Sign in to follow this  

will a 130amp alternator suffice for a SSA ZCON 15 D1 either at .5 or 1ohm on a Crescendo bc200D and some other goodies down the road or would a 200amp alt be better

2000watts / 14.4v = 139A @ 100% efficiency. Amps are not anywhere near 100%.

Wiring lower than "1ohm" will increase this amperage draw.

Generally stock alternators don't come with much headroom as it's not cost effective nor needed very often, so expect the majority of your alternator's output to be used by the car.

So I would say no.

Edited by stefanhinote

sorry to piggyback your thread,

when upgrading the alternator, what else do you need to consider/buy? a new pulley belt? (if thats what they're called)

Is all you have to do is take to a mechanic to have installed or is there more to the process? (how much money does installing an alternator go for? I know its vehicle dependant, but ballpark?)

Im kind of in the same boat, and considering the alternator upgrade as well.

grumby13, on 06 Jun 2013 - 12:46, said:

will a 130amp alternator suffice for a SSA ZCON 15 D1 either at .5 or 1ohm on a Crescendo bc200D and some other goodies down the road or would a 200amp alt be better

You can't wire a d1 to one ohm unless you have two. your choices are .5 or 2 ohms. And I wouldn't do .5 ohms for a daily driver. Edited by pmureika

You can't  wire a d1 to one ohm unless you have two. your choices are .5 or 2 ohms.

Good catch.

sorry to piggyback your thread,

when upgrading the alternator, what else do you need to consider/buy? a new pulley belt? (if thats what they're called)

Is all you have to do is take to a mechanic to have installed or is there more to the process? (how much money does installing an alternator go for? I know its vehicle dependant, but ballpark?)

Im kind of in the same boat, and considering the alternator upgrade as well.

Swapping the belt at the same time may be a good idea while you're at it. Look at mileage, and cost of new belt.

Depending on the aftermarket alternator it may require a relay hooked up to 12v power when key is in ignition (I think I worded that correctly. Basically it needs 12v when the vehicle is running, so it knows to turn on). My aftermarket alternator needed this, and I tested the circuits in the fusebox for power when the vehicle was on, and no power with vehicle off, than I spliced into one.

Labor is going to vary largely from one vehicle to the next. I did everything in my jeep under two hours. The same job on my volvo takes almost twice as long if you've done it before.

Edited by stefanhinote

Then why make a dual 1ohm if it can't do 1 ohm load

DVC, dual voice coil = two voice coils. Each 1ohm. 2x1ohm=2ohms

What impedance the amplifier will see is actually a bit more complicating than wiring to "1ohm" or "2ohm," etc, but in this circumstance the above should suffice for your question.

Before your purchase you can use this calculator to find out the wiring options: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp

You want a d2 if you are running a single sub, and want a 1 ohm load.

What do you mean by better?

Technically a larger alternator is always better even if stock appears to be sufficient.

Alternators are to be used in cyclic usage, not 100% duty.

The rectifier is what normally gets damaged when abusing an alternator.  

Using a larger rectifier(larger alt or dual rectifier) will decrease the amount of heat that is being generated around the rectifier.

It takes time.  Not 1 second, but time for heat to kill the alt.

I ran 21,000w of power on a stock alt for 3 months fine.  IT takes TIME to heat the rectifier up and kill it.

Because i have always been limited to fitting multi alts in my vehicles, i choose to run a temp-monitored alt so i can have the peace of mind that at any time i can pull more current that the alt can handle for as long as i wish without worrying about the alternator failing. 

@ricksi I will be running 1 sub then down the road I will run two is it difficult to recone to a dual 1ohm. Why would it be bad to run half ohm for daily use it will be daily and some competitions.

@ricksi I will be running 1 sub then down the road I will run two is it difficult to recone to a dual 1ohm. Why would it be bad to run half ohm for daily use it will be daily and some competitions.

What amp do you plan on using when you get a second sub? It's not difficult to recone, but it is a waste of money.

Crescendo 3500 or 5500 depends where I'm financially at, at the time but I want to use the full potential of the amp. My bc2000d is half ohm stable.

Run it at 2 Ohms, OP.

Focus on an efficient box

I'm gonna build it to 4.5cu ft with a 31 or 30hz tune what would happen if I run it on a half ohm

Edited by grumby13