V8 cars with the 5.3 used the LS4 and someone indicated on the previous page.  It is not like the 5.3 Vortec.  The block, intake, and several other things are bespoke to it for FWD use.  I think they use a weird starter or mount or something. 

Ahh..I didn't notice that when I looked it up..I assumed it was a Impala SS.....I seen that some came with the 6.2 didn't they? And why didn't they sale to high priced? They seemed pretty nice but I never seen one in person either..What was the deal with them?

4 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

Not true on a single turbo.  Stock 4.8's outproduce 5.3's.  Change to a T6 and the expense and different story.

This is a blanket statement though.  It's application dependent.  We can't just say T4 or T5 or T6, or anything for that matter.  We  don't have any information on turbine or compressor mapping, cam specs, mounting, etc.    We can all do dyno tests and make the results read any way we want. 

I'm going to assume here that you've seen some where they did basically a swap of a kit from a 4.8 to 5.3 and did pulls on each.  All that indicates is the turbine and compressor are not proper for the application (5.3), or was best suited for the 4.8 application.

2 minutes ago, mikel7829 said:

Ahh..I didn't notice that when I looked it up..I assumed it was a Impala SS.....I seen that some came with the 6.2 didn't they? And why didn't they sale to high priced? They seemed pretty nice but I never seen one in person either..What was the deal with them?

Honestly, I think they were overpriced for what they were.  $10K cheaper and they'd have sold like hot cakes.  Just my opinion. 

Think of it as the blue collar CTS-V.  They're ugly, but the performance can not be denied. 

Of course when you look at it that way, it makes you wonder how Lincoln sells any of their "dressed up" Fords.   It must be all Matthew McConaughey.  Yes, that's it.

Would it be easier to just do a 5.7 vortec from around the same year?

I'm heading out to buy a Lincoln right now.

1 minute ago, Tirefryr said:

I'm heading out to buy a Lincoln right now.

Lincoln Lawer? I love that movie..

Just now, mikel7829 said:

Would it be easier to just do a 5.7 vortec from around the same year?

I can't tell you what is easy for you.  I don't know your skill level, will power, budget, etc. . .  People often get ideas and start builds and they stall when they realize easy is not as easy in reality. 

Ask me about my F150 that's been sitting since 2010 needing a simple head gasket that turned into a broken valve that turned into an engine swap that turned into thousands of dollars in new parts, that turned into a rusted out cab that was previously rust free, but spending several years in the same spot on dirt exposed to weather and oh yeah, let's not forget work and being a parent override everything else in life then you get sick and your parents are getting older and. . . .