handman84

Advice on going active

Is there a reason you recommend used? Also, it looks like this project just got a little more interesting. One of the channels on my amp is cutting in and out so I may be in the market for a new amp too. :( I have been planning on upgrading my amp but not this soon...bitter sweet 

Of course.  Buy something now, use it, learn you want something else.  When new you lose 50% when used, not so much.  That and the plethora of proc's that used to be available far outweighs what is available today.

M5, your logic is sound...no pun intended :) I am deadening my doors tomorrow and I will post mounting locations and  space restrictions in hopes of getting advice on drivers.

Science requires the reduction of variables to solve an equation.

And following that process saved me some money for the time being...thought a channel on my amp was bad but after a little time spent reducing variables found out my rca cable is the problem, not the amp :)

So after having my doors apart for deadening this week I found I have 6.5 inches diameter and 5 inches depth for woofers and 2.5 inches diameter and 2 inches depth for tweeters in my doors which is where I would like to keep them.  I have 75w per x 4 available to power my front stage. where should I begin my search for new speakers? What should I be searching for? My goals are SQ. I would like nice midbass response and a clear clean tweeter. My ear seems to favor soft dome tweeters from my limited listening experience. Any suggestions or guidance? 

idk what your budget is but something like the exodus anarchy would be a good mid if you can make it work. tweeter would have to be a small format. 

By 6.5" is that absolute? Checkout some of the 7" home drivers and see if you can make them fit.

any brand or specific website I should start with?

I think I can make a 7" work with a little work, shouldn't be too bad

Something like this?

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-woofers-6-7/seas-prestige-ca18rnx-h1215-7-coated-paper-cone-woofer/

Keep in mind this is basically just point and click, check power handling and frequency response. What should I be focusing on? Any thoughts or advice?

Something like this?

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/seas-woofers-6-7/seas-prestige-ca18rnx-h1215-7-coated-paper-cone-woofer/

Keep in mind this is basically just point and click, check power handling and frequency response. What should I be focusing on? Any thoughts or advice?

Ultra easy and capable driver to "point and click on"
Again, not really point & click, lol. Sounded to me like you could nearly fit a large format. In particular when you look in more detail at the dimensions and see how big the flanges are. If so, I'd not buy a neo.

As for the Silver Flute you can make destroy most comp sets, but it is a point where spending a little more wouldn't suck.

*please just state the driver model number instead of a link. I hate clicking on stuff. smile.png

Just realized others may like a link, but a quick CA18rnx or P Exclusive would be a nice addition.

Maybe something like the Scan Speak D2606/9200? I guess I am not entirely sure what I should be looking for besides "something that fits" I wish I could just sit down and pick your brain for a while ///M5 

but since I can't is there a better way to go about gathering information on active systems and raw drivers other than sifting through Google searches and spending hours reading threads on forums? Or am I just going to have to decide on something, install it and see how it sounds? Trial and error is a great way to learn but I still want to make as educated a decision as possible...at this point I just feel lost! trippy.gif

Currently leaning toward Dayton audio DA175-8 or RS180-4. The DA has an aluminum cone and plays a lot higher so I thought it might be easier to find a tweeter to pair with it. 

Exotic cones (ie non-paper, lol) have resonances that are much harder to tame. Not particularly easy for a first time, although not a big deal if you use your ear. Your first choices were much better in that regard.

Maybe something like the Scan Speak D2606/9200? I guess I am not entirely sure what I should be looking for besides "something that fits" I wish I could just sit down and pick your brain for a while ///M5 

but since I can't is there a better way to go about gathering information on active systems and raw drivers other than sifting through Google searches and spending hours reading threads on forums? Or am I just going to have to decide on something, install it and see how it sounds? Trial and error is a great way to learn but I still want to make as educated a decision as possible...at this point I just feel lost! trippy.gif

unfortunately it comes down to this most of the time.... but you're research should help narrow down choices especially if one fits your budget and the other doesn't..... lol

Read Zaph's reviews. While my ears don't always agree, the measurements you can't argue with. Starting with something easier to use is generally a good idea.

And again, EXACT mounting locations and aiming play a role in selection. Not a little role either. The more you share the easier it is for us to help.

Woofers will be in stock location in bottom of door. I can make the baffles to face me so those will be "on axis" if that is even a term ine uses for woofers. Tweeters will be in top of door panel next to the dash. I will post pics after work. Tweets will be aimed at each other so I am looking for something that will sound good off axis. I am trying to keep it as stock looking as possibl

I'm guessing you cant get the woofer completely on axis?  especially the driver side.  but assuming you can mount the woofers at a significant angle you'll be able to have it play higher.  iirc smaller tweeters are "better" off axis but typically cannot play as low as a larger tweeter (take a look at the frequency response at off-axis angles). this might mean that your locations will work out ok, but there will be plenty of aiming to do before permanently mounting anything. 

when you take pics, maybe hold up circular piece of cardboard so we can see how much you can angle the woofer. 

Edited by lithium

Not sure what I was thinking, but my goal was to not have to mod the panel, but I cant' imagine getting good response from a 7" driver sitting behind the stock speaker grill and panel...I' am going to have to cut to get any large driver to sound good aren't I?

"sound good" is SUPER relative, I've heard plenty of things that sound good behind stock panels. Of course, the higher in freq it plays the more fighting you'll have with your staging. I'd always choose FR first and staging after, but everything in a car is a compromise.

Pics are worth a thousand words.