Sign in to follow this  
ncc74656

off topic but i dont know who else to ask. fiberglassing

I need to make a snorkel for my truck so i need to build a fiberglass tube that goes through my fender and up the A pillar. how should i go about building a fiberglass tube in this manor? also what is the customary way to attach such a thing to the outside of the vehicle? 

thanks.

I thought that you could order a kit for that application ...

Although most I've seen done is Jeeps, 4 - Runners, Land Cruizers, and Range Rovers ...

You going in waters deep enough to dround out that Dodge ??? If so, are you going to turn your exhaust pipes up through the bed too ???

exhaust dosnt matter, there is more than enough back pressure there to hold the water out. intake is all i am worried about.

they do not make any prefab snorkel for the dodge ram 2nd gen so i must make my own. 

i will need to ensure the tube has at least a 5" diameter volume to allow for proper air flow, past that i need to work out how i am going to get it through the fender. perhaps cutting a hole and using a 5" cardboard tube through the fender and glassing over that as i make the bottom of the snorkel. i could then mold up some of that filler tube and just pull it out when its done. does fiber glass burn? could i use a very flammable material as my mold and then just set it on fire to get it out like you do in pottery? 

if i built the mounting hardware into the bottom layer of fiber i would not need to cut it open i think. 

edit: where would the filter be in this? would the snorkel go into a box where the factory box is and a cylinder filter such as one from volant and then that connects to the turbo? if so then the box could be used to drain any water that gets in and to accumulate any dust or dirt in there. that sound right?

Edited by ncc74656

exhaust dosnt matter, there is more than enough back pressure there to hold the water out. intake is all i am worried about.

I've heard this one before brother ... and the reason why our 4-wds have CV stacks on them ...

What's the plan for the transmission? Or the rear end?

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

trans, Tcase, axles, and electrical is already done. its all been rebuilt with water in mind.  intake is the last thing i need to work on

trans, Tcase, axles, and electrical is already done. its all been rebuilt with water in mind. intake is the last thing i need to work on

What did you have done to them? They aren't sealed. The vent for the trans is on top. And the vent for the rearend runs up to the bed.

Edited by Quentin Jarrell

transmission has been sealed front to rear, the inspection plate has a modified breather tube for atmospheric venting. the axles vent tubes run into a filter box at the top of the cab, the crank case breather tube has a check valve installed and a trap in an elongated run to the mid truck. all electrical connections are using water tight harnesses and all splices are heat shrinked. door seals and firewall plugs have been replaced with more rigid rubber seals. a clear hose has been installed on 2 oil check ports on the engine, this is to allow for visual inspection of the oil color. 

the axles have had flush hex nuts tapped into the bottom of the pumpkins to allow water to drain out after an off road excursion. 

What I would do is purchase a snorkle for a new truck and build an adapter at the fender instead of building the entire piece.

trouble is they don't sell a snorkel for this year of truck and the newer trucks have different fender sizes and body lines. it would be a rather awkward fit. in my mind i would think it would be easier and smoother to build a custom out of carbon/glass. do you think im incorrect about that assertion?