Sign in to follow this  
Billetproof97'

is this a good price for a ported 15'' subwoofer box

OK so as you guys know im overseas in germany right now. i went to a local car shop today and asked how much it would cost to build me a box for my Massive Audio DMX stg2 subwoofer and he quoted me 150-200 euros which is about $200-$300 for this build. the box would be made of MDF and will be carpeted. i asked about bracing and if he could build it in birch instead he didnt know what that was. the language barrier owns me and this guy. I asked him if i got the materials if he could build the sub and he said yes. so theres an option. I hear Birch is stronger and lighter, but harder to cut and you have to prep and sand the area, blah blah. anyway is this a good deal? I was recommended the box be 3 cubic feet at 33 Hz or 3.5 cubic feet at 35Hz. sub will be pushed with 1500-2000 watts rms for a daily. the guy at the shop wanted specs of the subwoofer. but i told him what my recommendations were and he said he needed specs for the builder to build it. specs are below i cant really find box specs for this subwoofer. says on the massiveaudio site to call for box specs. this will be going in a 2000 toyota camry LE     https://www.massiveaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=16153&cat=265&page=1

any help on a box would be great.

That's usually the pricing where Im at. I know your stationed over there but do you have access to tools? It'd be way cheaper. Also birch is actually easier to cut than mdf. I don't know how much birch is where you are but here it's at least double the price for me.

What we have done for many military guys over seas (apart from shipping to them) is to get designs in what the correct units to them and they just take it to the the "builder" and get a quote and built...seemed to work out pretty good.

Of course some of them guys over there do build it their self..it is much cheaper if you have access to the tools.

Pro-rabbit how much for designs? I could measure my trunk area. Theres a car care center here. They actually have a class tomorrow. I am unsure if what tools are avaliable there. I have tools but nothing to build a box with. I could also go to the local lumber shops here for mdf/ or birch. I wouldnt mind building it myself, but i was recommended that i have it built by a "pro" fuels my fire. Hate when people tell me i shouldnt do something. But i guess its so i dont overspend on a box build if i mess it up

If you are not concerned with weight built it from MDF. MDF is cheaper denser and resonates less than Birch.

Designs from us are $30 and they come with what ever tech support you may need during your build and are 3D model for easier following for build/assembly.

I don't think you have to have a "pro" build an enclosure as long as you are mechanically inclined. If you are not then of course..it may be a bit hard to build it.

intresting. I will measure and get back with you on trunk space. My toyota has a decent trunk. and im pretty happy my back seats fold down as well.

I got in good with our town's Burgermeister and then had him introduce me to a few of local carpenters. A few cold beers and T-bones from the commisary later and I had access to a wood shop and built maybe 10-15 speakers during my few years at Ramstein.

That was how I got things done why I was there...

DIY it. Or have someone teach you. Don't know where you are at, but Ramstein had a pretty nice self help wood shop also...

For tools all I use is a t square, some clamps, circular saw and a jigsaw.

I just got a new circular saw and a router so it should make some things easier!

I am in bamberg, germany. Quite a ways away from raimstein. You must be airforce. You guys have it made bro. That Af base is amazing compared to the dump im at. I shall see if those tools are avaliable tomorrow when i take that class.

Like I said, get to know some local guys.  That will probably be your best bet.

Do you live off post?

nope Im on post. married in Gov housing. a toyota camry isnt really a sports car. i dont really get any looks in this thing. and im happy i dont. lol i did strike up a converstation with the guy at the car shop though. pretty nice guy. but business is business and he was trying to sell me right then and there. i told him id come back if it was a good deal. I just wanted to see. I hear the locals around me like to rip people off. so my nco's say...

Get out and meet people.

the "hangout" spots dont really exist around here, and i havent the faintest idea where some would be.

Ok guys i went to the auto class today it was decent. showed me around, but they didnt have any kind if wood shop tools there. however there is one at my local activities center. Except they already had a class thursday and the next class is in may. Drats!!! But the instructor was nice and said if i can get 4 people to come to the class then i can have a class just for us. If not looks like in waiting... Anyway looking at my trunk today and measuring. Im lucky enough to have fold down seats in this toyota. That opening is nice its 26 inches wide by 12inches high. I think i want the box as close to the opening as possible. Trunk measures 40 inches wide and gets wider... by 20 inches height. Can show pics if need be. Height is a concern because there are two metal lines that run across the top of the trunk. trunk opening to fit the subbox in is 30 inches i wanna say. might have to wiggle the box in? I also will be looking for an amp soon. Gotta get the wife to approve.(yes im whipped dont judge me! Lol) a amp like a DD amp that runs 2k watts rms at 12 volts sounds nice. Anyway i think i have some decent trunk space for this subwoofer and the box to support it. Any helpful info would be great

What size is the trunk opening? May be easier to try and slid something through there then through the seat opening.

The likely answer you will find for a single 15" in the trunk is sub up and port to the side though. Typically it's the best way to make it fit with out building inside the trunk itself.

Im defiantly going to slide it in through the trunk opening. Trunk opening is 47 inches wide and 16 inches long and 21 inches tall. Sorry if theres any confusion. Im a Newbie

66278492.jpg

Edited by Billetproof97'