crackinhedz

Thinking of starting new...

Ok first off no flaming me please. :)

My current setup is two 12" shallow mount Pioneer subs (sealed down firing) and a Hifonics Gladiator amp...wired 750rms @ 2 ohm.

My problem is lately I've noticed a smell which I can only assume is voice coil, and I've been feeling like my output is not what it use to be. When I first had this installed it was hitting very hard and clean. My rear view mirror looked like it would fall off, and my ears would ring it was so low. Very clean, no bottoming or rattle and I loved it. But the guy who installed it set the gain by ear and I always thought he just turned knobs to appease me for whatever reason instead of setting where it should be set properly.

Long story short, I get this odd burn smell (never smelled this before so only assume voice coil) and it seems like my low clean bass is muddied and missing at certain frequencies. Even a rattle, but pressing on the cone itself does not reveal any indication of probelms, and my amp seems ok? So I just don't know if its my subs or amp, or even flaw in the enclosure and am contemplating a change. Any thoughts as to what my problem could be, or how to check?

I really like my shallow down firing setup as it saves space and looks nice (to me). But I want that deep hard hitting bass back!

I am thinking two 12" GCons - probably sealed - rear firing, and am willing to sacrifice space but not my entire space. I would consider side to side would be about 45 inches, height and depth 14". Does this sound feesible for two 12" GCons? I notice the prefab enclosures sold here, but did not see a dual 12" sealed system, when ordering do they make it to custom size or just stock dimensions?

Thanks for any help.

Just in case, check the voltage your amplifier is seeing.

What prefab enclosures are you looking at? DC Creations makes custom boxes how you want for fairly inexpensive. Check him out.

Just in case, check the voltage your amplifier is seeing.

I will have to take it by a local installer to check as I have no instruments to check anything.

What prefab enclosures are you looking at? DC Creations makes custom boxes how you want for fairly inexpensive. Check him out.

I was looking at the enclosures sold on this site...but the dual ported 12" is a bit larger than I would like...and expensive.

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/categories/enclosures.html

Edited by crackinhedz

Buy a digital mulitmeter. It'll come in handy A LOT. This way you wont have to go to an installer.

I'm not sure if they make custom boxes. If they don't, I'd suggest talking to DC Creations. The owner goes by Pro Rabbit on here.

I will have to take it by a local installer to check as I have no instruments to check anything.

Buy one, cheap and useful.

Then observe the voltage with the car off, car on, music on high.

Measure both at the battery and the amplifier itself to see if there is voltage drop anywhere in between.

You could of just got one from walmart or autozone. Same price too.

Doh!

...order cancelled. Will hit autozone tomorrow. Why didn't I think of that. LoL

Yea haha it should only be $20.

I had the same problem with my old setup and i think it was my headunit.. was using a sony xplod and maybe something to do with my pre out voltage or something like that. Got a good headunit with 5volt pre outs and haven't had it happen since.

I had the same problem with my old setup and i think it was my headunit.. was using a sony xplod and maybe something to do with my pre out voltage or something like that. Got a good headunit with 5volt pre outs and haven't had it happen since.

Im using stock Navigation unit that only has high level outputs, so Im also using a LOC...perhaps another kink in the chain?

So I bought the multimeter, anyone suggest where I should be checking and even a "how to" as I've never done it before. I have an inch or two of snow coming down now so won't be able to check today, probably tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys, hope its an easy cheap fix.

You say "missing certain frequencies" and "rattling". Sounds to me it could be a leak in the enclosure. This would cause the output and frequency response to be noticeably and could also be a part of the rattling. Possibly two panels have come loose and hitting each other when the subs are playing. I would take the subs out and check for any leaks or breaks in the box before purchasing anything. Having a leaky enclosure can cause your subs to smell as well.. If you play that kind of power on a sub with a big leak, it's almost like free-airing on full power, which is not a good thing. 

Well I never did figure out the multimeter thing...so many options and not sure where to use and how to be safe...instructions were vague and Internet video tutorials were for the most part limited.

So, I just fiddled around with the LOC and amp gains and I think I reigned it in a whole lot. Now I can play the low freq ranges without distortion and almost to ear pounding levels...think I can increase gain, but I am content for now.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, I am definitely keeping possible GCons' on my wish list for the future.