Sign in to follow this  
1two3

different size batteries

i know alot of people on here run a 3400 in the front and a 3100 in the back. im in a honda so standard size is a 51r. i wanna get an xs for the front (for now anyways) and i like to think ahead. is there a big difference between the 51 and the 3400. id have to do some customizing to get the 3400 to fit but id rather not if i dont have too. if i run a 51 in the front and a 3400/3100 in the back eventualy is the back one gunna drain the front? 

im probably only gonna have 2-2.5k and might soon be upgrading to a 190A alt

I'd just go with the 51 since it's easier to put in and run the bigger one in the back.

not a big enough difference with the 51 nd 3400 to worry about it?

34's and 31's have more lead etc. in them giving higher cca's, and in the case of deep cycles, high rc and 20hr capacity...more power. If you are going to put batteries in the back I would stick with a 51 in the front, mainly for ease of install like bassink stated.

You will not have to worry about your aux. batteries draining your starting battery as long as you isolate them with a solenoid relay or isolator. They disconnect your starting battery from the batteries powering your system when you turn your ignition off, keeping your starting battery from draining.

Be careful running 2k off of a group 51 though, unless your car is running of course, as that will drain your battery pretty fast.

There is a big difference between a 34 and a 51

34's and 31's have more lead etc. in them giving higher cca's, and in the case of deep cycles, high rc and 20hr capacity...more power. If you are going to put batteries in the back I would stick with a 51 in the front, mainly for ease of install like bassink stated.

You will not have to worry about your aux. batteries draining your starting battery as long as you isolate them with a solenoid relay or isolator. They disconnect your starting battery from the batteries powering your system when you turn your ignition off, keeping your starting battery from draining.

Be careful running 2k off of a group 51 though, unless your car is running of course, as that will drain your battery pretty fast.

i never push my system when the car is off...no way. 

i looked at one of the posts the guy from xs made and he said that looking at cca's and ah is kinda pointless, and doesnt directly relate to car audio (but with these numbers the 34 does crush the 51).  thats why they put the watt rating on them (dont really see how they could figure that works but not the other numbers...but lets go with that) and between the 51 and 34 is only a 200w difference, wich isnt all that much i dont think anyways.  

this is why im confused about all this

Edited by 1two3

If it is purely an aux battery then cca's don't matter and your ah and watt rating is close enough with the xs batteries that there is no reason to go with the 34 over the 51, especially if you aren't playing your system with the car off. I don't know how they get the watt rating on their batteries so I can't comment on that. Still a little confused on that myself :)

As long as the batteries have the same resting voltage, you will be fine with different models. In this case you're buying 2 XS power batteries, therefore resting voltages should be pretty close. It doesn't matter if one can deliver more current, the resting voltage is what matters.

Some people choose to use isolators but that really isn't needed in this case since the batteries will have similar (if not the same) resting voltages. If they were drastically different then I would possibly suggest one. I personally do not like them because of the 0.6 - 0.7 voltage drop you get running through the diode type isolator, although there are some fancier ones out now that claim 0 drop.

I have seen many people mix numerous brands of batteries that surely didn't have the exact same resting voltages without issue either. As long as none of the batteries are dead/dying it really isn't as big of an issue as some people make it out to be in my opinion. It also helps if you charge them up with a proper AGM charger once a week or so, some do it nightly. This will keep the resting voltages at thier peak and give you maximum performance.

As long as the batteries have the same resting voltage, you will be fine with different models. In this case you're buying 2 XS power batteries, therefore resting voltages should be pretty close. It doesn't matter if one can deliver more current, the resting voltage is what matters.

Some people choose to use isolators but that really isn't needed in this case since the batteries will have similar (if not the same) resting voltages. If they were drastically different then I would possibly suggest one. I personally do not like them because of the 0.6 - 0.7 voltage drop you get running through the diode type isolator, although there are some fancier ones out now that claim 0 drop.

I have seen many people mix numerous brands of batteries that surely didn't have the exact same resting voltages without issue either. As long as none of the batteries are dead/dying it really isn't as big of an issue as some people make it out to be in my opinion. It also helps if you charge them up with a proper AGM charger once a week or so, some do it nightly. This will keep the resting voltages at thier peak and give you maximum performance.

if i just have the 51r in the front i wont need the charger right? that only applies when u have multiple batteries?

If you're not adding a secondary at this time then you could probably do without a charger for now. I misread and thought you were getting both batteries at the same time.

If you're not adding a secondary at this time then you could probably do without a charger for now. I misread and thought you were getting both batteries at the same time.

Sounds good to me! Thanks