altoncustomtech

ON or OFF AXIS, What constitutes which?

Thank you again for the help Sean, and Brad.

I'm going to get things set up active first, as recommended, then worry about the issues with the drivers, again as recommended.  I think a few issues will be resolved just getting away from passive operation.  If that does indeed become the case I really look forward to spending the time tweaking and tuning it.

A little update to this thread.  Even though the Jimmy is out of commission at the moment I'm still not neglecting the audio in it.  I went ahead and picked up a Focal Solid 2 for the tweeters and an 8 awg kit from Knu to wire it with.  It's WAY more amp than they need but without going with a questionable quality (for the frequencies it will be playing) Class D that was uber small this thing should fit the bill.  It's really tiny for what it is and I don't think I'll have any great problem hiding it up front somewhere.  I can't wait to give my first REAL active setup a try!

Not a bad looking little amp.

2A54000D-0295-48CE-920E-D79FA0FEC676-150

I look forward to hearing about your transition.

If you thought you had started to listen critically before, beware that this process will take that much further smile.png

Just re-read this thread for the third time and pick up more every time. Thanks Alton for asking questions the way you do. It is hard for me to figure out the "right" questions to ask to get the answers I am looking for. 

I recently ditched my old comps and went active and was absolutely blown away by the improvement. I spent a couple hours setting crossovers and levels and I was in heaven...for 8 weeks or so and now the honeymoon phase is over and my critical ear is back but I didn't know where to start to get the sound I want.  After reading this thread again I understand a little better what it means to train your ear and how to go about training my ears.

Thank you Alton, Brad and Sean for the info, this thread has helped me find a trail head to a productive path where I can learn more about something I love.