I have a 1998 s10 ext. I have a small amp in the back that goes to my mids, but for some reason after I listen to the radio for five minutes or less it completly kills my battery down to the point where my truck will not start so I have to get a jump. It only happens when I turn on my stereo. I had the battery and alternator tested and their fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

sounds like a bad battery,  i understand you have had it tested but thats what it sounds like... a small amp only uses around 20 amps ......

so your telling me if you leave your headlights and the a/c blower motor on for 15 -20 mins your truck will start right up?

but if you play your stereo.. with only a small amp powering door speakers for 10 mins it kills your battery?

If you are draining a battery that quickly, the battery is suspect.  THe test done on the battery obviously is falsified.

I have replaced the battery, so I'm pretty sure that's not it. The only thing that runs it dead is listening to the stereo. Could it be a short in the amp? Any other ideas please?

Yes big Jon that's what I'm saying sometimes I'll sit in the parking lot for over an hour with lights, ac on ect. The only thing that runs my truck dead is the radio.

swap the amp out with another..

There's no way the amp could be that much of a load on the battery.  The problem you are having is aking to trying to start the car unseccessfully for several minutes.  You are using about 500 amps every minute.  It can really only be the battery, or at most, the alternator is not charging, but that will show it's head radio working or not.

It's a small us amps 2 ch. think Merlin with the plexi bottom. Vehicle has big 3 done. 1/0 ran to the back where it's put into a power block where it's brought back down to 8 awg wire for the amp. Only amp in the vehicle.

Bring it over one day when I'm off work, I got a few amps we can put in its place to test this.

Usually home by 5 or so. Not sure what I got goin on tomorrow. Call me up tomorrow sometime. We can swap your amp and ill look it over.

You guys can come test stuff at the shop if you want.

It's a small us amps 2 ch. think Merlin with the plexi bottom. Vehicle has big 3 done. 1/0 ran to the back where it's put into a power block where it's brought back down to 8 awg wire for the amp. Only amp in the vehicle.

Bring it over one day when I'm off work, I got a few amps we can put in its place to test this.

Try a clamp meter first if you have one.

To see how much that old amp is drawing.

Drew, I work at Paradyme.

Doubt he's close to us. No clamp meter just a DMM. Think ill check his battery voltage at different times. Try a different amp. Check the connections. Hope something shows its face so this stupid problem is out of the way.

Stockton and Sacramento?

Edited by gprestonmoto

We live in stockton, I work in sac.. You have a shop around here?

I don't own a shop, but I work at one in Sacramento.

Spit it out lol. What one?

Paradyme. Unfortunately the shop is packed today, had some down time yesterday

Edited by gprestonmoto

I've heard nothing but good about that place. Always wanted to check it out but never seem to have the time

I've heard nothing but good about that place. Always wanted to check it out but never seem to have the time

It's a good shop man. I really try to go the extra mile for people. Of course business and hobbies sometimes clash, but I just stay honest and we try to do whatever we can for our customers. If you ever want to stop by, feel free and ask for Drew, that's me.