I recently acquired 2 Crescendo PWX 10's and was looking into adding one to my car to help over all output. I have three ideas for setting this up. First the speaker/s will be put in a custom fiberglass box to fit behind my center console in between the back seat. The speaker/s will be firing towards the front windshield. I have Type R 6.5 components up front and coaxial 6x9's in the back. The addition will be powered by a 2 channel MTX RT2100X amp. Here are my three ideas.

1. Bridge the amp on 4 ohms and run a single PWX 10 at 280 wrms and count on the Type R tweets being enough to keep up.

2. Run a single PWX on one channel at 85 wrms and a pair Selenium St200's running at 42.5 wrms each.

3. Pair a PWX 10 with a FT 1 tweet running both at 85 wrms.

I'm looking for more overall output to my mid to higher end frequencies. The sub department is more than taken care of with my BL 15. Which one of those choices would you recommend OR how would you set this one up??

Flat out wouldn't use them, no way no how. If there are no T/S parameters for a driver it is for a reason that makes you not want to run that driver.<br /><br />Also, they aren't effective for your goals....which could be clarified. You ask for more mid to higher frequencies. Where does this start? ie, where is your "more than taken care of" sub department end and you need to add from?<br /><br />In general a ported BL won't mate nicely to the Crescendo. You need a midbass for that, not a mid. Can't tell really what it is since there are no specs, but one thing is for sure. They claim 68-4800Hz which either means it isn't a pro audio driver or it is a flat out lie in the frequency range it can play.

My BL covers everything up to 80Hz. Then my Type R speakers come into play around 120Hz. My goal was to cover everything from 80Hz to 20kHz using a combo of the PWX and a tweeter/s. Increasing the output and volume that the Type R speakers already out out. Is there anyway to make this work since I already have the 10's sitting here not being used?? I will find a use for them just wanted more output in my car.

They aren't going to help in the 80-120Hz unless the specs are absolutely terribly misleading.

Midrange in the Pro Audio realm requires a midbass. 9 out of 10 complaints about components are also in this range. If you want to increase the output of your type R's the best way is to replace them completely with something else. Adding a bandaid on top of them won't do anything positive.

To run anything active you are going to need some sort of processing. Do you already have this? If so, utilizing it to improve what you have is where I'd start and then depending on what you don't like fill in from there.

Oh, the ST200's are horseshit and should NEVER be used in a car. Anywhere you read where they promote this or anyone who has them in their car is instantly showing you that they know basically nothing about audio.

The only sound processing I have would have to be the crossovers on the amps and deck. If you can recommend something better, I will for sure look into it. Its really hard to pick speakers since theres no way to really hear them out here. Thank for your help M5.

You either need a set of components then or the willingness to buy a processor of sorts.

My BL covers everything up to 80Hz. Then my Type R speakers come into play around 120Hz. My goal was to cover everything from 80Hz to 20kHz using a combo of the PWX and a tweeter/s. Increasing the output and volume that the Type R speakers already out out. Is there anyway to make this work since I already have the 10's sitting here not being used?? I will find a use for them just wanted more output in my car.

The best use you could make of the PWX's is to sell them and use the $$ to purchase something that will actually help you achieve your goals.

Im probly going to mount them to the inside of a cooler top, add a car battery and amp to use as a camping boom box. Lol. They would work perfectly for that since they won't go well with what I have in my car.

How attached are you to the Kenwood? I replaced the Kenwood in my Jimmy with the Clarion CZ702 and I'm never looking back. The processing power that HU has for it's modest price is quite remarkable, fairly easy to use and navigate, and would suffice for most any setup. My only complaints with it is the PEQ is only 5 bands and it could stand another 10 or 20 seconds in the menus before automatically exiting them.

I just showed a friend earlier tonight what DTA and proper crossover and EQ controls can do for a person. That was about three hours ago and we're still talking about it, lol.

If you're really wanting to go active then you need to identify where you're wanting to put the speakers, the kind of fab work you're willing to do/capable of doing, and other pertinent information to get recommendations on raw drivers that would suit the application. If you'd rather stick with components those Alpines really aren't too shabby. Perhaps more attention to the installation can yield you some better results in the midbass response you're getting from them. My friend was very impressed with the components in the Jimmy and the install they're in. Even so I find myself REALLY wanting to do something different, either changing the install to get better aiming from the sets or going with an active setup of some sort. Though no matter what we do the outcome of the response is a direct result of the installation. As a wise man has said many times on here, speakers are dumb, they only do what we tell them to do in the environment we choose to put them in.

Just for clarification, I won't be recommending any raw drivers for active use as I'm still learning the in's & out's, why's & how's, and do's & dont's for active setups, driver selection and placement.