KyleBrown

Brainstorming front stage

10k watts of bass and you want something to keep up but only have $150? Of course the thread is going nowhere. You can't cheat Physics. For your budget a set of off the shelf components will be the smallest compromise.

150 per side on the highs, 150 per side on the low mid bass, 600 total and the word trying was in there. 

10k watts of bass and you want something to keep up but only have $150? Of course the thread is going nowhere. You can't cheat Physics. For your budget a set of off the shelf components will be the smallest compromise.

150 per side on the highs, 150 per side on the low mid bass, 600 total and the word trying was in there.

How important is midbass to you? What do you have for processing? How much power and what impedance? How much effort and what are you willing to do to make the install work?

Everything is important. I've got plenty of amps for highs and I'm thinking about trading my double din for a 80prs.  I'm waiting to finalize my amp situation. 

Effort and midbass questions still pertain. Just an FYI, 80prs and FR'ers isn't really a good mix. The HP channel doesn't go low enough. (this is only an IIRC as I haven't owned or played with an 80, but it is for sure on the 880 for which IIRC had the same HP options).

I would also say it isn't the greatest h/u for horns. Taming a horn I really prefer the flexibility of an adjustable parametric eq.

Here I will help with the perspective.

4 18's on 10k will yield xdB at 50Hz. If you want your midbass to "keep up" it will also need to tickle the same x dB at 100Hz (assuming you roll your subs off before then). Go ahead and model an 8 and see how many you'd need to come to the same level as the 18's with what power.

Yes, it'll make you realize how absurd your budget is and put into context the compromises I was inferring.

Just for quick reference I quickly modeled ten of the 10" Aura NS model drivers, like the ones Jared (jroadtatts) used on the first build in his Honda.  Ten of them in a ported enclosure running their rated power of 4,000 watts (400w x 10 drivers) would only yield about 132dB of output.  Ten is the maximum number WinISD allows me to model.  Playing with the tuning can get 2-3dB more at 100hz but still nothing to compete with 160dB.

That sure seems to throw infeasibility on top of the pile quickly, at least from what I'm seeing.

Ding, ding, ding.

Those are pretty beefy subs too. Now at least you understand when I say get ready to spend MORE on your front stage if you want it to "keep up". You HAVE to compromise, the question is how much. Obviously doing 160dB of midbass is never necessary, but neither is that at 40Hz. All is in the choices you make.

The mid bass doesn't have to keep up and at those levels, you won't  notice it anyway. I just want music to be audible at the high levels, I know it will still get somewhat drowned out from the sub stage. I want midbass in there so I can have it at moderate listening levels and still have a nice clear sound "up front." I like to enjoy my music at high levels sometimes.  I'm not going to to be blasting 160db every time I'm in my truck or whatever it ends up doing... 

I have leviathan and it has pretty nice nice xovers on it. I have a T800.2 which is a serious power house. Which I'm considering selling so I can fund another leviathan. 

This is my current  HU

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-X5500BHS

It's not a bad unit and it has some nifty features but I don't like the lag.

This thread is going in circles and leading nowhere..... 

It went exactly where it needed to go, you finally understand the situation. Wouldn't call that circles. Any other circling is due only to yourself.

Still need to pick your compromise. Either output or FR.

Nice clear sound up front at high levels SCREAMS horns. Budget is okay, if you buy them used. Going to need some processing to dial them in but that is do-able. Going to have a midbass gap, but that you seem to be okay with.

I understand the situation just fine. Maybe you don't understand that. I've got my plan, thanks for your attempt at helping...