SacredTanakh

Upgrading speakers

I have some 70w rms pioneer 5-way 6x9s that sound decent but definitely not as clear as I would like.

So I thought Id buy some quality 6x9s, Ive been looking around for awhile and none seem to come close to the
Infinity kappa 693.9I 3-way speakers in specs.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Seem like a good purchase for around $100?

Specifications:

Power Handling (RMS):

110 W

Power Handling (Peak):

330 W

Frequency Response:

35Hz – 30kHz

Nominal Impedance:

2 Ohm

Sensitivity (2.83V @1m):

96dB

Also my kenwood 6.5s are clear and sound fairly great but I doubt they will keep up with 6x9s

so I was also thinking about Infinitys 6.5 components for $130 to go in my doors since they also have a high sensitivity and Im sure will sound pretty fantastic.

All seem like a good choice? and can you think of any better in that price range?

Thanks guys smile.png

Thought about ditching the rear 6x9's and putting all of your budget towards better front speakers?

wellll, Id be willing to do better front speakers if needed. but the problem is I have to fill that space either way with new speakers.

Originally there wasn't a spot for 6x9s, I cut holes into the panels for them.

Which if anyone who restored old broncos heard I cut holes in the nearly perfect unbuyable original panels they would have a heart attack. So haha umm, yeah I'd prefer upgrading them.

Edited by SacredTanakh

wellll, Id be willing to do better front speakers if needed. but the problem is I have to fill that space either way with new speakers.

Which if anyone who restored old broncos heard I cut holes in the nearly perfect unbuyable original panels they would have a heart attack. So haha umm, yeah I'd prefer upgrading them.

Actually, no you don't. Best thing you can do is to NOT fill that space with more speakers. Adding them would be a net negative.

Actually, no you don't. Best thing you can do is to NOT fill that space with more speakers. Adding them would be a net negative.

Well then what do you propose?

This would be a good start

Thought about ditching the rear 6x9's and putting all of your budget towards better front speakers?

As M5 said, not a very good reason to waste the money on simply filling a hole.  $$ is better put towards the front speakers.

If you're worried about the hole just find some fine mesh 6x9 grills on craigslist or local shop that has a spare set sitting around to install over the hole.  Should only be a couple bucks and you won't have to stare at a gaping hole.

Alright but I meant what are your recommendations for an specific speaker there, Ive been looking for quite a while but none of the brands Ive looked at have had that good of components. At least a brand name would be nice.  tongue.png

Oh and I dont see why it hurts to have a nice speaker there when almost all SUVs have speaker in each door minimally. Mine are facing the backseat on either side where the doors would be if I had any.

I get that less speakers equals more controllable, less cancellation, phase, etc. but one set of components while clear might not have the mid bass and such that I prefer.

Edited by SacredTanakh

or don't that's cool too, um I guess I'll figure it out.

i know it sounds odd right. ditch the rear fill. and focus on the front...

but i followed that advice, and also ditched the coax and run a active front stage,  and man o man.  you would not belive  the diffrance.

i know it sounds odd right. ditch the rear fill. and focus on the front...

but i followed that advice, and also ditched the coax and run a active front stage,  and man o man.  you would not belive  the diffrance.

Alright Ill disconnect those 6x9s, but what Ive been trying to get is a recommendation for new front speakers. At least a brand, because I've looked at a a lot of them and none of them have really stuck out at me for components. I prefer SQ, and probably 150-250 is my price range.

well what im suggesting to you is an active front stage,

google it.

4 channel amp, 2 channels running your two mid bass and 2 channels running your tweeters, you will need a nicer deck tho.

maybe its out of the budget

Why would I need a nicer deck? my deck is actually pretty nice.. and I have a 4 channel amp, and yeah I was thinking a while back cresendos 6.5 and ft1 but those seem to be more SPL then SQ. Any ideas for SQ, unless those will sound good enough?

I have a 80PRS coming for my other truck, because of the 32 band equalizer. Do I have to have something like that? I really don't want to get a different deck, cause I had to make a custom bracket and faceplate for this one... My deck and that one were similarly priced.

Edited by SacredTanakh

i dont mean nicer then what you have... i dont know what you have....

what i mean is.. you cant do it with a walmart special ... it has to be a nicer deck.

some stereos are active capible some are not.

Its in my sig and Sorry I assumed you saw it and meant nicer then mine, and I'm not changing decks, but I'm willing to buy an external crossover processor.

But I don't know much about them. would the the AudioControl 2XS work? it says 2-way electronic crossover, which seems right..

I think a better 4ch is needed though, I was thinking maybe Alpine MRP-F300 as a replacement.

Need to get rid of the dayton ND105-4s also, although they are a cool little speaker. not sure what I'm gonna do with them..

Edited by SacredTanakh