Sign in to follow this  
wannabang

New box ideas for my Edge.

So I've had the car a year, and after a spring break trip to Florida, I found out that it's cramped with three passengers and luggage for a week.  My brother should be getting a car within two years and he wants the current set up, so I'm getting a head start on my planning LOL, ready to pull the trigger when I get the money to do so.

20120821_153435.jpg

I built my own floor for the extra battery and some storage space.  The sub box currently fits across the whole trunk from the back to the break in those side pieces.  I want to put together two separate boxes, each to house either an SA-8 or an SD-8, sub facing back.  I still want to keep access to my spare, so the cover I made for it will be split into fourths and hinged to fold up into the side of each box.  Haven't decided sealed or ported, which may help me pick the woofer.  If I port it, it would be with a 3" aero with a bend, ported up.  Both boxes are about .62 cu.ft.  I can't go much smaller, either, for the folding center piece to work.  Here's a sketchup:

FordEdgeReboxed_zps3851a8cb.jpg

This is the sealed box idea.  Lemme know what y'all think, and what combo of sub and box type I should go with.  I'm also concerned about the box size being adequate enough for the box.

Can a 10" physically fit? I would stay away from an 8, also the two boxes will be about the same size. Find a 10, that likes small enclosures. The ICON comes to mind, .5 cubic feet sealed

^^^this

No 8" sub, why not just build a sealed box for what you have now or for a 10"/12" woofer to give you more space?

Two tens means I'm definitely going sealed.  I'll look into it.  I thought about just sealing the icon 15 I have, but I'm also trying to make my spare more accessible.  Currently, I have to unscrew the box, disconnect all amp wires, and rock the box onto it's back (since it's too heavy for me to remove myself).  These boxes on the side would make it easier to access the spare, and allow ample luggage/sitting room, and a little space to put the seats down and haul bigger objects.  Overall, it gives me back the features of having an SUV.

The only think now is, where do I mount the amp?

Edited by wannabang

Would airflow remain efficient if I made the slanted edge completely vertical, essentially make the box two different size rectangles, one on top of the other?

I sat around thinking today, and decided that it'd be cheaper to just do one twelve sealed instead of having two different boxes on either side of the car.  The Icon 12 doesn't have a pole vent, which (I think) allows me to put it (6.5" mounting depth) into a box with a 6.5" depth.  The box is 1.19 cu.ft.

ReboxIdea2_zps13400e28.jpg

Don't worry, I'll probably add some 45s and a ring to the outside to mount the sub on, but I don't intend on having a double baffle.  The box is 29 x 21 x 6.5.  The raised part allows the battery to sit in its current location and is 18" in height.  Part of me has been debating on building new storage spaces and just putting the oem floor back down and securing the box with velcro.

Edited by wannabang

If I were to build a ported box for 2 SA-10s, subs forward, port up, 35.5 x 14.5 x 12, do you think the box would tip over upon stopping if I mounted the subs to the bottom of the box?

Reboxingidea3_zpsa8ac6896.jpg

This will go right along the front of the trunk, so when you open the hatch, you have to lift things over this to put it in the trunk.  This way I can utilized my folding seats.

You could make upfiring enclosure like people do with the wheel well space instead of storage compartments. Using some type of grill cover, you would retain your trunk space altogether.

Ah nevermind, looked more closely... You do still have the spare underneath, didnt catch that.

Ah nevermind, looked more closely... You do still have the spare underneath, didnt catch that.

That's the thing I want to keep, and I only have 6.5" on either side of the spare.