jonbearsmt

idler pulley blues.

i have a ford 4.6 and it has very poor belt wrap,

mechman used to make a double idler pulley set up.. but stoped once the 4.6 guy left to go work for someone else.....

heres what i want....

but if i cant get one.. then ill try to make somthing of my own.. does any one know where i can get small idler pulleys like in this pic below?

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/68/765fbe39898b6bbde8ce5fbc7ed66f3a/l.jpg

i have a ford 4.6 and it has very poor belt wrap, mechman used to make a double idler pulley set up.. but stoped once the 4.6 guy left to go work for someone else..... heres what i want....
but if i cant get one.. then ill try to make somthing of my own.. does any one know where i can get small idler pulleys like in this pic below? http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/68/765fbe39898b6bbde8ce5fbc7ed66f3a/l.jpg

The "idlers" in the photo are nothing more than standard sealed bearings bolted to whatever they are bolted to. You can get them anywhere. Grainger, McMaster Carr, Bearing headquarters, etc. . .

If I were you, I would get on a P71 forum or Corral and see if you can find part numbers for an 8 rib setup. This is what the supercharged guys use when they get slippage with the 6 rib, and given the large amount of modular powered trucks out there, it usually takes one trip to the junkyard.

i cant see my self changing over all my pulleys to 8 grove.

thank you for your input, and when lookin at these pictue set ups it looked like a sealed bearing but i was not sure.

It would be cheaper. When I priced it out for my Stang, it was around $30. You've easily got that in bearings there if you buy quality bearings.

I had a similar issue once I bolted a 270 amp alternator made for a V8 to my 4 cylinder.

The simplest solution I have found was a Dayco pulley. The easiest is a pullley that rides on the outside of the belt, therefore the pulley is smooth not grooved (you want a "flat polymer"). I bought mine from Advance Auto Parts (a local auto parts chain store). I couldn't just walk into the store and say "I need an idler pulley for my car", it didn't come with one from the factory. By searching through the Dayco website and I found a few. I mounted my idler puller through one of the mounting bolts to the alternator. The criteria was narrowed by first looking at the "inside diameter" . The "inside diameter" is the od size of the bolt that you will mount the idler pulley. Then look at the "width". You may think you need to buy the widest pulley possible but rather you need on that is 2-3mm larger than your belt width. Last but not least is the "outside diameter". This is the overall diameter of the pulley, bigger the better. Your mounting location will determine this.

I ended up buying three pulleys and three different belt sizes until i got the best combination. And don't forget you need a good "shoulder bolt" to mount your idler pulley. You may need a stack of washers as well to get the spacing correct. This sounds like an easy task but it takes some cash and trial and error to get it right.

The red arrow points to the idler pulley I use in my install. The DC Power piece of shit is no longer used but is in this picture.

Edit-0046-2-1.jpg

Without idler puller, again ignore the DC Power P.O.S.

Edit-0288.jpg

edouble101, why are you attacking DC Power for?

cause DC sucks every one knows that!

but really, even i have had issues with the,..and you can see that  he has too.. aot of peple have.

I wouldn't consider calling an alt a piece of shit as attacking anyone.