Shogen

Bedroom/PC receiver thoughts? Suggestions?

might be getting a gift from the lady soon .... My Marantz is on the fritz and I haven't called a dealer yet for anything BUT .... it's about 5yrs old not that I think it's old but I wonder what its gonna cost me to fix... it does a cycle boot kinda like a computer... Turns on, screen display comes up, blue activity light comes on, then shuts of into standby and the red standby light comes on... repeat... sometimes the characters looks like Chinese on the screen display ... fckin weird and sucks.... I use this Marantz in the bedroom hooked into my PC ..

The model is SR-5002. It's great but who knows if it can be repaired and stay that way... I'll look into the cost but as I was telling the lady about it she offered to "replace" it soon as a belated b-day gift.

I was looking at this Cambridge 2.1 amp setup ... no video inputs JUST sound... it got great reviews for headphone output as well which I am using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros with the Marantz.. 

CASOAR30_F-Large.jpg

CASOAR30_R-Large.jpg

A gut shot for you dirty dudes.... 

CASOAR30_INT-Large.jpg

Grab a miniDSP with vol control for $110 and a used Adcom 535 of CL for $90 and call it a day. It'll give you any and all processing along with a helluva an amp. Looks better too IMO.

Need to make a cool box for the volume control though

When you find/make a cool box, make a spare. I need one tongue.png

I always forget about the Mini until you bring it up... lol ...

I'm looking and will return for you Sean!

Grab a miniDSP with vol control for $110 and a used Adcom 535 of CL for $90 and call it a day. It'll give you any and all processing along with a helluva an amp. Looks better too IMO.

WAIT!!! Stop the presses!!! I need headphone output too..... can I manage that with it the Mini?

AND..... no subwoofer output??? I don't think that will work for me... at least not that Adcom ... 

UNLESS ... I get 2 of them... or something similar? hmmm 

Edited by Shogen

Wait... I forgot... I have a powered subwoofer... DOH!!! ... output from the MINI to the subwoofer directly and to the stereo amp

AND..... no subwoofer output??? I don't think that will work for me... at least not that Adcom ... 

WAIT!!! Stop the presses!!! I need headphone output too..... can I manage that with it the Mini?

Should use a dedicated headphone amp for that. Can Y them with a simple toggle.

The mini will, still need an amp for the sub though.

Powered subwoofer.... end of story there... 

In the manual... MINI the mapping is making me think it might be difficult to get it to go what I want or I'm overthinking... 

Input 1 controls Output 1&3

Input 2 controls Output 2&4

With the setting in the program I can make Outputs 1&3 the bookshelf speakers and Outputs 2&4 or 2 or 4 for the subwoofer??? Correct?

If I would get the newer line I'd actually go for the 1403 ... more than adequate for my bedroom/PC setup .... and can get a decent deal on it ... but I wouldn't even be using the HDMI interface since my monitor only handles 2 devices very easily. And if I get a TV at some point that would be the same deal... 

Thank you though

Powered subwoofer.... end of story there... 

In the manual... MINI the mapping is making me think it might be difficult to get it to go what I want or I'm overthinking... 

Input 1 controls Output 1&3

Input 2 controls Output 2&4

With the setting in the program I can make Outputs 1&3 the bookshelf speakers and Outputs 2&4 or 2 or 4 for the subwoofer??? Correct?

I see you posted before I posted. Answer to your question is yes. You'd need the 2.1 plugin.

I'd MUCH rather have an older used 2 channel amplifier and even a passive volume knob than any of those receivers for a 2.1 chn 1 input application. Paying for tons of crap you won't use and skimping on what you will.

Exactly the reason I'm not looking for a receiver specifically... If I do get this Marantz fix then its fine... but might be a little project anyway and I can put the Marantz in place of the Denon I'm using downstairs... WOOT!!! okay let me not get so ahead of myself

I'd MUCH rather have an older used 2 channel amplifier and even a passive volume knob than any of those receivers for a 2.1 chn 1 input application. Paying for tons of crap you won't use and skimping on what you will.

If you don't need the processing an audio taper ALPS pot for 4 chn is about $50.

Super great sounding for a pot. Spend anymore and I'd get a real pre-amp.

Question becomes how badly do you need the headphone output and if so are you willing to pay for that too. Headphone out is junk on the receiver though.

My Marantz did exceptionally well... I used to have a Qinpu modded tube amp for my headphones but sold it to a friend since I wasn't hearing a HUGE difference between my Marantz output for the amount of hours I put on the cans nowadays... 

If you don't need the processing an audio taper ALPS pot for 4 chn is about $50.

Super great sounding for a pot. Spend anymore and I'd get a real pre-amp.

Question becomes how badly do you need the headphone output and if so are you willing to pay for that too. Headphone out is junk on the receiver though.

Edited by Shogen