EddieC

Upgrade time. Electrical questions.

After attending my first bass off in VA last weekend the bug has bitten. Car will be paid off this summer so it's time to start thinking about uprades. I'm not looking to dominate competitions, but I do wanna get way louder. Right now I'm thinking 2-3k would be good for me. Being that I'm running a 5 channel now I know I'll be adding a second amp for the highs. At this point, will an extra battery in back be enough, or do I need to start looking at HO alts? My stock Scion is only 80 amps. Just got a little tax money and would like to put it on something of value towards this. I found a few amps on Craigslist that sparked my attention, although after reading the Stetsom forum here I think the 2k6d is out now. Alpine MRP M2000 for 350 or Kicker 2500.1 for 500 (at a pawn shop so may could talk them down). Or maybe just wait for something better to come along.

Right now just getting a feel for all that needs to be done for the power I'm thinking. Thanks in advance guys!

Big 3,2nd battery,upgrade the alt to biggest you can get just in case the bug bites again

Get a bigger alternator 1st thing, if you want to add a lot of extra electrical draw to the car's current electrical system, then upgrade the alternator and all your wiring to 1/0 guage(especially big 3 wiring) if it is not already... before you consider dropping cash on a second battery. 

Your current alt, is low output like mine...

Mine is 90-110amps, with a really good battery under the hood and nice 1/0 gauge cable running from the alternator to the battery and amp, and more nice 1/0 gauge running to chassis ground and engine ground coupled with a good install I can run 1500-1600watts rms with out much issue.  In my case I would/and am, also looking into getting a H/O Alternator FIRST, before a second battery OR before asking for more electrical draw from my cars power supply by buying a bigger amp...money will be better spent in that order to keep things powered at a more desirable, even and consistent rate.

Edit:  ...around my area, I WILL NOT trust amps from any pawn shop

Edited by THX_Elite

I would suggest doing the Big3 first and seeing where your voltage is. If you need more juice then add a battery or your HO alt and go from there.

Also, you can never have too much electrical and it's always safer to have more than needed than bare minimum.

I have a bc 3500 I may sell

Sounds like the first thing is to get some 1/0 and do the big 3. I did this with some extra 4 ga from my amp install, but with the power I'm looking at any amp is gonna require that anyways. Thanks guys!

Man that 700 at 4 ohms would be a nice match for these 2 Dcons until I could safely run 1 ohm on something different. Only thing that bothers me about that is what I was reading on the Crescendo forum. Seems people are waiting months on repairs with no communication from the company. That had originally turned my thoughts away from them, although I know most people seem happy with their amps. Hmmmmm...that does look nice though.

Sounds like the first thing is to get some 1/0 and do the big 3. I did this with some extra 4 ga from my amp install, but with the power I'm looking at any amp is gonna require that anyways. Thanks guys!

Man that 700 at 4 ohms would be a nice match for these 2 Dcons until I could safely run 1 ohm on something different. Only thing that bothers me about that is what I was reading on the Crescendo forum. Seems people are waiting months on repairs with no communication from the company. That had originally turned my thoughts away from them, although I know most people seem happy with their amps. Hmmmmm...that does look nice though.
The good news is you likely won't have to have repairs done ;)