neo_styles

My First ICON Experience

So I've made it pretty obvious that I was ordering a 10" ICON from SSA for a while, but haven't really put up my impressions of it yet. Well, just so happens that I got her in this week and have had a couple days now to play with it. But first, the pictures!

1384917597541.jpg

Was too heavy for the wife to bring in...lol

IMG_20131119_193108.jpgAll concerns about this sub not being packed gingerly and braced to survive UPS' typical mishandling can now be dispelled. The foam blocks were glued to the shipping box itself and the magnet was held in place with more cardboard and a wood basin. I ended up pulling the sub out from the magnet side because I didn't want to damage the foam blocks

IMG_20131119_193924.jpgYay! I has a sticker lol. I'll save this for future use. This sub is sub-stantial (sorry, couldn't resist the pun).

IMG_20131119_194759.jpgThat's a gorgeous-looking motor. More on that later...

IMG_20131119_220805.jpgI'm a big fan of these poly rings being used for spacers and the amount of side cooling this sub offers. The wiring is Audio Technix 10ga that I had lying around.

IMG_20131119_220840.jpgFoam pad meant to prevent lead slap. Ends up being quite effective, IMO

IMG_20131119_220826.jpgMore shots of those poly rings that I happen to love (inherently resonance-resistant), but what stands out to me is that coil. Just like it's peeking up to say, "hello...I'm about to give you delicious, clean bass."

IMG_20131119_194745.jpgBelieve it or not, this is my favorite feature of the whole sub (aside from how it sounds, of course. Instead of just taking a foil sticker and slapping it on the bottom end of the motor, it's encased behind some clear plastic.

Now here's where things got weird. I had an enclosure built previously for my 10" DC Audio Level 2 and was having issues getting the ICON to fit because of the double baffle as well as the inner baffle being about 1/8" too small for the basket. At first, I thought I was going to have an issue, but then a voice inside me said "turn it around, man...let that beautiful magnet be the centerpiece." So I ended up with this:

1384925432098.jpgAnd it literally slid right in there. Mounted normally, the rubber gasket was starting to bunch up, causing issues with it seating flush. But I think reverse mounting was the winning ticket. Here's some more shots:

1384926563258.jpg

1384926706957.jpg

1384926449474.jpg

IMG_20131119_221230.jpg

Placed in for a test fit. The enclosure is just narrow enough to fit in between the two standoffs for the rear deck. And the finished product:

IMG_20131120_083140.jpg

XS D2700 in the stock battery compartment sitting right alongside a Zed Audio Minotaur III. In the future, I will have a second Minotaur and be able to feed the ICON up to 2.6k at 4 ohms. Talk about efficiency and the essques!

So here's my first and second-day listening impressions. I'm just going to copy them out of my MAF build log:

SO! First day of listening to the ICON in the car. Keep in mind that Aaron actually recommended using the SMS enclosure with its 32Hz tuning and I, stubbornly, went with the dcar box anyway (seeing as how I had it at the house)...

Umm holy shit, guys. There's something awesome about this ICON. On paper, it might not look as awesome as some other subs. If all you look at is power ratings, 1250W isn't an incredibly huge amount. And it looks like a Fi . But I'm telling you all that this sub has character. It has low end and in magnitudes greater than I was ever able to experience with the Level 2. I know it's not a fair comparison seeing as how the coil sizes are different, power rating is almost twice as different, blah blah blah, but it was the last sub I ran in my setup. So there. Even running the Level 2 at 2 ohms with twice the power I'm feeding the ICON at 4, the DC can't keep up. This ICON got lower, louder, and cleaner across the spectrum than the DC ever did in an enclosure DESIGNED for the DC.

Today's demo discs were Hardwell Presents Revealed, Volume 4 (mainstream EDM) and Chase and Status - Brand New Machine (Drum & Bass). Hardwell's album produced a good amount of bass. Nothing exceptional, but what you would expect out of radio-friendly EDM tunes. The standouts here were Hardwell's own "Never Say Goodbye," Martin Garrix' "Animals," Armin van Buuren's "This Is What It Feels Like," and pretty much all of Chase & Status' new album in terms of bass reproduction. In a contest of lows, Chase & Status all the way, which really helped show how low this sub could dig. Low, loud, and clean are definitely the ICON's M.O. here, but what amazed me was how much more transparent my sub stage has gotten, even over doing everything I could with the DC. If the ID10 was like getting into your car first thing on a cold morning and the DC was like the first few minutes after running that defogger, the ICON is like the same windshield on a perfect autumn afternoon.

TL;DR = ICON>Level 2, though not a fair comparison. Gets louder, lower, and does it cleaner with a certain sense of character that can't really be described.

---

Yes, yes it is. I still want to do another tune with it, but I've been very impressed with it in terms of clarity of signal and ease of use. You would be tickled pink with it, man. I didn't choose the ICON life, the ICON life chose me

---

More ICON listening impressions today. Listened to a couple more albums:

Chase & Status - No More Idols

Nero - Welcome Reality

Excision - X Rated

Bass is still full, surrounding, clean, low, and (dare I say) WARM. I have yet to go back in and re-tune the front stage for the increased sub stage output, but there's something almost analog in the way the sound of this sub is. It's never overbearing or as in-your-face as the output should be making you feel, which is something I really like. That's not to say it doesn't get loud, but it does it in a way that just feels nice. Listening to one of my favorite tracks of all time, Chase & Status' "Flashing Lights" was just a pure joy and the ICON handled it effortlessly. Nero's "My Eyes" was just like I remembered hearing it live. I almost closed my eyes and saw Hard Day of the Dead's light show going on from when I saw them a few weeks ago.

In a week or two, I'll start putting in some acoustic and live instrument tracks to see how it keeps up with those.

---

More listening impressions will come in over time. I'm looking forward to the suspension to loosen up and see how this thing does after a break-in. Also very happy that I'm getting this response with only 750W available for the sub (4 ohms). Being able to give her rated and more is going to be a real treat.

Edited by neo_styles

Great review man. Never could really tell how beefy that icon motor was until I saw those pics.

Great review man. Never could really tell how beefy that icon motor was until I saw those pics.

Lol neither did I until I had it in my hands. The Level 2 was only 20-something pounds, so this is almost double the sub. 2.5" coil to 3" and so on and so forth. Never knew what I was missing...

Just went in and re-tuned both the front stage and sub using the test tones I made a while back on Audacity. Also set tones with the volume level at 40/50 vice 35/50 to hopefully bring RCA voltage up. I'm not going to go higher than 80% as of now just simply for the fact that I don't have a scope to verify that the signal isn't being sent clipped. What surprised me is that while, last time, I was able to bring my amp gain to match a voltage right at rated before the 0dB light came up last time, I was able to eke a good deal more this time around using a 50Hz@-6dB tone. Last time it was the same frequency, but a -5. Also, before, the protection circuit meant to ramp voltage down to protect the amplifier did not engage, even as I crossed the 750W threshold, but stayed at 750W just for good measure. At this point, the amp's gain knob is just below the 12 o'clock position. As for the front stage, I used a 1KHz@-3dB tone and again set for the amp's rated power of 125W@4ohms.

The results, however, were both good and bad. While it feels like I lost sub output, I noticed the front stage was much more present and full. Methinks there's just a tradeoff here. I've also gained a shit-ton of volume out of the front stage, so maybe I have just been used to listening to a quieter front stage relative to the sub volume. Does that mean I've lost my bass entirely? Absolutely not. I still get that rich, low, environmental bass in its laid-back presentation. I think once the suspension starts to loosen up and I get the second Minotaur in there to feed the ICON rated power, I'll gain a bit more output. This all means I'm still reserving my final verdict, but so far it's pretty much still all positives smile.png

Edited by neo_styles

"I ended up pulling the sub out from the magnet side because I didn't want to damage the foam blocks"

Well holy shit we have a genius on our hands. I have tried my damnedest to not mess those up and never thought of opening it that way. I feel dumb haha. Anyway bad ass sub man they are one of my favorite subs.

Nice write-up!

great write up!

VERY nice review.

dancingsmilie.gif

Mark is a master of writing and wizard of words.

Thanks for the compliments, gents. Just submitted my review to the SSA store. I enjoy writing so long as you guys enjoy reading.

Thanks for the compliments, gents. Just submitted my review to the SSA store. I enjoy writing so long as you guys enjoy reading.

You are a much better writer than me!

Screw writeups...video time smile.png

the ICON is a GREAT sub.. wait till the spiders get loose. the sub really shines then

Edited by bigjon

Video has amazing SQ.  Good sounding system. 

Video has amazing SQ.  Good sounding system.

Thank you. I have a LOT of work to still do, but that is simply deck tuning and amplifier power. Next year's build will allow me a lot more control when I get to play around with a Zapco DSP-Z8, but I have been very happy with the raw signal that comes out of this JVC deck. The only adjustments I've made are using a preset TA value and bucking the top two EQ bands (5-band graphic is my biggest negative regarding that unit).

re: finch say hello to sunshine ... i was really in to finch when i was just out of high school and all the other bands that came out on the same label drive thru, and i really loved the way that album came out, it was a change from their previous work but all in a really great direction. your sub must sound awesome, good review with albums as well. tool an other fav of mine .

re: finch say hello to sunshine ... i was really in to finch when i was just out of high school and all the other bands that came out on the same label drive thru, and i really loved the way that album came out, it was a change from their previous work but all in a really great direction. your sub must sound awesome, good review with albums as well. tool an other fav of mine .

I really don't understand why What It Is to Burn gets touted as "the better album." This was adventurous, off tempo, and chaotic in all the right ways.

But if you want to be in for a real treat, tune your system right and listen to Every Time I Die's Last Night In Town. The whole album. I never thought I would discover staging, space, imaging, and all the benefits of good time alignment from a bunch of Jersey Hardcore kids.