Sign in to follow this  
tburt915

Tuning advice

I see that there are a shit ton of abreviations for specs about subs. for example:

fs

qms

qes

qts

mms

cms

sd

vas

spl

bl

My question is, when designing a box are there any one of these numbers i should pay attension to when deciding volume and tuning?

-Thanks 

Personally, The only number that helps me when designing a box is the fs. If the fs is high like 40-45 hz, usually its better to tune higher.

i was looking at a sub with a fs of 30 so i was going to tune the box to 30 hz. i had a sub with a fs of 40 and i tuned its box to 34hz and it just does not like lows

thats not how subs work.. the list of specs there are called thiele small parameters.  to design a proper enclosure you, or a program like winisd, takes all of those parameters into account and models the subwoofer and enclosure. 

Personally, The only number that helps me when designing a box is the fs. If the fs is high like 40-45 hz, usually its better to tune higher.

trippy.gif

trippy.gif

Am I way off?

trippy.gif

Am I way off?

i don't understand where you got that idea from. how did you go about determining the other enclosure specs? 

trippy.gif

Am I way off?

i don't understand where you got that idea from. how did you go about determining the other enclosure specs? 

I figured that you use the recommended enclosure size from what the manufacturer gives, and then you tune the box with the fs depending on whether it is higher or lower.

Edited by khinds94

Fs: 30.1 Hz

Re: 0.7 Ohms/coil

Qms: 7.65

Qes: .37

Qts: .36

Mms: 248g

Cms: 0.11mm/N

Sd: 480cm^2

Vas: 36.5 l

Spl: 86.1dB 1W/1m

Bl: 13.1

Xmax: 20mm

Rms: 1000W

Sealed box: .7-1.2 cuft

Ported box: 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 33Hz

Sub OD: 12.500”

Cut ID: 11.125”

Mounting depth: 6.500”

Displacement: 0.14cuft

this is the parameters. I plan on putting 2 12in fi ssds in an aero ported box. if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by tburt915

trippy.gif

Am I way off?
I figured that you use the recommended enclosure size from what the manufacturer gives, and then you tune the box with the fs depending on whether it is higher or lower.
NO. One single specification tells you NOTHING about a driver. There is a reason that Thiele & Small have a list of parameters. They ALL need to be accounted for to design a reasonable box. As for following the manufacturers recommendations that is generally the best idea if you don't intrinsically understand ALL of the parameters. Just don't go changing the tuning though either-follow the recommendations completely.

trippy.gif

Am I way off?

NO. One single specification tells you NOTHING about a driver. There is a reason that Thiele & Small have a list of parameters. They ALL need to be accounted for to design a reasonable box. As for following the manufacturers recommendations that is generally the best idea if you don't intrinsically understand ALL of the parameters. Just don't go changing the tuning though either-follow the recommendations completely.

Oh ok thanks for the info

what are the max dimensions available that the enclosure can use?

I've honestly never paid attention the the T/S parameters, and all my custom enclosures sound amazing and get plenty loud. 

It just comes with experience.