Sign in to follow this  
AXEHAMMER

RF questions (360.3)

I just had to replace my highs amp (jl audio 360/4) due to a malfunction. I was getting "engine" noise that came and went and also was present with car not running??!

So I purchased an RF P400x4 to match my sub amps (t1500bdcp). I am happy with the amp, its the new model so it has input clipping and output clipping indicators, and a fancy set up disc with all tones and sweeps necessary (0db and -5db). So far very pleased. Also just fyi my pioneer p4400bh DOES NOT CLIP even at full volume. But that being said I had to go almost 3/4 on gains to get the required output without clipping of course. Also my sub amps are up quite high. So, long story short, I am getting very interested in the RF 360.3.

Does anyone have experience with them or have seen them utilized? Its a little pricey but I have been considering a line driver anyway, and also, would give me control over my SSF which sadly is SET at 28hz on the sub amps.

Just looking for thoughts or opinions. Thanks everyone!

evil bump?

evil bump?

Be careful doing that as it may scramble your words in the first post! ;)

I just had to replace my highs amp (jl audio 360/4) due to a malfunction. I was getting "engine" noise that came and went and also was present with car not running??!

So I purchased an RF P400x4 to match my sub amps (t1500bdcp). I am happy with the amp, its the new model so it has input clipping and output clipping indicators, and a fancy set up disc with all tones and sweeps necessary (0db and -5db). So far very pleased. Also just fyi my pioneer p4400bh DOES NOT CLIP even at full volume. But that being said I had to go almost 3/4 on gains to get the required output without clipping of course. Also my sub amps are up quite high. So, long story short, I am getting very interested in the RF 360.3.

Does anyone have experience with them or have seen them utilized? Its a little pricey but I have been considering a line driver anyway, and also, would give me control over my SSF which sadly is SET at 28hz on the sub amps.

Just looking for thoughts or opinions. Thanks everyone!

The 360.3 is A LOT more powerful a tool than simply allowing higher preamp voltage and a variable SSF.  Whether or not you need it depends on several factors.

First, why do you want a line driver?  As long as you aren't getting thermal noise from the amps or audible noise induced during the signal transfer there is zero benefit to having a higher preamp voltage or a lower gain setting.

Do you have a want or need for the other features?  If not, then it's probably a waste of money.

Do you understand how to properly utilize the other features?  If not, then it'd easily do more damage than good to your system, or result in hair loss as a result of pulling it out trying to figure out what the hell you're doing.

I understand the basics of it but you are probably right, I would end up pulling my hair out with it. And sadly I don't have much left on top at 33 :(

My honest thinking was the biggest benefit would be reducing my gains so as to ease up on my equipment and it last longer

My honest thinking was the biggest benefit would be reducing my gains so as to ease up on my equipment and it last longer

I don't think easing up on gain would be as significant a difference as having the best electrical to support your setup.... know what I mean?

Our shop sells 360.3's and Audison bitOnes and bitTens all day, and it's a little like handing a hand grenade to a child. We typically will not sell them without our tuner tuning them. They're not really a take home project unless you know what you're doing. We generally take 3 hours to tune a car with any of the 3. I don't think you need to spend that kind of money and tackling that kind of project for preamp voltage and SSF like the boss said up top.

Well that benefit will not be the case.

Luckily gain setting has absolutely zero to do with how hard the amplifier is working, so it doesn't affect longevity.  The amplifier is working the same amount regardless of the gain position.

OK, thanks all for chiming in. I do like the qualities of the unit, but honestly without having someone set it up fairly correct for me, I would be over my head.

Again, thanks everyone makes it easy to make my decision. trink40.gif

Also, I did finally finish up my electrical and my voltage is staying pretty good. Im dropping to low 12s at full tilt on certain notes but for most part im staying in the 13s. All I need now is one more battery in the back and my electrical should be buttoned up. From there it will be deadening my roof.