Sign in to follow this  
mandude

2006 Ford Explorer basic install

Hey guys. I have a fair amount of experience with installs in my car, but it was only me driving it. I am getting ready to put a system in my Explorer, but space is more of an issue than it has been before. Questions I have:

1. Without sacrificing any storage space, where is a good place for the amp(s) and a subwoofer? What is the best way to approach this?

2. How do I find out what size speakers I can put in the doors? The depth of the speakers as well.

Hi, I have your explorer, you can fit 6x9s, 6.5", or 7" size door speakers. Does your explorer have third row? One option is to build a false floor over where the seats would fold down. Obviously this involves removal of the third row. The stock amplifier in the cargo area could be used, but it's VERY limited on space. If you'd like, check my build log for ideas.

Using your third row will REALLY limit the space you can use. My suggestion is just to add a small factor 5 channel amp, and replace the stock subwoofer.

It's in the rear panel behind the second row seat, passenger side. Go under team ssa section. Ssa explorer

Found the build log, looks amazing! Thanks for the ideas. 

I will see what I can do with the sub area on the side panel, and I know I can fit an amp or two under the front seats.

Found the build log, looks amazing! Thanks for the ideas.

I will see what I can do with the sub area on the side panel, and I know I can fit an amp or two under the front seats.

Which seats are you referring too? Because the secon row seat isn't really a good spot. At first glance, yes, but because of the necessary hardware that is required to flip those seats up and lay them down flat is in the way! Haha.

I was referring to the front seats, driver and the front passenger.

Oh, not much room for me there either. A) I have heated seats, B) it's illegal for competing C) the amplifiers I use are too large D) installation difficulty

A) I live in Phoenix! B) I don't compete C) I haven't checked yet to see if they will actually fit D) that may be a deal killer. 

I have been looking through other installs, a lot of people put them near the subwoofer on the right hand side. What is on the other rear panel on the other side?

A) I live in Phoenix! B) I don't compete C) I haven't checked yet to see if they will actually fit D) that may be a deal killer.

I have been looking through other installs, a lot of people put them near the subwoofer on the right hand side. What is on the other rear panel on the other side?

Rear a/c unit

If space is a concern, I would grab the zed leviathan, and an DSS Etho 12". Just my suggestion

Zed Mikros are tiny. You could install them pretty much anywhere