argenis69

Sound Deadening, which?

Hi, I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima, I see lots of people taking about the Sound Deadening the front doors, which mine have 6.5 speakers, and telling me that will help my install, etc... I would like to see some experienced opinions on this and if possible what type, what amount and which brand do you recommend?(the less expensive the better)

Thank you.

Like the rest of the hobby, you get what you pay for but how it's used determines much more than what is being used.  With Sound deadening there's WAY more to it than just slapping some Dynamat, SecondSkin, or whatever name brand you're familiar with on and being done with it.  The hard part is figuring out exactly what needs treated and how far you want to go.  If you only have some minor rattles and such a little bit of CLD tiles (Dynamat, Damplifier, etc.) and some CCF (closed cell foam) can make a big difference for you.  If you're wanting to have the quietest ride you can with minimal road noise and no squeaks or rattles you'll have much more work and money involved as you'll need the CLD, CCF and MLV (mass loaded vinyl) to achieve that goal.  If you're having problems with lackluster midbass response you'll want to build custom baffles to mount your speakers to along with a full treatment of the above mentioned products on your doors (or wherever the speakers are mounted in any case) to get much improved response.

One of the best websites and products there are for sound deadening and information on what the products are, do, how they work and how to properly apply them visit Sound Deadener Showdown (SDS).  You'll not find a more knowledgeable person on deadening products and their use, nor a more honest business man, who will only sell you as much product as you truly need to achieve the goal you want.  If SDS, Dynamat or Second Skin are out of your price range you can visit Raam Audio for their products.  They don't sell MLV but they do have CLD (called BXT II) and CCF that are fairly decent products for the budget minded price.

As for the amount to use.  Typically 25% coverage is all that's necessary for the CLD tiles.  As for the CCF and MLV, typically 100% coverage is necessary for them to work as they're intended to do.

Best bang for your buck AND advice here:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

My daily driver is completely done with SDS.  Outstanding product.

Didn't you used to have a link to that installation build in your signature?

Didn't you used to have a link to that installation build in your signature?

It's pinned in the TeamSSA section. :)