crackinhedz

Upgrade itch, wanting to scratch with SSA

I'm pretty much set with going the SSA route, just need some help with my options.

First, I am looking more for SQ rather than SPL, but also want to be able to make hairs stand on my neck and get loooow when needed. So Im thinking a sealed enclosure...also to save space.

Currently my amp runs 750rms @2 ohm (1000 @ 1 ohm stable), so most likely would upgrade amp if need. With regards to damping factor on amps, would 2 ohm be sufficient vs 1 ohm on most amps or is this not such an important aspect?

I'm considering two Gcon 12's or a single Icon/Xcon...price being important as I would like to stay under $500. If I go single sub would 15" be as efficient as two 12"? And would Icon or Xcon 15" be too boomy for sq music?

As far as enclosure space, I would be ok with the recommended "sealed optimal" size as stated in the specifications. I want to do it right, and only do it once.

Sorry if I am missing some needed details for your help, let me know what you guys think. I just need some SSA action.

Thanks guys

Oh, also recommend minimum amp RMS I should be looking for with either setup.

Thanks

Hello hedz, all i can contribute is that the xcons/icons have excellent sound quality and get loud when needed. quite frankly they are monsters to be "sq" subs. either would be a fine choice.none of them need full rms to get loud so my personal choice if I were in your shoes would be dual gcons. or single icon assuming u keep the same amp. if u do upgrade your amp two icons sealed would be wicked IMHO. hope that helps some as i know the other guys here while chime in to try and help

Also remember that box size plays a large part in efficiency. so if you are on the low side of recommended power definatly build the box on the larger side of optimal

Thanks Axe, although two Icons would be awesome it would be out of my price range.

I was definitely considering two GCons, which would be just a tad more than a single Xcon...and a single Icon would save me even more. But I am just looking for my best option as this will most likely be my only upgrade for a long time.

Thanks Axe, although two Icons would be awesome it would be out of my price range.

I was definitely considering two GCons, which would be just a tad more than a single Xcon...and a single Icon would save me even more. But I am just looking for my best option as this will most likely be my only upgrade for a long time.

I think you would be really happy with an xcon in a ported box if you can fit it properly

Well, my box dimensions could go as big as:

45" W x 18" H x 14" D

Maybe even higher or deeper, but would like some trunk space.

Not sure what that comes out to in ft^3

I have never gone with a ported enclosure and only fear playing below tuning. I know the amp has sub sonic protection, but still worries me...am I over analyzing that?

Edited by crackinhedz

Its good to be cautious. as long as u have a sub sonic filter and set it correctly u have nothing to worry about and a correctly built/designed ported box can sound just as good as sealed AND be louder. if u like the lows tune to about 33 and set ur ssf around 28 or so. my box is tuned to 33 and my xcons get LOW with authority and still sound amazing at higher frequencies. ill run the numbers but that should be PLENTY of air space for a single sub and plenty of port area also

Also with an xcon you could upgrade ur amp in the future to double what u have now and the xcon still be fine with it :)

Single 12" or 15"?

Xcon does look tempting.

Edited by crackinhedz

Hyundai santa Fe....SUV. That's good...IMO. It makes things easier as far as I'm concerned. Going ported should be of no fear. You have a subsonic filter and as long as the box is designed the right way and built correctly along with setup you'll be fine. I used to be a sealed box only guy but  was swayed when I bought my OG first gen SSA Icon 10. I might have missed it but I didn't see what sub or subs you had in the past to make a good comparison. An Xcon might be overkill for you. We know the vehichle I assume, what kind of front stage do you have? Are you trying to build a balanced system or just bass notes out the rear end? It sounds like you are seriously leaning towards "SQL" kind of like me.

My system has similar power to the sub like you have available. I am probobly around 1000 watts and I am giving all of that to a single Icon 10 in a 1.35 ported enclosure tuned to 32 hz. Front stage I have about 150 x 4 on tap running active to a set of comps. All in an 04 Explorer. No rear fill because I would most likely not be able to hear it. It gets insanely loud. I am not and never will be a fan of rap music but I do have one song on my ipod to demo for freinds. With both front windows down and the moonroof closed it flexes the doors and the flex in the roof is about an inch and a half. They get really, really loud and sound amazing. I go from that rap song and go right back to the prog rock I listen to and they play deep, precise and every other sq accolade that you can think of.

If you can fit a ported enclosure for a single sub I would highly suggest the Icon. The Gcon is a highly respectable driver and I would also throw the FI Q in there. I only ask what you have had in the past to know what you had and what you're expectations are. You could be very happy with an Icon or an FI Q on the amp you have in a ported enclosure. Are you going to want more like suggested with the Xcon? then you will get into electrical upgrades. Can your front stage keep up with that upgrade as well?  

To be totally honest I guess I don't have stock electrical. Big 3 and deep cycle battery. No dimming since the big 3 at all. 

Well, my box dimensions could go as big as:

45" W x 18" H x 14" D

Pair of Gcons PORTED. That or up to a single 15" Xcon/Gcon ported.

Size has NO correlation to boominess.

Ported has no anti-correlation with SQ.

Port tuning and unloading can be easily managed.

Thanks ou812,

In the past I had two JL 12W3's, and felt they hit pretty good...running dedicated 300rms amps to each sub.

Right now I have two 12" shallow mount Pioneer subs at 750rms. They sounded awesome when I first got them, but almost feel as if I may have burned a coil somewhere.

Anyhow, I am actually going tomorrow to a shop and getting RE XXX 6.5 comps installed front and rear connected to a JL 600/6. (100 rms @ 2 ohm) Since I am using a stock Navigation head unit Im also having them connect an LCQ1 processor.

While Im there I'm gonna have them tune everything with RTA and gonna get them to look at my subs and/or amp to see if there is anything wrong.

Pick a different shop.

Rears are a waste as is tuning with an RTA. Curious why they recommended a 6 channel amp as well...

Pair of Gcons PORTED. That or up to a single 15" Xcon/Gcon ported.Size has NO correlation to boominess.Ported has no anti-correlation with SQ.Port tuning and unloading can be easily managed.

Thanks for clearing up some of my misconceptions. I have just heard people say 15's have a harder time keeping up with faster music...or something to that effect. (I like hip hop, classic rock, 80's/90's and getting into this dubstep (?) ...so a single 15 Gcon might satisfy my thirst? That would be the cheapest route.

Thanks M5, definitely food for thought.

Pick a different shop.Rears are a waste as is tuning with an RTA. Curious why they recommended a 6 channel amp as well...

well the RTA and 6 channel amp was my idea...my car has 10 speaker setup, and figured if I ever wanted to use any of those locations I would have the extra channels to accommodate, or possibly maintain the stock 8" sub for possibly some mid bass duty.

But honestly, Im a noob so most of this was impulse and lack of knowledge. So you think I should bypass the RTA? I just wanted to get it tuned as best as possible. As it stands my Infinity system has flaws and the rear doors are non existent. As for comps in the rear, it's mainly for the headrest DVD players, so the rear passengers can hear it better.

Pick a different shop.

Rears are a waste as is tuning with an RTA. Curious why they recommended a 6 channel amp as well...

4 channels active to the front and 2 channels passive to the rear set maybe?

Pair of Gcons PORTED. That or up to a single 15" Xcon/Gcon ported.Size has NO correlation to boominess.Ported has no anti-correlation with SQ.Port tuning and unloading can be easily managed.

Thanks for clearing up some of my misconceptions. I have just heard people say 15's have a harder time keeping up with faster music...or something to that effect. (I like hip hop, classic rock, 80's/90's and getting into this dubstep (?) ...so a single 15 Gcon might satisfy my thirst? That would be the cheapest route.

I would go with the xcon man Edited by frogcase2002

I would go with the xcon man

Can you explain how you came to that conclusion?

And instead of buying the 6 channel just get a 4 and bridge it to the fronts. Don't buy the rears and instead double the budget for the fronts and install. It'll sound 1000's of times better.

And instead of buying the 6 channel just get a 4 and bridge it to the fronts. Don't buy the rears and instead double the budget for the fronts and install. It'll sound 1000's of times better.

Unfortunately I already have everything purchased.

I understand your position about rear staging, but I am also using rear DVD headrest and is more so for that, plus I'm not a pure soundstage has to be directly up front as if I were at a live concert. I kinda like the presense of sound from all around.

Also, with this JL amp if I were to bridge it can only be 4 ohm, and the comps are 2 ohm so that wouldn't work I don't think.

Unfortunately I already have everything purchased.

I understand your position about rear staging, but I am also using rear DVD headrest and is more so for that, plus I'm not a pure soundstage has to be directly up front as if I were at a live concert. I kinda like the presense of sound from all around.

Also, with this JL amp if I were to bridge it can only be 4 ohm, and the comps are 2 ohm so that wouldn't work I don't think.

You can do what you want but M5 is kinda saying what I am. The rear passengers are going to hear everything just fine. It's up to you though.

So you mean have no rear door speakers at all? Or maybe just put the 6.5 woofer and forget the tweet in the rear?

I kinda like the presense of sound from all around.

The best way to have 3D presence is to NOT have rears. All they will do is screw up all your aural cues confusing your brains capability to process the audio right creating a situation with no presence, but confusion. Since you bought them and have rear DVD's just shut them off otherwise. If you find you like them better on, then you need to spend more money on the install portion and not on equipment.

Right now it's almost as if the rears are non-existent but I attribute this more to the Hyundai/Infinity system.

And it bugs me to no end.