Sign in to follow this  
pmureika

Clipped signal.

Will a clipped signal cause the coils to run hotter and possible damage them?

a clipper signal creates more heat over a given time.  If that additional heat is under the thermal limits of the transducer it will have no affect.

a clipper signal creates more heat over a given time.  If that additional heat is under the thermal limits of the transducer it will have no affect.

Reason for asking is I have read articles that go both ways with clipping.

All a signal is voltage.  A clipped signal is the same amplitude of voltage just more cramed into a time period.  Google what a clipped signal is (not on a car audio forum) and its pretty clear why.

If you are listening to FM radio, you are listening to heavily clipped signals...

Watt for watt, clipped or unclipped, it makes no difference...  Like Quentin said...

If you are listening to FM radio, you are listening to heavily clipped signals...

Watt for watt, clipped or unclipped, it makes no difference...  Like Quentin said...

So some of those articles are just bull?

For the most part they are done or sponsored by manufacturers, and I don't blame them for this.  They are just trying to keep people from blowing their drivers for whatever reason.

I completed a full objective test on this back in 2003-4 ish.  I published the results and people still to this day dispute the facts due to their bias for some reason or another.  If someone else completes a test that is more objective than mine that disputes my findings then I will reconsider my position.

Most people just based their opinions on clipping on gut feeling or what they have heard, almost nobody is objective and scientific about it...

Fact is, if clipping really was that bad, everyone listening to hip-hop on FM radio at close to max volume would be absolutely melting down all their loudspeakers...

BTW, I don't know where the article is, maybe someone can dig it up.  It was call "the clipping effect test"...

Will a clipped signal cause the coils to run hotter and possible damage them?

As Q said clipping creates more power (and hence, heat) over time than a clean sine wave, but as long as this extra power is below the thermal and mechanical limits of the driver then the driver will not be damaged.

Ive been wondering this about SiriusXM. Their channels fluctuate so much with eq, volume, compression etc.