Sign in to follow this  
ChadS13TDI

12" XCON Build. Looking for recomendations

Box design is all complete. I should have the sketchup and cut sheet for you by 4.

sweet! thanks man!

Chad Xcon 12

This is the only way it'll work right now. I don't know why my photobucket uploading button won't work. Right click on the pic and hit open. Then when it goes to my gallery right click on the pic again and click large view. It'll go to a bigger pic.

I have to work in an hour. When I get home I'll try to get some better pics.

Edited by Bassink

This is the only way it'll work right now. I don't know why my photobucket uploading button won't work. Right click on the pic and hit open. Then when it goes to my gallery right click on the pic again and click large view. It'll go to a bigger pic.

I have to work in an hour. When I get home I'll try to get some better pics.

Looks good.. I can't wait to get this thing installed!

Glad you like it. I gotta figure out why the photobucket isn't working and then ill send more.

The Xcon doesn't need a lot of power for it to be loud. Which means it doesn't need the full 2k rms or even it's 1750 rms. People run them on 600 rms and are very happy with the output. We can just make your box on the bigger side to compensate for the low power.

If you don't have the money or just don't want to get a second battery right now I would suggest running the amp at 4 ohms. This way it'll be more efficient and you won't have to worry about putting strain on your alt, battery and equipment. Your amp puts out around 700 rms at 4 ohms. I've had two and they're great amps. Adding a second battery is easy. What I did was run a pos and neg wire from the front batt to the second batt. You can run just the pos to the back batt and ground the back batt in the trunk. 

That's good you can build the box. It's way cheaper than buying and you get experience doing it. Personally I love to build them.

For you tuning I don't think you need to tune that low for your type of music. With me I had a 12" Zcon tuned to 32 hz and hit decaf's low music (28 and up) like crazy. Now I have a 15" Zcon and and it's between 33 and 34 and I don't hit that low like I want, but still able to hear it pretty good. With my tuning at 33-34 it sounds good with the dubstep and electronic music I listen too (I like a lot of that music). So for tuning I would go with 33hz if I were you.

I'll put in the measurements and see what I come up with.

Awesome that you have the 180 alt. Is it dodge charger? The volt meter is good because it'll let you know how much of a voltage drop you have and if you need more electrical upgrades(second batt). And with doing the big 3, it's no problem doing it on a new car. I have the big 3 done on my 2012 fusion.

Yeah I noticed that people run them at the lower wattage.  I guess my concern is I just want to have more than needed and I can always turn it down :)

I don't want to damage my electrical system so I'm willing to do whatever it takes (within reason).  It's seeming like running a second battery should be pretty easy given that my car has a factory spot for a battery in the trunk.  I would plan to run the power from the battery in the engine bay to the rear battery and then ground it in the trunk. then power the amp off the battery in the trunk.  Question is what battery would I need/reccomended.  can they be had for under $200?

Regarding the Big 3 upgrade.  I have seen people ADD the zero gauge to existing setup and some remove? which is the correct way, or does it matter? seems easier possibly to just add to existing but not sure?

The Vehicle is a VW Passat TDI.

Can you explain the efficiency piece for the AMP? I have read this somewhere but my Buddy seems to think it makes no difference what OHM you run the amp at.  but I have seen efficiencys go from say 86 at 4 or 2 ohm and then 1ohm it's in the 70% range.  What does this mean in layman terms?

Next question is I'm pretty sure the XCON only comes in dual 1ohm or Dual 2ohm voice coils.  Which one would I get for a 4ohm application? If I wanted more power could I rewire the same sub for 1 or 2ohms? 

I am really leaning towards just adding the second battery for what it's worth though.

Sounds good on the box tuning, looking foward to hearing what you come up with.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

kinetic hc600 and high strand count (ofc wire) 4ga should do the trick. I love my kinetic, you don't need an isolator, my car NEVER dies and I can bump it when the cars off at full volume for a good 45 minutes at least( 1000w mono and 320w 4channel). If you could go bigger i would too, they work wonders (solid 14.4volts at both amps).

The Xcon doesn't need a lot of power for it to be loud. Which means it doesn't need the full 2k rms or even it's 1750 rms. People run them on 600 rms and are very happy with the output. We can just make your box on the bigger side to compensate for the low power.

If you don't have the money or just don't want to get a second battery right now I would suggest running the amp at 4 ohms. This way it'll be more efficient and you won't have to worry about putting strain on your alt, battery and equipment. Your amp puts out around 700 rms at 4 ohms. I've had two and they're great amps. Adding a second battery is easy. What I did was run a pos and neg wire from the front batt to the second batt. You can run just the pos to the back batt and ground the back batt in the trunk. 

That's good you can build the box. It's way cheaper than buying and you get experience doing it. Personally I love to build them.

For you tuning I don't think you need to tune that low for your type of music. With me I had a 12" Zcon tuned to 32 hz and hit decaf's low music (28 and up) like crazy. Now I have a 15" Zcon and and it's between 33 and 34 and I don't hit that low like I want, but still able to hear it pretty good. With my tuning at 33-34 it sounds good with the dubstep and electronic music I listen too (I like a lot of that music). So for tuning I would go with 33hz if I were you.

I'll put in the measurements and see what I come up with.

Awesome that you have the 180 alt. Is it dodge charger? The volt meter is good because it'll let you know how much of a voltage drop you have and if you need more electrical upgrades(second batt). And with doing the big 3, it's no problem doing it on a new car. I have the big 3 done on my 2012 fusion.

Yeah I noticed that people run them at the lower wattage.  I guess my concern is I just want to have more than needed and I can always turn it down smile.png

I don't want to damage my electrical system so I'm willing to do whatever it takes (within reason).  It's seeming like running a second battery should be pretty easy given that my car has a factory spot for a battery in the trunk.  I would plan to run the power from the battery in the engine bay to the rear battery and then ground it in the trunk. then power the amp off the battery in the trunk.  Question is what battery would I need/reccomended.  can they be had for under $200?

Regarding the Big 3 upgrade.  I have seen people ADD the zero gauge to existing setup and some remove? which is the correct way, or does it matter? seems easier possibly to just add to existing but not sure?

The Vehicle is a VW Passat TDI.

Can you explain the efficiency piece for the AMP? I have read this somewhere but my Buddy seems to think it makes no difference what OHM you run the amp at.  but I have seen efficiencys go from say 86 at 4 or 2 ohm and then 1ohm it's in the 70% range.  What does this mean in layman terms?

Next question is I'm pretty sure the XCON only comes in dual 1ohm or Dual 2ohm voice coils.  Which one would I get for a 4ohm application? If I wanted more power could I rewire the same sub for 1 or 2ohms? 

I am really leaning towards just adding the second battery for what it's worth though.

Sounds good on the box tuning, looking foward to hearing what you come up with.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

kinetic hc600 and high strand count (ofc wire) 4ga should do the trick. I love my kinetic, you don't need an isolator, my car NEVER dies and I can bump it when the cars off at full volume for a good 45 minutes at least( 1000w mono and 320w 4channel). If you could go bigger i would too, they work wonders (solid 14.4volts at both amps).

Nice that looks pretty stout. I really don't know what I'm looking at when it comes to batteries but I was those Kinetic's seem to get great reviews.

I think I'm going to run my sub at 4ohm's first.  Planning to get the RF t1500cdbp (pretty sure I'm butchering that model #)  Pushes 1000rms, birth sheets are coming in near 1200rms.  I will evaluate and see if I need a second battery or possibly just upgrade the original battery.