Did some testing this morning on my electrical. At the post on my alt im reading at 12.4v idle and 11.9v under load. Is there something on my Durango that would cause it not to charge at 14.4v at idle? or is it my alt going out? Its a 4.7l dodge Durango 2004 model. 270a Tenney alt.

Does it go up near 14.4 when you rev it up.

Not sure yet pm. I don't have anyone handy to help me. Also im clumsy and am afraid to try to hold two meter ends and rev engine at same time. I will post how it does at rev soon.

Alt shows 14.0v when revved....?

Has it always been that low at idle with the H.O. alternator?

I don't think so, but to be perfectly honest this is the first time I have tested it with my new dmm. the other I had was garbage. I know the other alts I had from tenney charged at 14v at idle, BUT it was on different vehicle.

I would say it needs a smaller pulley.

It has a much smaller than factory pulley on it.  Im so confused.

That may be how it is supposed to function. I have dealt with a few vehicles that idle around 12.8v then go up to 14.4-15.0v when it is needed.

That's what I was thinking too sean. Im just searching for confirmation that is the case. also would an external regulator bypass this function? Lot of stop and go driving so I don't want it charging that low any at all if possible as my battery bank is too small also.

I'm actually in the middle of getting mine back from Tenney. Sounds like it could be a fishy regulator as well.

I would see at what RPM's make the alt start charging and it could definitely be resolved with an overdrive pulley if it isn't something too high. I would say if it starts charging around 800-1000 rpm then an overdrive would pick up the slack.

I'd have to ask if you know whether or not your vehicles alt is internally regulated or external by your vehicles computer. That would be the big determining factor on if you could use another external regulator as well.

Edited by nadcicle

thanks nad, that's what im trying to figure out now. I hate to say it but if its the alt itself it will be the 3rd time being sent back. if its the alt im goin with mechman and cutting my loses

I have a mechman 300 amp on my 3.7 in a 2009 jeep liberty.

The voltage drops at idle to the thirteens.

I figure its a gm thing that the alt is told to drop voltage at idle. that's what im hoping anyway

Well that sucks you are dropping that low at idle, I can see it dropping some but that seems a bit much especially with a smaller pulley. Might be time to try another brand like you said.

On the flip side - at least you can get an upgraded alternator. I've tried a few places and no one even offers one for my car.

True, it could always be worse I suppose

thanks nad, that's what im trying to figure out now. I hate to say it but if its the alt itself it will be the 3rd time being sent back. if its the alt im goin with mechman and cutting my loses

Well, I can definitely understand if it's been 3 times. This is number 2 for me. First time he didn't even troubleshoot until after it was sent back. He just upped me from a 270 to 300. This time he was able to get the alt back on 4/4/2013 and found out the issue was a faulty internal regulator (would only charge under extreme rpm above 4k and only until it reached 14.7volts then would drop again). He then shipped it back out and it was out for delivery 4/9/2013. However, Fedex dropped the ball and says "attempt not made" on the tracking. We will see this time if this thing lasts at all. From my understanding there have been a few people that have been successful in getting refunded so you wouldn't have any losses. I'd give it a shot. I honestly wouldn't touch anything less than 6 phase hairpin after going through all this crap unless i had extras laying around. I mean if you run quad alts or something it would be worth it, but if you are just replacing a single alt then I'd prolly say Mechman or DC all day. 

Well, I can definitely understand if it's been 3 times. This is number 2 for me. First time he didn't even troubleshoot until after it was sent back. He just upped me from a 270 to 300. This time he was able to get the alt back on 4/4/2013 and found out the issue was a faulty internal regulator (would only charge under extreme rpm above 4k and only until it reached 14.7volts then would drop again). He then shipped it back out and it was out for delivery 4/9/2013. However, Fedex dropped the ball and says "attempt not made" on the tracking. We will see this time if this thing lasts at all. From my understanding there have been a few people that have been successful in getting refunded so you wouldn't have any losses. I'd give it a shot. I honestly wouldn't touch anything less than 6 phase hairpin after going through all this crap unless i had extras laying around. I mean if you run quad alts or something it would be worth it, but if you are just replacing a single alt then I'd prolly say Mechman or DC all day. 

Gonna have to agree fully man. I have tried to stand by the company but failure after failure is ridiculous. Same here, upped me from a 270 to 300 for my buick at no charge. But then again, thinkning of all the time I have spent taking off and putting on alts, its just not worth it anymore. Im gonna have to bite the bullet and admit to my wife she was right about the company from the beginning......joy!

Can you elaborate on 6 phase hairpin?

Edited by AXEHAMMER

Also I just discovered that Mechman is based in Knoxville. Just a short 1.5 hr drive if I ever have problems, actually hoping to get alt a little cheaper as I can pick it up instead of it being shipped. woot.

Well, I can definitely understand if it's been 3 times. This is number 2 for me. First time he didn't even troubleshoot until after it was sent back. He just upped me from a 270 to 300. This time he was able to get the alt back on 4/4/2013 and found out the issue was a faulty internal regulator (would only charge under extreme rpm above 4k and only until it reached 14.7volts then would drop again). He then shipped it back out and it was out for delivery 4/9/2013. However, Fedex dropped the ball and says "attempt not made" on the tracking. We will see this time if this thing lasts at all. From my understanding there have been a few people that have been successful in getting refunded so you wouldn't have any losses. I'd give it a shot. I honestly wouldn't touch anything less than 6 phase hairpin after going through all this crap unless i had extras laying around. I mean if you run quad alts or something it would be worth it, but if you are just replacing a single alt then I'd probably say Mechman or DC all day. 

I've had my Singer alt in my Jeep for about a week now, and I have absolutely 0 Complaints.  I have no problem recommending Singer to anyone, just to add to your Mechman or DC all day comment although Singer might take a week or so longer then those companies.

Singer has quoted me already and I have to admit Im impressed with his response time. I know he makes quality alts too. Depending on what Mechman quotes Singer is a definite.

I wont even consider DC. And again Mechman is top of list ONLY because its local to me.

Gonna have to agree fully man. I have tried to stand by the company but failure after failure is ridiculous. Same here, upped me from a 270 to 300 for my buick at no charge. But then again, thinkning of all the time I have spent taking off and putting on alts, its just not worth it anymore. Im gonna have to bite the bullet and admit to my wife she was right about the company from the beginning......joy!

Can you elaborate on 6 phase hairpin?

Mechman quoted:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/557694-difference-between-6-phase-3-phase-alternators.html

slot_woundvshairpin1.jpg