Sign in to follow this  
SpeakerBoy

Worth it, or not? A few questions regarding practicality

It's been said many times that it's not as useful to add more power, as to have a more efficient enclosure, or that a single woofer in a correctly designed enclosure is generally better off than two or more in less than adequate boxes; I took some measurements of my truck, and it looks like I have plenty of room for a pair of 18's. But will the difference between one and two woofers be worth the extra costs? I'm looking to get loud, and sound fairly good doing it, however I cannot afford high power woofers, especially until I can get larger alt in. My budget for woofers is <$400 each, but I have to determine what i'll be getting before I can make a choice for an amp. If I were to run a pair, materials cost would rise, electrical would need to be beefed up a fair bit, and cost would double for the speakers themselves; not chasing numbers, is the difference going to be substantial? It's a near useless question is the answer i'm expecting, as it's obviously install dependent, but for ~$800 difference, I feel it's a question worth asking.

Subs in mind are Obsidian 18's, Icon 18's, Q 18's, SSD 18's, going in a 04' blazer 4dr

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Not a useless question and physics provides a ready answer. Double power and cone area (I.e. Double your displacement) and output increases 6db....which is going to sound about twice as loud in the sub bass. If you double cone area and keep power the same, you gain 3db which is noticeable but not twice as loud. This of course assumes the alignment is the same in each scenario.

Now, asking whether 1 sub or 2 would be loud enough for you is a useless question as it depends on your personal preferences. We can't answer that for you. Worth the cost is another personal decision on how loud you need your bass to be to satisfied. Personally If money is an issue I'd focus on a single quality subwoofer in a well designed enclosure.

I am never opposed to more bass tongue.png I was mainly wondering if it would be worth the extra moneys. Twice as loud sounds delightful to me.

Now, because I keep seeming to hear people talk about the obsidians as being ALRIGHT, I thought i'd look around and hold out for something a little more popular, SSA, or Fi based.

I am looking for loud, but not willing to sacrifice accuracy and quality. I know that both the Q and the Icon are SQ subs, but between the two, which tends to be easier to get loud? I know low isn't an issue for either. I'm sure someone will get on me about using SQ subs for SPL, but I mean, if two 18's isn't loud enough for me, i'll have to come to terms with the fact that my wallet is already weeping, so I mean, fuck it lol. That's all i've got space for, and with that, i'd like the cleanest sound possible. I am thinking of going with a stetsom 2k5e, a tad under power, but noone will ever know smile.png

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Not a useless question and physics provides a ready answer. Double power and cone area (I.e. Double your displacement) and output increases 6db....which is going to sound about twice as loud in the sub bass. If you double cone area and keep power the same, you gain 3db which is noticeable but not twice as loud. This of course assumes the alignment is the same in each scenario.

Now, asking whether 1 sub or 2 would be loud enough for you is a useless question as it depends on your personal preferences. We can't answer that for you. Worth the cost is another personal decision on how loud you need your bass to be to satisfied. Personally If money is an issue I'd focus on a single quality subwoofer in a well designed enclosure.

Another option i'm considering is a box built for two eighteens, just separate chamber, and i'll pick the other one up with money is less scarce.

Okay, so the stetsom 2k5e is rated for 2500 watts @ 12.6v and 3300 watts @ 13.8v, depending on your electrical back up I would look at

there is also the DLP customs MLD18 through the SSA store @ $395 each (in your 400/per price range for 2)(1500 watts/ea)

If you were looking to do just one 18 you could always look at an SSA Evil 18 ($799 in the SSA Store)(3250 watts)

Or if you wanted to go with a single 21" sub you could look at the 21" Judge from IA ($799 in the SSA store)(2500 watts)

Then there is alway the option of looking at used gear...

Okay, so the stetsom 2k5e is rated for 2500 watts @ 12.6v and 3300 watts @ 13.8v, depending on your electrical back up I would look at

there is also the DLP customs MLD18 through the SSA store @ $395 each (in your 400/per price range for 2)(1500 watts/ea)

If you were looking to do just one 18 you could always look at an SSA Evil 18 ($799 in the SSA Store)(3250 watts)

Or if you wanted to go with a single 21" sub you could look at the 21" Judge from IA ($799 in the SSA store)(2500 watts)

Then there is alway the option of looking at used gear...

I'm useless when it comes to buying used gear, I always seems to get ripped off :( I like the Evil, I've heard nothing but good stuff about it :)

Another option i'm considering is a box built for two eighteens, just separate chamber, and i'll pick the other one up with money is less scarce.

That sounds like a plan. Who knows, maybe one will be enough ;) 

The Obsidian 18 V3 should be available for pre-order soon :) I think they will be $142 plus shipping

$169 + shipping ... looks like a good idea to me speaker!

The Obsidian 18 V3 should be available for pre-order soon smile.png I think they will be $142 plus shipping

Haha shit, for 169, fuck my backseats :D I'd happily do a quad 18" setup

I know I am getting to OA 12 V3