Sign in to follow this  
ToXicFrOgXx

Is this a 4th Order Bandpass??

Hi guys. I will have some time to hang out next week and wanted to use up all my extra MDF. I wanted to attempt to make a 4th order bandpass to put a couple PWX 10's in there and hook it up to my xbox. I know they are not subwoofers but they are my test speakers. If this box turns out good I will refine my design for a couple of real subs. This is what I have come up with. Each side chamber is 1 ft^3 sealed and the center chamber is 2 ft^3 tuned at 33hz. I have no clue how a 4th order works but this is what I have come up with. If you could explain to me how a 4th order works that might help me design this and also let me know if there is anything I can change to make my design better. Thanks guys.

Screenshot2013-05-11at63358PM_zps0d5f573

ummmmm.

This is not very well thought out and a waste of wood. I'm not trying to discourage you, just save you time.

All the wood is just sitting there and so are the speakers. That's all. If its not ganna work then I wont make it. Just bored and want to make something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

All the wood is just sitting there and so are the speakers. That's all. If its not ganna work then I wont make it. Just bored and want to make something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

You could use the wood to replace your "Horrible MDF Box - 3.5^3 @ 37Hz" lol.

If you want to make something for subs that is one thing but using those would be a waste.

Its all scraps of half inch mdf that I used to practice kerfing for my Logitech sub box. I'll find something to do with it. Im 90% sure I'll just go out and buy more 3/4 to replace the "Horrible MDF Box - 3.5^3 @ 37Hz". Lol. But I was just trying to distract myself from spending more cash. If I were able to put a couple 10" subs in that box though.... Is the design very far off from halfway decent 4th order bandpass?? Is the concept there at least??

This is not very well thought out and a waste of wood. I'm not trying to discourage you, just save you time.

x2

also.

Even if you have nothing better to do and are set on building that box.. PWX 10s? at least use something that has the response down to the 33hz your attempting to get to.

Its all scraps of half inch mdf that I used to practice kerfing for my Logitech sub box. I'll find something to do with it. Im 90% sure I'll just go out and buy more 3/4 to replace the "Horrible MDF Box - 3.5^3 @ 37Hz". Lol. But I was just trying to distract myself from spending more cash. If I were able to put a couple 10" subs in that box though.... Is the design very far off from halfway decent 4th order bandpass?? Is the concept there at least??

Why do you want a band pass and not a standard vented 4th order?

First off don't call it a 4th order bandpass

It is a sealed rear chamber bandpass enclosure.

The order is in regards to the frequency roll off. And it will very. 4th order means that the roll off resembles a 4th order butterworth filter, 24db/octave. Being the design of the enclosure will alter the roll off it is not correct to call it 4th order.

The sealed section determines the Q of the enclosure as well as the bottom roll off. Just like a sealed enclosure. The ported section dictates the high end roll off

There are only three reasons to use a bandpass box over any other type of enclosure.

1. You are limited by the avaliable radiating area in the vehicle. e.g. Porting thru a ski hole.

2. To create a ripple in response to increase output at a certain frequency for SPL. Normally anything over 3-5db ripple will cause unloading issues under musical conditions.

3. Your amp doesn't have high and low pass filters.

Alright. I can see Im in way over my head. Lol. I just wanted to see if I could make something different than an L ported box but I need some more experience first... I don't know what a standard vented 4th order is. And I choose the PWX 10's because well I have them sitting here not being used at the moment. It looks like there is way more to this than I originally thought...